Good hotel near LAX terminal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertF

Service Attendant
My wife and I will be taking the Coast Starlight from SEA to Los Angeles in September. Anyone know of a good (ie: Marriott, Hilton class) hotel near the train station?

There are some "high" class hotels near it. Best way to research is by using hotels.com. Make sure you select "LA Amtrak Station."

Taxis are available at the front of the station, so are the light rails.

There are some "high" class hotels near it. Best way to research is by using hotels.com. Make sure you select "LA Amtrak Station."
Taxis are available at the front of the station, so are the light rails.
You can stay downtown. There is the subway from Union Station to Downtown. It takes about 10 minutes. You can get a decent price on a 4*room in downtown LA on priceline. I use them all the time.

Actually, the Metro Plaza is kind of a dump - VERY little attention paid to more than minimum standards in motel-keeping. Check out the former New Otani (has a new name, just google it), or the Bonaventure, the Marriott on Figueroa, the Standard, or the Hilton Checkers - all are just a quick Red Line (subway) or very short cab ride from LAUS.

How dumpy is it? I'm trying to figure out what my layover cost in LA will be. I don't mind it being less-than-5-star, but I want it to be safe and clean.

How dumpy is it? I'm trying to figure out what my layover cost in LA will be. I don't mind it being less-than-5-star, but I want it to be safe and clean.
ample evidence of roaches, occasional rodent sightings (not entirely their fault - some of the businesses on the rear of the building are filthy); no smoking, but you'd never know it from the smells - the only real advantage is that the bathrooms are large, but there's nothing to them other than extra square footage - call the Marriott!

Aloha

I seem to remember 2 of our members thought it was an OK place, 1 lives in area.

Even on Trip Advisor, most reviews say the Metro Plaza is OK or above. (True, there were some "never again" reviews, but there also were some "excellent" reviews!) I'm not expecting a palace, but I hear it's not a dump either. (I never stayed there - yet!)

But given the choice between $79 (and <5 minute walk) for an overnight layover or $$$$ for a 4-5 star hotel (plus cab or subway, etc...), I'll take the $79! ;)

Even on Trip Advisor, most reviews say the Metro Plaza is OK or above. (True, there were some "never again" reviews, but there also were some "excellent" reviews!) I'm not expecting a palace, but I hear it's not a dump either. (I never stayed there - yet!)
But given the choice between $79 (and <5 minute walk) for an overnight layover or $$$$ for a 4-5 star hotel (plus cab or subway, etc...), I'll take the $79! ;)
Just like I said in my previous post, you do not have to spend a fortune on the Bonaventure. You can get it or another 4* through Priceline for around $60-80, depending on your dates. I would rather spend money on a decent hotel and take the subway on a 5 to 10 minute ride to Union Station.

I lived in LA for over 30 years and still stay downtown when we visit. If we can make the gathering, we will be staying downtown on a priceline bid.

A very nice hotel in LA is the millennium biltmore. Very nice stayed there once I would stay there again if I have to since I have friends in the area. Thier have been almost 1,000 films etc. filmed at the hotel ask for a list of movies filmed at the hotel. 5-10 minute taxi ride. Very nice park near by also access to the metro red line.

Good Luck,

Acela150

With a history of touring on the cheap with traveling bands, I have first-hand knowledge of what dumps and fleabags are. The Metro Plaza is not a dump, it is safe and clean, and since I've never been used to paying for being pampered in the lap of luxury merely for a place to crash, suits me just fine. Of course there are drawbacks:

The TVs are pretty lame, with archaic remotes that make you search up and down for channels.

HORRORS!!

The elevators are slow and, of all the rotten things, might have to be shared with foreign tourists from such clearly destestable nations as England, Germany, Australia, and worst of all, Switzerland. Just try to stop those people from yodeling!

HIDEOUS!!

And the continental breakfast stinks. Clearly a major handicap in a city which offers no other dining options whatsoever.

UNTHINKABLE!!

On the other hand, I've found the wireless internet service to be far better and more reliable than hotels costing much more. Maybe that's just me, but I think it's important.

On several stays I've seen neither hide nor hair - or any other evidence - of vermin of any kind (above mentioned yodeling Swiss notwithstanding).

And of course the reasonable rates and LAUS proximity cannot be overstated.

My name is WhoozOn1st, and I approved this message. :lol:

we stayed at the metro plaza in january. very nice rooms, good complimentary breakfast, a block from union station, reasonable rates, interesting area of town
It's a very interesting part of town. Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail is on Bauchet just a little north of the Union Station. It's gets really interesting in the wee hours of the morning when the "patrons" get released from the "Graybar Hotel."

<_<

It's a very interesting part of town. Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail is on Bauchet just a little north of the Union Station. It's gets really interesting in the wee hours of the morning when the "patrons" get released from the "Graybar Hotel."<_<
Well said, from squeaky-clean suburbia, where the Sherriff was forced to quit because he, his ex-mistress, wife, and various politcal cronies are all known crooks under indictment for subverting law enforcement in favor of financial gain. Watch your wallets in Orange County, because those clowns are still at large. You don't wanna come face-to-face with a fake deputy, who has a gun permit and badge only because he bribed the Sherriff, demanding money as you leave Disneyland. Desperadoes who will do anything to meet legal expenses.

And please, what would anybody be doing hanging around the jail in the wee hours? No trains then. No transit. Good luck getting a cab. No reason to be anywhere other than in one's SAFE hotel room, resting up for the next day's activities.

With a history of touring on the cheap with traveling bands, I have first-hand knowledge of what dumps and fleabags are. The Metro Plaza is not a dump, it is safe and clean, and since I've never been used to paying for being pampered in the lap of luxury merely for a place to crash, suits me just fine. Of course there are drawbacks:
The TVs are pretty lame, with archaic remotes that make you search up and down for channels.

HORRORS!!

The elevators are slow and, of all the rotten things, might have to be shared with foreign tourists from such clearly destestable nations as England, Germany, Australia, and worst of all, Switzerland. Just try to stop those people from yodeling!

HIDEOUS!!

And the continental breakfast stinks. Clearly a major handicap in a city which offers no other dining options whatsoever.

UNTHINKABLE!!

On the other hand, I've found the wireless internet service to be far better and more reliable than hotels costing much more. Maybe that's just me, but I think it's important.

On several stays I've seen neither hide nor hair - or any other evidence - of vermin of any kind (above mentioned yodeling Swiss notwithstanding).

And of course the reasonable rates and LAUS proximity cannot be overstated.

My name is WhoozOn1st, and I approved this message. :lol:
They've had the breakfast room shut down more than once by the health department, for various reasons, including vermin infestation - and I've stayed there probably a total of 80 days over 4 years (I work for "a certain transportation provider"), so believe me, there are plenty of little creepy crawlies around. I've also found the wi-fi to be hit and miss - it works about 75% of the time. And there IS a reason that they lost their Days Inn franchise last year (they'd been a Days Inn for a couple of years before the corporation revoked their franchise for poor standards).

It's a very interesting part of town. Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail is on Bauchet just a little north of the Union Station. It's gets really interesting in the wee hours of the morning when the "patrons" get released from the "Graybar Hotel."<_<
Well said, from squeaky-clean suburbia, where the Sherriff was forced to quit because he, his ex-mistress, wife, and various politcal cronies are all known crooks under indictment for subverting law enforcement in favor of financial gain. Watch your wallets in Orange County, because those clowns are still at large. You don't wanna come face-to-face with a fake deputy, who has a gun permit and badge only because he bribed the Sherriff, demanding money as you leave Disneyland. Desperadoes who will do anything to meet legal expenses.

And please, what would anybody be doing hanging around the jail in the wee hours? No trains then. No transit. Good luck getting a cab. No reason to be anywhere other than in one's SAFE hotel room, resting up for the next day's activities.
Nice rambling post. <_<

The County of Orange is not squeaky clean, for the record. Nor are most urban counties.

As to resigned OC Sheriff Mike Carona, scheduled for criminal trial June 10, this household bears no responsibility for his malfeasance in office as we voted against him in the two general elections when he stood for office. Take it up with his cronies, when they make bail.

I work 14 blocks south of LAUPT where South Central LA meets up with Vernon. A supposed assault leaving Anaheim Disneyland is the least of my worries.

And nobody hangs around outside the LA County Jail, the gentleman poster stated it was an interesting part of town. I simply agreed with him.

Chill out, guy.

I don't think the hotel is a dump. Granted I didn't see the rooms or stay there, but on my recent visit to LAX (last month) I did go in the lobby and check things out and talk to some people who were staying there and everything seemed okay. For $79 you can't beat it. If I ever had to stay in LAX in a hotel I would stay there. (Luckily my best friend lives in Santa Monica, so I have a "freebie") Like Whooz says, it's not luxury or anything, but when other hotels are double, I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

The biggest perk is within walking distance of the station... very easy, 5 minute walk or less.

But ahhh... you solved my question... why there was a Sheriff's "bus" parked in front of the hotel when I arrived.

RT

I regularly stay in hostels around the US so when I get booked into a hotel thats considered a "dump", I usually feel like I'm at the Hilton! :lol: If it sucks, you can always check out and find somewhere else. I find it CRAZY to pay $200+ a night to lay down, shut my eyes, pay lil' to no attention to the room and hand them a days wages for it. When I'm travelling, the place I spend the least amount of time (awake) is the hotel room.

I have often stated that I have no money, and thats an accurate statement: I don't. However, I had the blessing and curse of growing up in a family that had quite a bit of it. Its a blessing because, when it came to important things, I wanted for nothing. My parents didn't give me everything I wanted (I'd be driving a '79 or '80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II, brand-new Morgan Plus 4, Ariel Atom, or Caterham 7 CSR if they did :rolleyes: ), and I wouldn't say I was spoiled silly, or became a spoiled brat- I stopped throwing I WANT IT tantrums about age 5 or 6, which I suppose is about the normal age.

But I did have everything they thought I honestly needed (decent computer, a safe[and nice] car, a college education, and so forth) and quite a few things I didn't need but really liked (I got a really nice computer when I graduated high-school and college, they paid for the whole car, not just enough to bridge what I had to an amount to buy a safe one, and so on). They didn't let me buy all the things I wanted myself at times (I'd be driving a Porsche 968 cabrio, an Alfa Romeo 164 or Spider, or a Maserati Biturbo were that the case).

But on the other hand, its a curse. Because while I wasn't spoiled silly, and wasn't/am not a spoiled brat, I still got spoiled. Once in a while we stayed at decent 3 stars (Holiday Inn was the most common of these), but more often 4-stars (Local or Marriott/Wyndham/Omni/Etc.) or 5-star places. When I took a few vacations of my own, primarily with friends, I tried staying at really inexpensive hotels. A quality inn, a Econo-lodge, a privately owned roachtel, and a Days-Inn. I didn't like them. I didn't like the surly impersonal service, the limited sanitary standards, and worst, the uncomfortable beds. Perhaps I'd be more tolerant of it had I stayed in lesser accommodations in my youth. Given my lack of monetary ambitions, I suppose I better come to grips with the idea of tolerating them, though.

I wonder why I am so verbose today?

Wow... sounds like my upbringing, though I will confess that I'm not bad off finally now, but it's all based on what I've done for myself for the most part... 12 books published, etc... (I bought my own computer, in 1984 my 50+ year old father thought they were a fad!). My folks helped me with school, and paid for half of my car.... We traveled a lot and like you I was used to 4 and 5 star hotels. I am brining my kids (5 of 'em!) up the same way.

I have often stated that I have no money, and thats an accurate statement: I don't. However, I had the blessing and curse of growing up in a family that had quite a bit of it. Its a blessing because, when it came to important things, I wanted for nothing. My parents didn't give me everything I wanted (I'd be driving a '79 or '80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II, brand-new Morgan Plus 4, Ariel Atom, or Caterham 7 CSR if they did :rolleyes: ), and I wouldn't say I was spoiled silly, or became a spoiled brat- I stopped throwing I WANT IT tantrums about age 5 or 6, which I suppose is about the normal age.
But I did have everything they thought I honestly needed (decent computer, a safe[and nice] car, a college education, and so forth) and quite a few things I didn't need but really liked (I got a really nice computer when I graduated high-school and college, they paid for the whole car, not just enough to bridge what I had to an amount to buy a safe one, and so on). They didn't let me buy all the things I wanted myself at times (I'd be driving a Porsche 968 cabrio, an Alfa Romeo 164 or Spider, or a Maserati Biturbo were that the case).

But on the other hand, its a curse. Because while I wasn't spoiled silly, and wasn't/am not a spoiled brat, I still got spoiled. Once in a while we stayed at decent 3 stars (Holiday Inn was the most common of these), but more often 4-stars (Local or Marriott/Wyndham/Omni/Etc.) or 5-star places. When I took a few vacations of my own, primarily with friends, I tried staying at really inexpensive hotels. A quality inn, a Econo-lodge, a privately owned roachtel, and a Days-Inn. I didn't like them. I didn't like the surly impersonal service, the limited sanitary standards, and worst, the uncomfortable beds. Perhaps I'd be more tolerant of it had I stayed in lesser accommodations in my youth. Given my lack of monetary ambitions, I suppose I better come to grips with the idea of tolerating them, though.

I wonder why I am so verbose today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back