Hair hygiene

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Jim_*

On June 28 my wife, son, and I start out from Richmond, VA, and will end up in Emeryville July 1 (who knows the hour). From DC to Chicago we all travel coach. From Chicago to E,ville we have one roomette, which means I might be traveling coach the whole way. Hopefully, my wife and I can swap off nights in the roomette(my son gets to go 1st class both nights) and therefore have access to a shower. But maybe not. If I have no access to a shower (and I believe it's true that coach riders don't have shower access), is there any way to wash one's hair? The rest of the body I can figure out, but the hair has me a little concerned, as I scare myself and others when the hair gets unclean and unruly. Has anybody found a waterless shampoo that actually works? If so, what is it and where do I get it? I hope nobody out there thinks this is a ridiculous question, but I haven't seen it discussed and 3 1/2 days without hair hygiene is a long time. Thanks.

Has anybody found a waterless shampoo that actually works? If so, what is it and where do I get it?
Check a camping supply store for 'waterless' or 'no rinse' shampoo. Or, perhaps a medical supply store (it is used for bedridden patients). I've found that it works well. You completely wet your hair with it, work it into a lather, and then dry your hair. Not as great as shampoo, but, better than nothing at all. At the chance of getting into trouble here, there is a website that sells small, travel sized items, and this shampoo is included in their items for sale. Their address is www.minimus.biz.....You may not be able to get it delivered from them quick enough for this trip, unless they offer rush delivery. But, as mentioned above, a camping supply store, or perhaps an outdoorsman supply store (cabela's, sportsmen warehouse, bass pro shops, etc), should have it.

Enjoy your trip!

There's a 'No-Rinse' shampoo (brand name) which you should be able to find either at a beauticians or a

pharmacy. Home health care services would probably have some, as well.

Another tip....if you can't find the no rinse shampoo is to use some baby powder. Just dust it in and work it thru...it helps to soak up some oils and at least makes your hair smell nice too. My next suggestion is a baseball cap. A salvation for bad hair days.

Thanks to all for the replies! I guess I confirmed my first suspicion that as a passenger in coach there is no way to wash hair the old fashioned way--with water. In years past I had seen waterless shampoos but didn't know if they were still made or if anyone actually used such products. At least now I know they are still made and that they are better than nothing. Too bad I'm not a hat wearer. Jim

How old is your son? I have definitely heard of families of two adults and one small child booked into a single roomette- you may just need to call an agent and ask. I have been booked into a roomette (by calling) with three people- myself and two small children (ages 2 and 5), and that trip our neighbors were a father with two children ages 5 and 8 (so not nearly as tiny as mine). If your son is older, though, then yeah, I guess that's probably not a desireable option.

Not sure how quick your hair gets dirty? My suggestion would be to wait till you get to your hotel in CA. After travelling from VA to CA you will definitely need a break.

I'd also be sure the hotel has a free pickup service. Trying to find your way could be the last thing you need. The best soap/hair gel may be the free supplies the hotel carries!

hairhose.jpg

I used to be a "hat wearer" in my earlier stages of life until I started having receeding hairlines and began acquiring a "monkey's butt" on the back of my head. :lol: At that point I wear hats very little, but a good hat is excellent on bad hair. I call it a "hat shower". I take hat showers almost every Saturday morning. I get up, read the paper, brush teeth, put on deoderant and walk out the door to do errands and take that "hat shower" as I walk out the door. :) I don't care if I look like crud at the hardware store or coffee house. I don't care what the strangers think and my friends know I'm a "sharp dressed man" when I need to be!

Thanks for the tips. I still can't figure out what post #8 is. I found out yesterday that Wal Mart carries the No Rinse shampoo. For some reason they carry it back with the drugs in with the pharmacist and you have ask the pharmacist for it. Kinda strange. Anyway, got some and I'll try it and also bring a hat in case it doesn't work so well!

Someone mentioned minimus.biz. Thanks! I wnet there and they have very cool stuff..alot of which is helpful for LD train travelers (including the rinseless shampoo). My favorite item (which I ordered ) was mini duct tape rolls..I'll be all set. Free shipping over $20.00. Really neat site.

Thanks for the tips. I still can't figure out what post #8 is. I found out yesterday that Wal Mart carries the No Rinse shampoo. For some reason they carry it back with the drugs in with the pharmacist and you have ask the pharmacist for it. Kinda strange. Anyway, got some and I'll try it and also bring a hat in case it doesn't work so well!
#8 seems to be a faucet attachment to use for washing your hair in a lavatory.

Good idea.

I have found that Witch hazel is awfully effective for cleaning hair. I just soak a paper towel with it, rub my hair with it, then dry my hair with another paper towel or two. Witch hazel has some alcohol in it (not as much as rubbing alcohol though) so it's effective at removing oils & it makes my hair FEEL clean & it behaves like it's clean after this treatment too. I have pretty short hair though so your mileage may vary. It's available in any drug store, usually right next to the rubbing alcohol & hydrogen peroxide. I've even found it in travel sized bottles. In years past, the label even used to suggested using it for this purpose.

This might be out of the question, but I noticed on our Empire Builder trip this spring that a number of stops were for nearly and hour, and usually they were announced on the PA so people could get off and stretch or smoke.. Wonder if you couldn't slip into the station and wash your hair in a large basin in there? Just be sure you know what time it leaves again. At one stop we had people getting off and going to the local tavern while we were there.. You could sure wash your hair in that time.

I don't plan on going any distance of any time without getting at least a roomette and thus access to a shower, but what I might do if plans change is to bring along my Mr. Kool-Aid pitcher. :D That way I could use the pitcher to wash and rinse my hair at one of the basins in the bathrooms. Of course, you'd want to make sure something like that is completely dry after use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back