Hello

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BOOGALOO509

Hi all

I am a new member from the UK.

My wife and I are looking into touring on AMTRAK for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. We are considering a tour taking in New York, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Chicago before ending up back in New York.

As independent travellers we will probably be making all of the arrangements ourselves so may well need help and advice on Tickets, Times, Hotels and things/places to visit as our investigations progress.

Regards

John

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited,

Most of your itinerary will be possible, however I do regret to inform you that Nashville does not have any Amtrak service.

If you exclude Nashville from your plans you would likely take the following:

New York - New Orleans on the Crescent (Overnight)

New Orleans - Memphis on the City of New Orleans

Memphis - Chicago on the City of New Orleans (Overnight)

Chicago - New York on the Lake Shore Limited (Overnight)

All these trains run daily.

The next thing to consider would be which class of service to book.

You have the option of a

Coach seat - Which is very spacious and has a considerable recline, much more so than any European train

Roomette - a small private room with two pull down beds (all meals are included)

Bedroom - a large room with a chair a couch that becomes a bed and a pull down bed in addition to your own bathroom and shower (all meals included)

Naturally the rooms are considerably more expensive than the coach seats.

I'm sure that others will have more to add though!

-Sitzplatz17

Hi all

I am a new member from the UK.

My wife and I are looking into touring on AMTRAK for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. We are considering a tour taking in New York, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Chicago before ending up back in New York.

As independent travellers we will probably be making all of the arrangements ourselves so may well need help and advice on Tickets, Times, Hotels and things/places to visit as our investigations progress.

Regards

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though Amtrak can't take you to Nashville I would still highly recommend finding a way there (less than a 4 hour drive) as it's a highly entertaining and vibrant city.

It sounds like a great itinerary and I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.

I'm British and have been living in the US for quite a few years. I'd like you to be aware from the outset that train travel is rather different here in the US.

The long distances mean that most trains are sleeper trains and come with a dining car, that you probably know. Prices are very reasonable compared to the UK if you ride coach class (without a sleeper). The fares for sleeper accommodation vary drastically depending on when you're travelling and when you book. If you can get one of the "low bucket" fares, it can be very good value indeed, especially when you consider all meals are included. However, the higher fares can be very expensive indeed. Check http://amsnag.net/ to find out the lowest fares.

What you may not know is that American trains are very underfunded and this lack of funding causes some difficulties for the traveller. Outside the northeast corridor, the rail network is skeletal at best, and often non-existent (hence no service in Nashville). Moreover, most arrivals from Europe are surprised to learn that so few trains run between major cities. For example, Chicago and Memphis, two major cities within 10 hours' driving distance, are connected by only 1 train each way per day. Another surprise for me was that train stations are often inconveniently located in cities with no easy ground transportation to the central area. That being said, New York and Chicago both have their stations located fairly centrally and have very good public transportation systems. From New Orleans, you'll probably need to get a taxi for your destination if you're staying in the French Quarter. The Memphis station is quite central but downtown Memphis is not particularly exciting, other than touristy Beale Street, and you'll be arriving either late at night (if you come from New Orleans) or around dawn (if you come from Chicago). So you'll probably need to figure out plans for a taxi when you get to Memphis, and perhaps consider hiring a car for your stay there, particularly if you want to see Graceland, which is outside the city centre. For the other cities, you are probably better off without hiring a car.

If you're cutting out Nashville but want to add in another city that's easily accessible by train, I'd say the obvious choice would be Washington, DC. It's en route between New York and New Orleans, is an easy city for tourists to get around (good public transportation, well-located station, densely populated and good walking town). Of course, the big draw is the White House and other government buildings, but there's also a lively cultural scene, some great museums, theatres, live music etc. Other major cities that you're be passing through on this leg of the trip will be Philadelphia and Atlanta, but I haven't been to either, so will let others speak for them.

One more thing -- I do think that it's a shame your itinerary doesn't include any of the western trains. The scenery in the Eastern part of the US and the Midwest that you see from the trains are pretty, but not particularly different from what you see in the UK. The swamp/bayou areas around New Orleans are unique, but you don't get to see a whole lot of that from the train (you should, however, do a swamp tour from New Orleans). By contrast, the Western trains cross through the Rockies, the deserts, the high plains: terrain that feels completely different from you have in the UK. If you want to see what I mean, take a look at these pictures taken from two trains, the Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago, then the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco. http://www.seat61.co...rnia-zephyr.htm . It's a personal choice, but I enjoy the scenery of the western states much more. However, including the west coast would mean you'd have to look again at your whole itinerary. And, of course, the skylines of New York and Chicago are a spectacular sight in themselves.

Even though Amtrak can't take you to Nashville I would still highly recommend finding a way there (less than a 4 hour drive) as it's a highly entertaining and vibrant city.
I agree. I've been there twice and enjoyed it very much.

It sounds like a great itinerary and I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.

I'm British and have been living in the US for quite a few years. I'd like you to be aware from the outset that train travel is rather different here in the US.

The long distances mean that most trains are sleeper trains and come with a dining car, that you probably know. Prices are very reasonable compared to the UK if you ride coach class (without a sleeper). The fares for sleeper accommodation vary drastically depending on when you're travelling and when you book. If you can get one of the "low bucket" fares, it can be very good value indeed, especially when you consider all meals are included. However, the higher fares can be very expensive indeed. Check http://amsnag.net/ to find out the lowest fares.
Actually, very few Amtrak trains are LDs, yet much of the system only has a daily LD. This can cause inconvieniece.

I agree. I've been there twice and enjoyed it very much.
To the OP, you can take Greyhound from Memphis to Nashville and back. Short ride should be fine. Kinda like National Express over where you live.

I would suggest this for the place you want to visit:

1. New York-New Orleans on the Crescent, please book Roomette or Bedroom. You can add stopovers at Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and Atlanta. Baltimore and Birmingham are smaller cities that are also possible, but both of them are not very interesting IMO.

2. New Orleans-Memphis on the City of New Orleans. A Coach seat should be fine.

3. Memphis-Nashville-Memphis on Greyhound (Southern Division), now owned and improved by First from the UK, but problems may still surface. If you get bad luck and a bad bus (usually an extra), you can take the next one.

4. Memphis-Chicago, on the City of New Orleans it's overnight and the Roomettes are cheap so go for one.

5. Four options Chicago-New York:

5a. Lake Shore Limited in Roomette or Bedroom. (scenic when not late)

5b. Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh in Roomette or Bedroom, then Pennsylvanian to New York. (scenic Pennsylvanian, also the latter is very reliable)

5c. Capitol Limited to Washington D.C. (last stop), then any train to New York.

5d. Cardinal in Roomette or Bedroom. Sells out very quick so buy early. Very good scenery but almost never on time. Long and slow ride. Runs only thrice-a-week.

Please remember to use www.amsnag.net for cheaper fares. Please book early, long-distance trains sell out quick. Overnight trains are very prone to delays caused by such things as high heat that bends tracks, cold weather that cracks tracks, rockslides, fallen trees, collisions with autos, engine failure, engine stall, too much passenger load, freight trains blocking the way, food all got eaten so need extra food, etc.. :mellow:

BTW, why don't you sign up as a member?

Can I first of all thank everyone who responded initially and then apologise for the delay in replying. I have been on holiday in Europe for 6 weeks and have only just started looking at this trip again.

We have decided to amend our itinerary to include the west coast as well, we are now looking at flying into New York and staying there for 4 nights, then down to New Orleans for 3 nights, across to LA for 3 nights and finally up to Seattle for 3 nights to see friends, flying back to the UK from Seattle.

I am looking at the AMTRAk site for dates and times etc and have done a brief price check comparing that with the AMSNAG site mentioned above but there does not seem to be any difference.

I will also look into joining the membership scheme, what benefits will I get from it?

I notice also there is a new schedule planned for release in January, does anyone think it will mean major changes to the system that could make it worth our while to hold back from booking everything in case the dates and times we are looking at now become unworkable? I do not want to book seats and hotels etc if the timetable changes and the trains are no longer available, especially the New Orleans to LA one which is not a daily service.

Finally, does anyone know of any promo codes I could use when booking to help reduce costs.

Many thanks once again.

John

Can I first of all thank everyone who responded initially and then apologise for the delay in replying. I have been on holiday in Europe for 6 weeks and have only just started looking at this trip again.

We have decided to amend our itinerary to include the west coast as well, we are now looking at flying into New York and staying there for 4 nights, then down to New Orleans for 3 nights, across to LA for 3 nights and finally up to Seattle for 3 nights to see friends, flying back to the UK from Seattle.

I am looking at the AMTRAk site for dates and times etc and have done a brief price check comparing that with the AMSNAG site mentioned above but there does not seem to be any difference.

I will also look into joining the membership scheme, what benefits will I get from it?

I notice also there is a new schedule planned for release in January, does anyone think it will mean major changes to the system that could make it worth our while to hold back from booking everything in case the dates and times we are looking at now become unworkable? I do not want to book seats and hotels etc if the timetable changes and the trains are no longer available, especially the New Orleans to LA one which is not a daily service.

Finally, does anyone know of any promo codes I could use when booking to help reduce costs.

Many thanks once again.

John
You can book right now, it should be no problem. Your itinerary includes some of my favourite trains. The Sunset Limited NOL-LAX may get a slight schedule change, but it just got a new schedule so that's unlikely. The days are virtually impossible to change. That train also has some great desert scenery though some find it boring (not me). Many Amtrak trains have had the same schedule for decades. Hope you have a great trip!

There won't be any major changes to the long distance trains in January to impact your plans.

Many thanks for the replies.

Have spent all weekend looking for hotels and we are just about there now, so hopefully we will start booking things this week coming.

Even though the trip is still over 9 months away we are already getting excited by this and if we do get flights and AMTRAK booked this week it will seem even closer.

Many thanks once again, I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Regards.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back