Governor snubs Amtrak and Stimulus $$$

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
Today's headline in the Baton Rouge, LA paper reads "Governor Turns Down Rail Route." In trying to establish rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans it seems as though everyone in Louisiana would like to see the service start except for our governor. The deadline for the Republican governor to apply to a Democratic administration for rail funding is today. Jindal's office is signaling that there will be no such move to ask for rail service. He is also the same Republican who turned down Stimulus millions. At present, we have a bus service, started after Katrina, that is usually packed to standing room only. The governor and his staff say they can't afford to subsidize a rail route for the citizens yet flies each and every Sunday in a state police helicopter to various Louisiana towns under the guise of "Sunday Worship." Louisiana politics hard at work...as usual.

I know this is OT, but many things in politics do not make sense. In RI, we have a Governor and a Lt Governor. A few years ago, the Governor went to Iraq to visit local troops. During the weekend he was gone, RI had a major snowstorm. So of course the LT Governor took over, right? :huh:

WRONG! She is not second in command! (Actually it was the head of the Emergency Management Agency - but he did not know it, so it was a big mess that weekend!)

So why pay the $XXX,XXX salary for a position that has no power? :huh:

I know this is OT, but many things in politics do not make sense. In RI, we have a Governor and a Lt Governor. A few years ago, the Governor went to Iraq to visit local troops. During the weekend he was gone, RI had a major snowstorm. So of course the LT Governor took over, right? :huh:
WRONG! She is not second in command! (Actually it was the head of the Emergency Management Agency - but he did not know it, so it was a big mess that weekend!)

Because its not like a military operation. If Obama is over in Europe Biden doesn't become the President, he's still the Vice President and the President is still the President. Now if your Governor died or resigned their office (as Gov. Palin did) then the Lt. Governor takes over.

The secondary executive only takes the office if the primary executive is rendered incapable of doing their work... either by death, resignation, or other severe duress.

I was unaware that Amtrak had completed a study of the New Orleans to Baton Rouge route, and had given an estimate on start-up and annual costs, yet the article says that the state can't afford the $18 million a year for the train.

That seems a bit high, since Amtrak just estimated annual costs on the proposed 3C service in Ohio to be $17 million a year, and that's a 255 mile route. Baton Rouge is about 80 miles from New Orleans.

Because its not like a military operation. If Obama is over in Europe Biden doesn't become the President, he's still the Vice President and the President is still the President. Now if your Governor died or resigned their office (as Gov. Palin did) then the Lt. Governor takes over.

The secondary executive only takes the office if the primary executive is rendered incapable of doing their work... either by death, resignation, or other severe duress.
Not always true. In Kentucky when the Governor leaves the state for whatever reason, the Lt Governor takes over and has all the powers of the top office.

And, we can have a democrat in one of the offices and a republican in the other. Doesn't happen often, but it has. When it does the Governor never leaves the state as the Lt Governor starts doing things the Governor doesn't want done!

Not always true. In Kentucky when the Governor leaves the state for whatever reason, the Lt Governor takes over and has all the powers of the top office.

And, we can have a democrat in one of the offices and a republican in the other. Doesn't happen often, but it has. When it does the Governor never leaves the state as the Lt Governor starts doing things the Governor doesn't want done!
It depends upon the state's constitution, however, when most states wrote their Constitutions (with regards to executive branch) in a mirror to the US Constitution's treatment of the Presidency and Vice Presidency.

It depends upon the state's constitution, however, when most states wrote their Constitutions (with regards to executive branch) in a mirror to the US Constitution's treatment of the Presidency and Vice Presidency.

Kentucky isn't a state. :)

Someone check my figures-

According to infoplease.com, Louisiana's population last year was 4,410,796.

So if I figured it right, it would be $4.08 per person per year.

I'm not sure if that's unreasonable or not, but that would be per person, and since not everyone in each state pays taxes, then I would assume it would fall on the others that do pay taxes.

Likewise, at Lynchburg on Wednesday, Joe Boardman slipped and said "the state of Virginia", but quickly corrected himself :) I've actually spent most of my life living in three of the four commonwealths, but never Kentucky.

Likewise, at Lynchburg on Wednesday, Joe Boardman slipped and said "the state of Virginia", but quickly corrected himself :) I've actually spent most of my life living in three of the four commonwealths, but never Kentucky.
Come on down - we'd love to have you here in the land of beautiful horses and fast women - no, wait . . .

Yes I know. Thats why I don't cross the Ohio river too often lol...

Louisiana isnt a state either, its a state of mind!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even for Louisiana that clown is something else, is it true they call him Booby? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on down - we'd love to have you here in the land of beautiful horses and fast women - no, wait . . .
I'll be on the re-inaugural Kentucky Cardinal just as soon as they re-instate the train!!!

Well, isnt there a country song about this, faster horses, older whiskey, younger women etc.?? :) Ive always wanted to see horse country, my Kentucky experience is limited to riding the City through @ night and, as ALC mentioned, crossing the river from Cinn to Sin City, er the airport! :lol:

Ive always wanted to see horse country, my Kentucky experience is limited to riding the City through @ night and, as ALC mentioned, crossing the river from Cinn to Sin City, er the airport! :lol:
Actually the area south of the river (called Northern Kentucky) has been pretty much cleaned up and is a great tourist area, now. Lots of shops, restaurants, a world class aquarium, and an Oktoberfest to kill for.

Central Kentucky, where I am, will have the 2010 World Equestrian games at the Kentucky Horse Park. First time it has been out of Europe and we're proud to have it here. My wife and I already have our house rented out as there aren't enough hotel rooms in the area.

Ive always wanted to see horse country, my Kentucky experience is limited to riding the City through @ night and, as ALC mentioned, crossing the river from Cinn to Sin City, er the airport! :lol:
Actually the area south of the river (called Northern Kentucky) has been pretty much cleaned up and is a great tourist area, now. Lots of shops, restaurants, a world class aquarium, and an Oktoberfest to kill for.

Central Kentucky, where I am, will have the 2010 World Equestrian games at the Kentucky Horse Park. First time it has been out of Europe and we're proud to have it here. My wife and I already have our house rented out as there aren't enough hotel rooms in the area.
Thanks Tom, that sounds really cool! When I make it back to Ohio/Kentucky Ill be sure and visit the new tourist area across the river, also want to rent a car and drive through your neck of the woods since there are no trains there! :)

Fast Kentucky woman?

crenshaw.jpg

She escaped from prison. In Pee Wee Valley.

I don't know if she fled on foot, or took a horse.

Or an iron horse.

Which brings us back to trains . . .

Apparently she was recaptured.

the land of beautiful horses and fast women
That second claim requires verification; my flight leaves tomorrow.
He's talkn' Kentucky, so I think he mean't fast fillies and not fast women! Take a cold shower and save your money for your next rail adventure! :lol:
My next rail adventure will be to Kentucky for a late night check! It will be a fast trip to find some of those fast women! :lol: (I'm allergic to horses! :p )

BUT - in RI, the LT Governor I don't think would take over. And the President (or Governor in this case) usually makes a statement of who will be in charge during his absence - but this was not done at this time. (In fact nobody knew the Governor was away.) So nobody "took charge" during the storm - because they were waiting for "someone else" to authorize what needs to be done. (Such as plow roads or close schools!)

This lack of command resulted in terrible roads during rush hour and some school kids not arriving home on their school buses until after 11 PM! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back