Great Middle Western Odyssey '09

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet tea

Service Attendant
long time no post, but i thought i'd write up our year-hinge trip for anyone who'd like to read it.

first installment coming to you live from the chicago metropolitan lounge. pictures and updates to come after we've wandered around outside a bit:

Step one: NYP>WAS

This was supposed to be the easy part. 11:35 from NYP to WAS, arriving 2:59, leaving us just over an hour to catch the Cap. A guaranteed connection and no problem in the generally-punctual NEC, I figured. The snow that walloped the east coast two days before the trip left my wife worried enough that I sat on hold for 30 minutes the day before our trip, to be reassured by the Amtrak agent that this was indeed no problem. “Train does it every day.” “Even with the snow?” “No problem.”

After the usual last-minute leaving-town business (“I only have enough medicine for half the trip! What do you mean the pharmacist hasn’t shown up yet?” and the like), we hopped on the best little train in NYC, the Franklin Avenue Shuttle, transfered to the C to Penn Station.

We arrived at Penn with a bit over an hour to spare, checked our luggage through to LRK (via the LSL), bought a bagel and lunch to eat on the Regional, and headed to Club Acela….where they informed us that the 11:35 was delayed, no one knew how delayed — maybe canceled — and if we wanted to see if we could get on the 11:00 Acela and actually make our connection in WAS, we’d better get to the Station Manager, pronto.

At the station manager’s office, they confirmed what we knew: that we’d likely miss our train. The agent we talked to called down to WAS to see if the Cap was scheduled to leave on time, which it was, told us the 11:00 was sold out, the LSL was sold out, there were no other options, and all we could do was keep calling Julie to see if the Cap became delayed. All of this sounded a lot like we were going to get stuck in WAS for the night and end up in coach on the Cap the following day (since I assume sleepers would have been sold out). No fun. Obviously, the delay wasn’t the fault of the agent, and I’ve dealt with worse customer service people — he wasn’t rude or anything — but it was frustrating that he didn’t seem to make much effort to think through other options (like, could we have taken a train to Pittsburgh and met the Cap that way?). It didn’t seem to bother him much that we were being set up to have a pretty unpleasant trip.

We left the office frustrated, and then noticed that the (delayed) 10:35 Regional was still listed as boarding (at almost 11). Even though it was running late, we figured it might get us to WAS in enough time for our connection, if they’d let us ride. We booked it back to the office, waited in a short line, and by the luck of the draw wound up with the other agent, who told us to run to the gate and ask. “Tell them Valerie said it was okay.” After a brief confusion at the gate, we were told to ask down on the platform, where someone (I think maybe a redcap, actually) told us to just do it. We were a bit worried about what the conductor would say when he came for our tickets, but he couldn’t have been nicer. Yay, Valerie!

The ride through the NEC is unusually pretty, thanks to the deep snow and the frozen marshes in northern NJ. The white background makes the objects that are in color — trains, houses, trees, blue sky — look like drawings on an otherwise blank piece of paper. When we’re moving fast, the loose snow flies around us and gives the strange sensation of looking through fog at a brightly sunny world. The train is full, but we’ve found seats and may be able to sit together once my seat-mate gets off at Philly. So far, so good.

…And, a few long siding stops (weird on the NEC) later, we have made it to WAS, in time for the Cap! Arrived about 3:15 (scheduled 2:01). Awfully glad we didn’t take no for an answer and wait on the 11:35 — it’s not due here until 5:00, and the Cap is still scheduled to leave on time at 4:05. The lounge is crowded and the Wifi seems not to work, but I’m happy to be perched on an end table nibbling potato chips, instead of arguing over hotel accommodations.

Well so far so good. Looking forward for the rest of the trip!

The train for Pittsburgh leaves at 10:50 AM i think, so it might have been to late for that choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, LTR, i discovered that later. the fellow i sat next to on the regional had been supposed to catch that train at NYP, had either forgotten or never known (he was a bit vague). the conductor just told him to get off at philly and catch it there.

step 2: WAS>CHI

The Cap did indeed board on time and leave pretty close to on time — maybe 10 minutes late. Our roommette is on the lower level, which I like a bit less than upstairs, but is otherwise fine. The kids down the hall seem to have settled down (though their mother was always more the problem than they). Our attendant, Brian, is friendly and helpful and doing his best to make the woman across the hall happy though she’s having none of it. (No idea what she’s upset about.) We have opened our high-end box of wine (no need to carry extra glass), fired up some New Orleans Jazz at a reasonable volume on my laptop, and commenced to enjoy the scenery. The moon is a thin crescent over the snowy woods.

Announcement: we’re stopped because we’ve “hit an obstruction on the tracks” (deer?) that has knocked an air hose loose. They say they’re fixing it, that it shouldn’t take long. …And indeed, it didn’t. We’re moving again after only 5 minutes or so.

We hit another deer later in the evening — came to a halt with our nose in a tunnel. (They announced that this one was a deer.) Took a bit longer to fix that one, so we were called to the dinner with only emergency lights. Nonetheless, folks were in good spirits. The lights came back by and by, and we enjoyed some nice, thick, medium rare steaks. :D

We stopped for a long break in Cumberland to make sure the hoses were good and on before we headed out into the night. The crew did a great job of keeping passengers informed of the reasons for the stops, which kept people pretty happy. The first-timers we sat with at dinner commented specifically on how nice it was to know what was happening.

There was snow everywhere we went, deeper in the east. Passengers at Martinsburg, WV, had to wade quite a distance across the tracks through shin-deep snow. The snow made it possible to see the scenery a bit, and even after dark this is beautiful country. Whenever we passed through even the smallest towns, Christmas lights strung on trees and houses reflected in the snow.

Our roommette was number 12, downstairs next to the stairs. Until now, I’ve had no preference among rooms, but now I do: I hope to avoid that one in the future. The attendant buzzer sounded like it was in our room, and the clattering from people fussing in their luggage and those boarding at Pittsburgh in the middle of the night was not awesome. (To say nothing of the aforementioned mother hollering down the hall at her daughters.)

For breakfast, we had french toast & bacon, scrambled eggs with grits, sausage, and biscuit. I love that I can get grits on the train. After breakfast, I began to wonder whether they’d substitute grits for oatmeal in the continental breakfast. I may try that next time, as the eggs are my least favorite part of the meal and the biscuit — while edible enough — is hardly worthy of the name.

What with all the deer and such, we fell a few hours behind, but we made up much of it in the night. By the time we got to Alliance, OH, we were about an hour back; but we still made it to Chicago right on time!

Interlude: Chicago

One of the great advantages train travel has over flight is the ability to use lay-overs for something other than gorging on Cinnabon and vegging out over the latest Twilight book. I love the fact that trains arrive in the middle of cities, making it possible to leave the naugahyde environs of the waiting area. Downtown Chicago offers many delights — on previous lay-overs, we’ve gone to the Art Institute, window shopped at Marshall Fields (no, I will not call it Macy’s), and gone ice skating under the bean. However, when traveling through Chicago between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it would be criminal not to visit the Christkindlmarket at Daley Plaza.

The Christkindlmarket is a Bavarian-style outdoor fair, whose wooden booths bristle with art glass and carved wooden ornaments, Russian nesting dolls and custom-etched steins, all under the protection of red-and-white striped awnings. It’s cold, of course (except inside the large glass-ornament house, where the crowds keep you snug — in the old days, the glass-blowing exhibition tent was toasty, too), but nothing takes your mind off the cold and snow and wind like a mug of hot Gluwein. Unless it’s a grilled bratwurst and a plate of potato pancakes. If it’s snowing too hard, you can eat inside a wooden hut, but it’s more fun to stand at one of the outdoor tables and watch the crowds. Most of the people working in the booths are young Germans (and some Poles and Ukranians, depending on the booth); the fair closes early on Christmas Eve so they can be home for Christmas. In short, this place is as close to heaven as you’re likely to find in the Chicago winter.

It was snowing and windy, but neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night would keep me from my appointed rounds here. We bravely hiked the blocks north and east, and were richly rewarded for our trouble. Could decide between bratwurst and potato pancake, so we got one and then the other. My only regret is deciding not to have any gluwein, as it was eleven in the morning and they were sold out of the commemorative mugs I like to collect. Ah, well. Next year.

Back at the station, we took advantage of the rule that arriving sleeping car passengers may use the Metropolitan Lounge and settled on a sofa there, even though our tickets to Little Rock were coach. We also bought our tickets for a later jaunt to Michigan (Chicago to Battle Creek and back, right after New Years). We shouldn’t have waited, as at least one of our preferred trains was sold out. This was my first attempt at buying tickets from a QuikTrax machine (though I’ve printed tickets purchased online plenty of times), and we encountered an odd bug: I gave it my credit card and bought two round trip tickets (for the same trains, etc.), but since it never asked for a second traveler’s name, all four tickets were printed with my name. Since there was no line, we traded them at the ticket agents’ counter for correctly printed ones. The agent said it was a constant problem and puts the conductor in the sticky position of having to ignore that the second (third, etc.) traveler’s ID doesn’t match the ticket (rather than kicking paying passengers off the train for no fault of their own).

Sounds like a great trip so far! The info from the OBS crew is outstanding, lots of crews never know themselves what's going on, lots of times pax with scanners let them know what's happening! If you are an AGR member the machine printing the tickets in your name isnt' a bad idea since you can get all the points unless your sig other is also a member?

Look forward to the trip to LRK and your future trips! Happy Holidays! :)

Always good to encounter a German Christmas market, can't go wrong with a Bratwurst and a cup of spiced warm wine!

Most civilized....... :cool:

OH -- heh. should have asked the Cap diner crew if they could add a special under unusual circumstances.

jimhudson -- AGR ARG! just remembered that the other thing i meant to do at the ticket counter was deal with points -- i didn't know my number offhand for the machine. i'll have to call in, maybe when the lines aren't going crazy from the NEC problem + holiday nuttiness.

And then: CHI>LRK

We decided last year that taking a sleeper CHI>LRK is only marginally worth the money, as we only get one meal and we get off in the middle of the night, which means we’re not going to get a good night’s rest anyway. Not only will be have to get up at 3 or so, but I generally lie awake for most of the night even before that, worried that the attendant will forget about us and we’ll wake up in Texas. Granted, there are other nice things about riding in a sleeper, but it’s hard for me to justify the cost, all things considered.

Since we had come in on a sleeper, we waited in the Metropolitan Lounge for boarding, which was certainly preferable to the main waiting area. (Last year we rode this train after spending a week or so in Chicago, so we didn’t have the Lounge as an option.) We boarded at about the same time as the rest of the coach passengers, but apparently no one had told the Lounge attendants that they were using a color-code system to assign coach cars. There was some confusion figuring out whether we were green or blue, whereas before it’s always been enough to state our destination. Once underway, it became clear that we’d also missed passing our tickets in — no one ever asked to see them on the train, so I guess they were collected in the main waiting area.

Train is moving well so far, more or less on time. Between Pontiac and Bloomington-Normal, we stopped for 10 minutes or so for “required” “routine” “preventative” “inspection”. No idea what that means.

The train is completely sold out, at least as far as Little Rock. I looked it up online today (to see if there was any chance of an on-board upgrade) and saw no seats of any kind available. Folks are in good spirits (for the most part) despite tight seating, which is good, since a few other things are slightly jankety. Credit Card machine down in the lounge and will be until San Antonio. The CCC has dinner menu only tonight — I had been hoping to order off the “all day” list, as we’re in coach and those are cheaper. A bit surprised at the restriction right after leaving Chicago. Also no mention of the chicken when listing available options — only steak, ribs, and “saLmon.”

The crew is a bit disorganized about their announcements but quite friendly. They are scrambling to accommodate an eleven-member family on this very packed train. As of Springfield, they’re assigning seats, which the woman behind us says she’s only seen once before on this train, despite riding often for work. Two rather tattooed men a few rows back agreed to sit together to help out, saying, “and I’ll only charge you two beers.”

“Fair enough,” the crew member replied, “but I can’t buy them myself when I’m in uniform.”

“You buy, I’ll fly.”

And so the deal was done.

Somewhere north of Lincoln, we run out of snow. I’m surprised it was this early — I was expecting white fields through most of Illinois.

The train stopped at the flag-stop of Carlinville, a first for me. A few people thought they’d take a smoke-break and we’re surprised that the train was already moving again by the time they got down the stairs. A lot of unhappy smokers on this train — no one seems content to wait for the only smoke-stop they’ve announced, St. Louis.

By the time we pulled into St. Louis, we were well into our enormous plates of ribs, which were really quite good. Evidently the inevitable turkey plate supplanted the chicken. I was pleased to find that the crew on this train had brewed iced tea. I’ve found this is almost always true of the trains running into the South, and I’m glad both that it happens and that it happens informally. I’d hate to see the national office decide to stock some awful powder or Brisk or something.

In the CCC is the same LSA as 2 years ago — recognized her by her festive headgear. This time it was a band of felt holly; last time full on antlers. She’s lovely — wish I’d caught her name.

Consist was:

Engine

Sleeper

Sleeper

CCC

SSL

Coach

Coach

Coach

The train arrived and left STL right on time and seemed to move well through the first half of the night — I didn’t wake up for Poplar Bluff or Walnut Ridge. When the wake-up for LRK came, I was confused by the time on my phone — 2:28. I thought my phone must not have managed to reset itself to Central Time, but No! We really did arrive 40 minutes EARLY!

A perfect ride, all around.

A good trip on the Eagle! It's packed going North all week, usually, as the lady said, not so busy! Glad the OBS did ya'll right, there's lots of great crews on this train! Good point about updating with AGR after the holidays but I'll bet they are not so busy till after New Years, the office is in Canada and they do get more holidays than down here! Thanks for the positive, fun report! Happy Holidays! :)

Hmmm, well, for some reason I can't edit those posts anymore, so I'll just add some pictures down here. More here, too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54011584@N00/...57623081552660/

4220071422_19376f39bd.jpg

The Best Little Train In NYC: The Franklin Avenue Shuttle

4220085172_f00e5c5f9d.jpg

Art At Franklin Station (C line)

4219325317_998ee492b4.jpg

Snowy NEC

4220095084_6e78941a54.jpg

4219344817_0443602683.jpg

At WAS

4219356911_f13151583d.jpg

Deep Snow At Martinsburg

4220137046_63f51ddcc0.jpg

Frohe Weihnachten!

4220160000_b5e0918f18.jpg

Chicago Union Station

4220198936_9e78c61b57.jpg

Texas Eagle at Little Rock

4219418755_a5cca5793d.jpg

At LRK -- one of many vintage posters

getting a bit behind in posting these -- we're in Michigan now, but i need to get us from Little Rock to Chicago in the story. We actually arrived in Chicago on 12/29

TE was already at the LRK station when we pulled up at 11:20 or so; I’m not sure how early it was. It was COLD out, believe it or not — after that big rain/snow storm, temperatures dropped very low for this part of the country, and we were chagrined to see that the weather was warmer back in New York. Quite a lot of people were outside to smoke, nevertheless.

We have a sleeper for this leg, but there seemed to be some confusion about that between the conductor and…his assistant? Not sure who the other man was. At any rate, the room number they gave us was the same as the one on our ticket, despite a certain amount of shuffling of papers and mutterings about how they could or could not give us this or that room. They were clearly a little surprised at our presence. Just put your suitcases on the rack and head up, they said, after taking our tickets; your attendant will be around.

The room (7, upstairs, middle of the car) was as usual already made up for sleeping when we boarded — the pillows are at opposite ends of the bunks, which I haven’t seen before that I remember. There’s also a mirror on the wall at one end of the top bunk. One of the dining car crew was hanging out in the doorway of our car to smoke, so I was able to go back out to the platform and talk with my parents until the train left at 11:39, right on schedule.

It’s nine in the morning now, and we’ve just left Alton (on time). Still no sign of any attendant. Our car (32044) is okay but in less than stellar repair — the sink downstairs is stuck dribbling; the one up here has two H handles on the faucet, that kind of thing. The “cold” handle blasts the water in a manner reminiscent of a jet engine. If there is an attendant, s/he’s not doing well stocking the place. No hangers in our closet, no water in our room, no coffee or cups in the usual spot. (Also no route guide or timetable — I have a spare timetable with me but forgot to grab a route guide in Chicago, which I’m sorry for. I should download one to this computer.) On the other hand, our roommette does feature a puzzling assortment of loose screws and metal oddments. The intercom is EXTREMELY quiet when it works at all, so it’s lucky that I was downstairs using the bathroom in St. Louis in time to hear a very faint “last call” or we would have missed breakfast entirely.

The dining car crew is cheerful and friendly and all-around great, despite imperfect circumstances. The dishwasher is broken — the utensils are therefore plastic — and they’re out of a lot of food. No bacon or oatmeal at breakfast; we got the last two cups of orange juice. I ordered the quesadillas, which were fine, but mostly I just ate the pork sausage and grits, which is plenty of food. Our tablemates were on their way back to Ann Arbor from Dallas; they had come down during the flooding. Their train got through, but they reported the strangeness of being surrounded by rippling water, of cattle with only their heads visible. (Sure hope those cattle got dried out before the weather turned cold — there was plenty of ice and snow even in Arkansas.)

After breakfast we pulled our call button and eventually went looking for help converting our beds to chairs, but had no luck. We did our best to do it ourselves, but although we hefted the bottom mattress up top and slid back the chairs okay, we can’t get the upper bunk to stay up. Lucky neither of us is extremely tall or claustrophobic. I am thinking of writing a letter to Amtrak about the lack of attendant, given that some assistance and attention is part of what we’re paying for. I’ve had the occasional indifferent attendant on this train, but this is another thing entirely.

We are moving very well. In fact, we got to St. Louis so early that I thought it must be Poplar Bluff, since it was still dark out. By the time I began to wonder and checked the time it was 6:45, but I think we were closer to an hour early. (The train is scheduled to arrive in St. Louis at 7:19.) Alton and Carlinville have both been right on time. The past two Christmases, the TE has been like this, while in my previous experience, it could be relied upon to be hours late. Did something change about Amtrak’s relationship with UP? I shouldn’t say this while we’re still en route [Yes — Ed.], but I can’t think of a time we’ve been on a siding this trip, in either direction, and we’ve only moved slowly once or twice, never for long.

Can someone tell me what this means? At Carlinville, I see a spur of rail splitting off to the right of ours, with a neatly lettered sign alongside it reading “DERAIL.”

It’s beautifully clear and sunny, so you know it must be bitter cold outside. There’s snow on the fields and ice in the low places — in one swamp, the trees had high, white collars of snowy ice several feet above the present water level, presumably from the recent flooding. In other places, the high branches still sparkle from an ice storm. Outside of Alton we saw what I think has to have been an eagle in a tree. Shaped like a hawk but very big, and very brown/black when it took off. Not a vulture, from its wing shape and flying habit.

Good thing we didn’t eat much at breakfast, because the LSA, George, came by a bit past 10 to say that we’d better go to the diner right then if we wanted lunch at all, as they were very low on food. (We also prevailed upon him to get the top bunk up, which he did swiftly and with good grace. I guess we just weren’t pushing hard enough.) This is the fourth day out for this train, as I gather it is stocked in Chicago for the trip out and back, and there’s only so much they can carry. We were just about the first table waited on, at which point they had in stock: 5 salmon salads, 8 veggie pastas, 20 burgers, and some number of veggie burgers. We had salmon salads, which were really quite good, and passed on dessert, since we didn’t want it so badly and there was hardly any of that left, either.

We spent a little time on a siding for inaudible reasons and were about 20 minutes late into Lincoln, always the cutest stop on the trip. 15 late to Bloomington. Made up the rest of the time en route and arrive on time in Chicago. A fine trip except for the lack of attendant.

Really surprised about the invisible SCA! I ride this train frequently and I've not had this happen to me (the CONO is a different story!), next time this happens ask the conductor or a/c to find them for you! In a pinch the LSA can also call for you! Sounds like it was really cold up that way, not as bad as the Western trains or back east but cold for this part of the country! The food situation is a problem on this train, the second day is usually when they run out or low on most items, perhaps when the daily train starts on this route (2012?) theyll have a commisary in FTW or even SAS to stock up! In my experience the diner crew on this route is always pretty friendly and helpful but it could be because they get the spend the night in Austin before going back north to CHI! :lol: (THe LSA George is a very helpful/friendly OBS)> Be sure and contact Amtrak Customer Relations about this lazy SCA,you also might get a nice voucher to use on the next trip! :) Call and write a letter so the good and the bad get noted by the proper people @ Amtrak!

Can someone tell me what this means? At Carlinville, I see a spur of rail splitting off to the right of ours, with a neatly lettered sign alongside it reading “DERAIL.”
That sign indicates that a Derail device is present on that spur track. Most spurs have a derail, some are manual and some automatic, that move when the switch is moved to connect with that spur.

A derail is a metal device that is clamped to the rail. It's purpose is to do exactly what's implied, derail a train or a runaway car. Should someone forget to properly set the hand brakes on a car sitting on that spur, it could start rolling depending on the slope of the tracks. A runaway car is not something that one wants to meet head on with another train. So the derail is supposed to kick the runaway car off the tracks and onto the ground, preventing it from crossing the switch, damaging the switch, and potentially hitting a moving train.

And I would definately file a complaint with Amtrak regarding the lack of an attendant. It's just too bad that you didn't ask George for your attendant's name, as it would have made it easier to file a complaint.

I too would let Customer Service know about the attendant - or actually the lack of. And also mention that you had to reset your own beds in the morning!

In my experience the diner crew on this route is always pretty friendly and helpful but it could be because they get the spend the night in Austin before going back north to CHI! :lol:
Maybe they're just happy to be getting away from Austin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for explaining the derail, alan. i figured it was something like that, but it looked like a strange order. ("Derail! Now!")

i will write to customer service and let you know what comes of it. i hope we will get a voucher of some kind.

and now, without further ado...

Train 364, the Blue Water

5:00 pm — We are pulling out of Union Station, almost an hour after our scheduled departure of 4:10. Boarding was accomplished very quickly — 15 minutes from the beginning of general boarding until the train began to move — but everything before that was rather lousy. The lounge was crowded and unpleasant, and while there were occasional announcements that we were delayed for mechanical problems, people were getting very cranky. I’m not sure what the station can do about the crowding, but I sure wish they’d do something. Standing around cheek to jowl while confused people barge around, trying to fit themselves and their bags through miniscule gaps in the line for no particular purpose starts passengers off in a bad mood which I imagine must be wearing for the onboard crew. (On the train, there have been repeated apologies over the PA, I assume partly in response to crabby passengers.) Also, perhaps this is just me, but it seems like boarding happens slightly differently every time. My wife commented that while airplane boarding is not so pleasant, she always knows just what to do, no matter what airport she’s in, whereas every general boarding at a train station involves a period of confusion about where and whether we should line up, etc.

These short-haul trains are where I think Amtrak should be on its very best behavior in terms of customer ease and so on, because these are the easiest trains to avoid taking. A passenger on a long-distance train likely has good reason for not flying and at least isn’t overly concerned with speedy travel, but a train like the Blue Water is in competition with cars and highways. Our trip is scheduled to take about only a little less time than driving would. We’re taking the train so we can relax, as, I imagine, are most people here. While we were standing around in the packed lounge, wondering what was to become of us, I heard people commenting about how they should really just have driven.

Oh well, if nothing else this should help us better appreciate the first class lounges we’ll get to use in Chicago and DC when we go home next week.

I didn’t realize there was any checked luggage on this train, but there is a cabbage (term always cracks me up) at the back end. Its number is 90218. At any rate — and I know you all will cringe when I say this — it is awfully cute. And, on a more serious note, awfully packed with snow and ice. I was a little afraid at first sight that this was our engine, but we have an ordinary new-looking one in front.

We never did make up any time — thank heavens the cafe car was open and well-stocked — and arrived in Battle Creek just about exactly an hour late, grateful to have shared a hotdog, chips, and a couple of beers and even more grateful to be away from the fellow who’d brought his own aboard and spent the whole trip bellowing about football. Our family was a bit peeved to have sat in the parking lot that long, but sometimes not answering your cell phone is its own reward. (We did call, and they had also said they would call Amtrak to check for themselves and clearly didn’t.) No serious problems, but not my favorite trip ever.

yes! i will add some once i have gotten them off my camera. SOME people around here seem to think there are things for me to be doing other than posting on train forums! go figure! ;)

You said "the lounge" and "didn't know where or when to line up". Did you wait in the Metropolitan Lounge or in the main waiting room? :huh:

Even though you were departing on the Blue Water (in coach - or even in BC), because you arrived (the same day :huh: ) via sleeper, you were entitled to use the Metro Lounge at CHI! ;)

You said "the lounge" and "didn't know where or when to line up". Did you wait in the Metropolitan Lounge or in the main waiting room? :huh:
Even though you were departing on the Blue Water (in coach - or even in BC), because you arrived (the same day :huh: ) via sleeper, you were entitled to use the Metro Lounge at CHI! ;)
oh, i wasn't very clear. i meant the main waiting area. we couldn't use the metropolitan lounge, because we spent several days in chicago before this leg of the trip. believe me, we would have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back