Here is an odd Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would it take to get Amtrak to make a "Flag" stop to drop off and/or Pickup passengers?

Here is what we are thinking. A group of us (perhaps as many as 100)would like to ride the train to Folkston GA. Of course there isn't a regually schedule stop at Folkston so we are wondering what it would take to get them to make a "Flag" Stop?

I am sure someone out there knows where we could start at Amtrak to ask these questions.

I asked someone that works for Amtrak, and he suggested you call the Amtrak Group Desk at 1800-872-1477 and see if they can help you out.

Making an unscheduled stop at a town that is not a regular Amtrak stop would depend on whether there is a station where passengers could be safely discharged from the train or boarded. Such a stop would have to be acceptable to the host freight railroad so that it did not intefere with their operations. In many of the places that had passenger service years ago, the infrastructure has long been removed that would allow a safe stop. It will be interesting to see what Amtrak says.

I believe Folkston has an old un-used station that could be appropriate for an un-scheduled stop, however as mentioned above, the real issue will be the authorization from the railroad - CSX - to allow the stop.

The use of "one-off" stops is something that happens occasionally - specifically in NC for the State Fair and in Lexington for the annual Barbecue Festival - which is a one day event, so it is not an absolutely crazy question for Amtrak. The caveat in NC is that NCDOT requests the stops as part of the operation of their trains.

I'm going to be honest, the odds of getting both Amtrak and CSX to agree to it will be hard. Many times when unscheduled stops are made for special events hundreds of people will be attending, and many times it's a charter making the stop. Now, while it is possible I don't see it as being very likely. My best advice would be to contact a bus company in JAX or Jesup (depending on which direction you're coming from and their costs), and charter two buses to take you from the station to Folkston.

haolerider said:
The use of "one-off" stops is something that happens occasionally - specifically in NC for the State Fair and in Lexington for the annual Barbecue Festival - which is a one day event, so it is not an absolutely crazy question for Amtrak. The caveat in NC is that NCDOT requests the stops as part of the operation of their trains.
Two things make the difference: 1. North Carolina DOT is doing a lot to aggressively promote rail ridership in the state. 2. The state owns teh railroad between Raleigh and Charlotte and is spending most of the money that they get from the lease to NS for freight on improvements to the track and stations.

battalion51 said:
I'm going to be honest, the odds of getting both Amtrak and CSX to agree to it will be hard. Many times when unscheduled stops are made for special events hundreds of people will be attending, and many times it's a charter making the stop. Now, while it is possible I don't see it as being very likely. My best advice would be to contact a bus company in JAX or Jesup (depending on which direction you're coming from and their costs), and charter two buses to take you from the station to Folkston.
The problem is that if you don't try, Amtrak managers have no idea there exists a demand for service. I agree chartering buses is the less painful solution, but if nothing else, you make work for someone at Amtrak. One thing can lead to another.

Should Amtrak turn you down, I'd also make sure I rang up my representatives in Congress, making sure they knew the demand for rail travel was "out there" and that Amtrak and CSX aren't able to fufill a need. But that's just me.

If Amtrak turns them down, it won't be because they don't want to do it, it will be because they cannot get permission or it is simply not feasible. The charter group do all kinds of different and peculiar types of moves - although this one is a bit different, since it involves using a scheduled train for a non-conforming stop.

The big issue with adding a stop (especially Folkston) is it really plays into the hands of the politicians that say Amtrak is just for Railfans and people stuck in the past.

On the other hand, if the 100 passengers are paying real money to make the trip, what difference does it make - especially if the balance of the train is fairly full. Nothing wrong with "rail fans" topping off a train.

The issue may be more complicated than it would appear. There are a slew of liability and legal issues with using a facility that is not an “official” Amtrak stop. When a railroad-owned station is used by Amtrak, it is used under terms of a lease that clearly spells out who pays what and who is responsible for what. This stop would have no such legal documentation and if anything, and I mean ANYTHING, happened to anyone, it would be a legal mess.

I know that sounds petty, but in this day and age with everyone suing everyone for everything, that is the way it is. Absent a whole lot of paperwork, it is very unlikely that the host railroad would permit their station to be used by Amtrak even on a one-time basis, and conversely, it is very unlikely that Amtrak would want to.

The only time you'll really see unofficial stops and both sides agree is when there's a service disruption, and they have to detrain everyone to buses. Most times you'll see that at a good grade crossing.

i've heard on the San Joaquin route that the Allensworth stop (http://web.archive.org/web/20041023175007/snow.prohosting.com/usarail/allensworth.htm ) is also an unannounced flag stop that tour groups use on occasion to go to a nearby state park, so it isn't entirely unprecedented to ask Amtrak to make special unannounced stops for groups.

i think you should at least try to contact Amtrak in advance if they could make a special Folkston, GA stop for your group. if not, you could always try to get a charter bus from a nearby town Amtrak stops in(i.e. Jesup), or ask Amtrak if they could stop at a grade crossing that's wide enough to allow for passengers to detrain. still, i'm not the person you should be asking about this, since i honestly have no idea how Amtrak typically handles requests like this..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back