Getting off at stations, etc.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I'm overwhelmed by the wonderful feedback I've received. Your comments are invaluable to me.

SarahZ - if we board in Palatka, FL northbound and Penn Station, NY southbound do you think we will have trouble sitting together? I hadn't thought of the possibility that the trains may be full and that we could be separated. Or that perhaps one of us would be seated next to a stranger who snags the window seat!

Devil's Advocate - I think the power outlets will be our saving grace! Also, I'm a picture nut so hopefully I won't get too much flack!

FormerOBS - I'm a little disappointed that the coach attendant tells us where to sit. Although it makes perfect sense how you describe it. I was hoping to sit in the back where you can look out of the little back door window.

neroden - For some unknown reason, I had envisioned leisurely stops in each state during which we would grab a quick bite of local/regional specialties. LOL. What was I thinking!

VentureForth - I always plan for worst. Always. Also, I totally understand what you are saying about a 5 year old. You're right, he probably won't specifically remember it, but I do think the experience itself will somehow be forever engrained in him. We could probably take the train for a shorter distance, to a different city, etc, but the thought of taking a train all the way to NY for the first time ever is awesome ... how can I pass it up? :)

I always rode the Southern - it looks like we'll take the 98 silver meteor north and 92 silver star south. I will have to research the routes so that I know what to look for. Any advice?

Guest_Guest_* - Based on all the feedback, we will definitely not be leaving the train. :)

Thanks to you all!!!

You should most likely get seats together. One reason the car attendant assigns seats is because he or she has a list of upcoming passengers and wants to plan ahead so groups can get seats together.

And if for some reason you don't, it can't hurt to ask someone to move. I know I'd probably be inclined to move if I was travelling alone and someone asked me politely.

if we board in Palatka, FL northbound and Penn Station, NY southbound do you think we will have trouble sitting together? I hadn't thought of the possibility that the trains may be full and that we could be separated. Or that perhaps one of us would be seated next to a stranger who snags the window seat!
I can somewhat speak to boarding the Silver Meteor in Palatka, FL - Usually the coach attendant will assign seats when you board. Hopefully, you will get seats together. The coaches on the Silvers are in front of the train. If there are sleeper passengers either boarding or departing in Palatka, the train may make two stops. The first station stop after Palatka is Jacksonville, which is a fairly long stop. Normally (unless the train is really late), there will be a crew change there (conductors and engineers) and the train will be serviced. There is usually plenty of time to get fresh air and/or walk into the station and purchase something from the vending machine. Rarely is there a long dwell in Savannah. Generally there is time to get fresh air in Richmond, however, I would not leave the platform.

My suggestion is to try to get a Red Cap in New York, which should insure your getting seats together.

Enjoy your trip!

When you make your reservations, ask the res. agent to put a TRANSPORTATION NOTICE on the manifest to notify the Attendant and Conductors that you will need 3 seats together. This should improve the odds for you. Seats in the coaches are 2 + 2, so you will not have 3 in a row as on a plane. One seat will probably be across the aisle. Unless there's been a staff change, the usual agent at Palatka is a really nice guy. If you live in the Palatka area, you might want to stop by the station, meet the agent, and possibly have him make your reservations for you. Bring your son with you when you do, and try to make it around train time. The train times for the Silver Meteor and Silver Star are published. The Auto Train doesn't have a published time for Palatka because it doesn't stop there. It goes through around 4:05-4:25 p.m. northbound; any time between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m. southbound every day.

Tom

Childhood memories: In 1950, when I was four, my mother took me to Florida to visit the grandparents. I wanted to go by train, but we ended up going by bus. I remember only two things about the trip: First, They announced our entry into Georgia & I looked out & saw beautiful rural scenery; Second, I threw up on the bus, which made me rather unpopular. Hopefully your son, at the ripe old age of five, will have better memories, and more of them.

Tom

I still have some memories of taking the train from NYC to Orlando at the age of five. I don't remember much, but I have a few vivid images from being in the sleeper bedroom and I remember it being a very interesting and exciting experience for me.

I would not be paranoid about your belongings either, although when I have slept on an overnight coach trip I have kept my carry-on bag (a big travel backpack) on the floor below me and put a leg through the straps, just to make it a little more inconvenient to any would-be thief.

In my experience, different trains handle seating in different ways. On the Empire Service trains in New York, the conductor or attendants will generally tell you which car to sit in (they put all of the people going to New York City in one car) but you are free to pick your own seat when you board. I think the Lake Shore Limited was like that too. But on the Cascades train in Seattle, there was a preboarding line where the conductor gave each passenger a slip of paper with a car and seat number on it. He did take requests, like mine for a window seat on the water view side. I assume if the train is sold out or very full they are more likely to assign seats.

VentureForth - I always plan for worst. Always. Also, I totally understand what you are saying about a 5 year old. You're right, he probably won't specifically remember it, but I do think the experience itself will somehow be forever engrained in him. We could probably take the train for a shorter distance, to a different city, etc, but the thought of taking a train all the way to NY for the first time ever is awesome ... how can I pass it up? :)

I always rode the Southern - it looks like we'll take the 98 silver meteor north and 92 silver star south. I will have to research the routes so that I know what to look for. Any advice?

Thanks to you all!!!

The first train trip I remember taking was when I was about 5. And at that age I decided I would always ride the train!

In May, unless the Star is horribly late you go through the scenic areas of Virginia in daylight; leaving DC, a number of views along the Potomac river; the James river, the ride through Quantico.

Crossing the Rappahannock at Fredericksburg, look to the left as you cross the bridge and you can see the riverbank of Ferry Farm, the boyhood home of George Washington, on the right side of the river is where the Union troops tried to cross the river during the Battle of Fredericksburg.

A short time later, a glimpse of the civil war battlefields if you know where to look: on the left you will see Meades Pyramid and Lees Road is on the right of the tracks. Next is the awesome ride down the center of Ashland with Randolph-Macon on the left and the lovely victorian homes on the right.

In Richmond I enjoy what most probably consider the boring views of the rail yards.
And when I can't sleep late at night or wake before dawn,I find it just as compelling scenery traveling through the downtown streets of some small Carolina towns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back