Handheld GPS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Costco has a good deal on the Magellan Roadmate 360 this week (a coupon). We have been considering getting one, and are considering this deal. We want it for our RV trips, etc. We do not want a system that goes with our laptop, we want a handheld system. And since it's from Costco we can return it if it is lame.

Is this something that would be fun to take on the train? This is kind with all the built in maps. Would it have stuff to show on the train (since were not on roads?) Any comments?

Thanks!

A GPS is a nice thing to have to find out where you are, and know what towns are nearby (signage along the railroad is often poor from a passenger's point of view).

Even though it's handheld, you could probably buy an attachment cable that would enable it to be used with your laptop, and use better software (e.g. Microsoft Streets & Trips) than the built-in maps on your GPS unit.

I usually do take one of my two little Magellan GPS 300 units along. They were less than $100 each when I bought them back pre-2000. They don't have maps, but I bookmark the station locations so that on succeeding trips I can get a good estimate of time and distance to the next station and so forth, and it also helps if we take a train to, say, Miami, and rent a car, It makes it much easier to find the station because although it doesn't give you maps to follow, it points to the station from wherever you are, and makes it pretty esy to find the station without having to pore over road maps while driving. I also took one or the other of those two GPS units on mission trips to the Yucatan and to Brasil, and it's kind of neat to have those Mexico and Brasil bookmarks to page through from here in Florida.

The trick in using the GPS units on the train is that you have to keep the units very close to a window pretty much, or use them in a Superliner observation lounge with that big expanse of plexiglass overhead (a single-level lounge car also works pretty well for GPS since you can put the GPS on the table right at the window, and it has a better, wider, higher "view" from there than from a regular coach), because the GPS signal won't go through metal, and unlike with cellphone towers that are basically within a couple hundred feet of the ground, or FM broadcast stations which are up to !,000 feet or so of the ground (and therefore pretty much always able to "see" you through the windows of the car), the GPS "transmitters" are satellites, and are just as likely to be directly overhead as to be near the horizon. If the skin of the rail car is between your GPS and the satellite, the GPS unit won't hear a signal from it. The GPS signal is a VERY high frequency and works like a flashlight beam - if doesn't "go around corners" or go through metal objects. You can also anticipate losing the signal from the GPS if you go through an area where a very thick forest canopy is above or close around the train (just like with a flashlight beam, thick foliage drastically attenuates the signal strength), or through a tunnel, or that sort of thing, and you may also lose tracking for a minute or two when the train makes a change in direction, because the metal skin of the train , when it changes direction of travel, frequently cuts off the signal to the satellites it had been using to track on, and it has to find new ones to track with. Also, of course, over any period of time that you are using the GPS, those satellites are constantly moving in orbit anyway, and they will pop in and out of view of the GPS as they do so, since while you are on the train you have a pretty narrow window of view for those signals.

Lastly, the GPS has to have at least 3 satellites in view in order to work out a current position, and there will be times when it only has one or two satellites in view from your train window. When that happens, it will stop updating your position until it finds and locks onto a third satellite. The GPS is an amazing piece of technology, but it does have limitations. It's much easier to use successfully when you understand how it works. Have fun with it.

I have a Magellan Meridian Colour Handheld and always take it along on trips. A great little toy! I bought the add-on topographic map package. Besides roads, rivers and contours it also shows all railways including yard track, jcts. etc. The map is displayed in colour on the unit along with a constant readout of speed, elevation and direction. There’s usually good reception at a window seat but the best spot is in the dome on the Canadian or Ocean!

I even take it along on the plane. Don’t know about US airlines but Air Canada doesn’t have a problem with them. I always ask first and just use above 10,000 ft or when the seat-belt sign is off. Just like any other electronic device. (Fun to watch the little icon move across the map display at 550mph+ along with the altitude!)

I really enjoyed using my GPS receiver on the train. It was interesting knowing where you were, how fast you were going, distance taveled, etc. at any given time. I let my receiver stay on during the entire trip so I could record the GPS track history for use on my computer when I returned home. Just keep in mind how much memory your unit has and often it records data. Most units will either stop logging or overwrite stored information once your memory has been used up. I was able to store more than 22 hours of data on my e-trex using its default track logging mode (produced about 3600+ track points).

I recommend using Lithium batteries since they will last about 1/3 longer than Alkaline in typical applications. "Your mileage will vary" depending battery power save and screen display options.

As others have described, you'll need to keep your unit close to a window in order to receive the GPS signals.

Deimos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back