Has anyone gotten refund in voucher and then added to another reservat

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
We hope this doesn't happen but we are a week away from our train trip. The weather now looks okay but if it changes, we may cancel within the weeks time. I was told they would refund part of it in a voucher and the other part we would loose ten percent. Okay, this is fine. We also have another trip planned in May (which is also paid for). If we had to cancel, could they apply our voucher to the second reservation and then give us the other cash back to us? Does this make sense?

I assume that you have a trip to ABC planned for next week and in May you are going to XYZ.

I assume that you can cancel the trip to ABC and use the money to pay for the trip to XYZ only if you book a NEW trip to XYZ (using the ABC trip money) and then cancel the original trip to XYZ.

This will only work if the price of the trip to XYZ has not changed much since you first booked it.

The first part doesn't make sense. Why are they only refunding part of your fare as a voucher and part as cash back minus 10%? Why not get a full voucher refund for this upcoming week's travel should you decide to cancel?

Using the voucher to pay for you fare in May would make sense, except that you'll be penalized ten percent on that refund.

However, if you've paid your fare with a credit card but haven't printed your tickets, of course, there is no ten percent penalty. You get a full refund.

I guess I should have mentioned that we have roommettes. That is why I am putting in part refund and part voucher. No we don't pick up the tickets until we leave.

We just had similar situation.

Last year we booked coach tickets from NOL to LFT to bring some of the grandkids on a train ride. We used a voucher from a previous trip - problems with Crescent, Amtrak give us a $90 voucher. We had logistical problems, and had to put our trip on hold. Amtrak held the reservation, keeping an open date. A few weeks later, we were in HMD and bought and paid for tickets for the following weekend to make the trip - the station could not access the prior reservation since Customer Relations had it.

Two days later, we had to cancel the trip. Called Amtrak, they now have both reservations on hold, a total of $150. We sent the tickets back to them. If we would have requested a REFUND they would have taken the 10%. We told them to hold everything. Then family health issues caused us to relocate to Texas, and we almost forgot about these tickets. Called Amtrak Customer Relations and they told us we could make reservations using the two prior reservations, up to a year in advance.

We made new reservations for July, hoping this time we can work things out. But Customer Relations never suggested that we would lose anything - as long as we had SOMETHING booked before the year was up. And we were never asked to pay additional charges, other than sleeper or adding more distance to any trip.

To cancel a paid reservation and requesting a refund, yes, it's a 10% penalty. To voucher the cancelation, no penalty. So I'm a bit confused about the OP. I just had to do that two weeks ago. I had to cut a week off a two week run next Feb/Mar 2011. Thus in reconfiguring, I had enough to make a new res. to head out west, for the start of a July run. The agent didn't flich on payment as the vouchers are the collateral and knew I would be at a station Jan 3rd for my next trip. Turn in those vouchers for the first few legs in July and I'm good. Try that with any other mode of transportation! :cool:

What part are you confused about?
Probably he wonders why you took the hit on the refund, rather than take 100% voucher, unless of course you needed the cash (which isn't any of our business).

A travel or exchange voucher can be used to pay for future travel within the validity period. If you already paid for the future trip, you get money back. What I'm not sure of is if, for example, your voucher is for $300 and the cost is $250, do you get a $50 voucher back.

The real drawback is that vouchers have to be presented at a staffed station.

What part are you confused about?
Probably he wonders why you took the hit on the refund, rather than take 100% voucher, unless of course you needed the cash (which isn't any of our business).

A travel or exchange voucher can be used to pay for future travel within the validity period. If you already paid for the future trip, you get money back. What I'm not sure of is if, for example, your voucher is for $300 and the cost is $250, do you get a $50 voucher back.

The real drawback is that vouchers have to be presented at a staffed station.
You hit the nail on the head of my confusion. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back