Getting from CHI Union Station to Midway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gregory

Train Attendant
Hi,

We are scheduled to arrive on the CZ from Reno into Chicago on the last Sunday in June. We fly out of Midway ten days later. I got a great deal on a rental car from there and booked a hotel near the airport for the night we arrive. Any suggestions on the best way to get a family of four to Midway? It seems like a taxi might be the easiest with our luggage. That's the current plan but I'm always open to better ideas.

Thanks,

Mark

Can the party of 4 walk ok ?

if so, I used this 'orange' line to airport before with bags, no issues, very quick and easy.

Midway: Orange Line elevated trains leave from the elevated station

at the corner of Quincy and Wells streets, three blocks east of Union Station.

Pay fare in elevated station.

I was headed exactly the opposite direction when I went through Chicago, but I think you can still do this if you call. The Airport Express vans are like cheaper taxis to and from the airport and have a whole lot more room than a taxi except it's usually not just your group riding in the van.

Just a warning: if you have a lot of luggage, the Quincy/Wells station can be difficult to navigate--it is a historic station still in much of its original form, and you must climb several narrow stairways to reach the El platforms. AFAIK, there are no elevators.

Two blocks north of there is the Washington/Wells station, which does have an elevator.

And it's 'L' not El.

Okay, it sounds like the Orange Line is the way to go. We are booked on roomettes for the trip. Does that mean that I could leave my wife and kids with the luggage in the lounge at Union Station and go get the car myself? That would save on the hauling of the bags.

As for the earthquakes. I've only felt the big one last Friday and about twelve hours worth aftershocks. It shook our house pretty good and woke me out of a sound sleep. It also knocked some pictures off of our shelves. Everyone keeps speculating that the big one is coming but, who knows? I'll be happy when it subsides.

Mark

Okay, it sounds like the Orange Line is the way to go. We are booked on roomettes for the trip. Does that mean that I could leave my wife and kids with the luggage in the lounge at Union Station and go get the car myself? That would save on the hauling of the bags.
Mark, there is absolutely no reason that you can't do that. They are entitled to use the lounge as sleeping car passengers. You may find the attendants confused at first, as they sometimes just figure that everyone is connecting to another train. But again, you and your family are entitled to use the lounge by showing your ticket stubs.

The slightly bigger problem might be not getting hassled when you try to stop the car to pick them up, unless you get lucky and find a parking spot. The best place IMHO though would be on Clinton Street, which would mean that they would have to walk out through the Great Hall. Perhaps one of our Chicago friends may differ from my thoughts, so please go with their advice if they know of a better place to stop.

As for the earthquakes. I've only felt the big one last Friday and about twelve hours worth aftershocks. It shook our house pretty good and woke me out of a sound sleep. It also knocked some pictures off of our shelves. Everyone keeps speculating that the big one is coming but, who knows? I'll be happy when it subsides.
Hopefully you'll be safely in Chicago when the Mole People emerge to wipe Reno off the map.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a fine and safe trip.

I'd designate a place that seems to be empty enough most of the time with your family, then use a cell phone when you are about 5 minutes out. Then have them meet you as you pull up. If they are a bit slow, use the old New York trick of Stand and Circle, where you stand if it is traffic permitting, and circle the block if it isn't or if someone complains. That way you don't have to park. This is assuming you are able to load your car fast. My dad and I have done this a few times. We've got it down so that we can load five people and 3 huge rolling bags in about 30 seconds, from first application of brake to application of gas.

Admittedly, though, my urban driving experiance is in "anything goes" Manhattan, where lanes are loosely defined, laws loosely enforced, and almost anything that doesn't block traffic is tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd designate a place that seems to be empty enough most of the time with your family, then use a cell phone when you are about 5 minutes out. Then have them meet you as you pull up. If they are a bit slow, use the old New York trick of Stand and Circle, where you stand if it is traffic permitting, and circle the block if it isn't or if someone complains. That way you don't have to park. This is assuming you are able to load your car fast. My dad and I have done this a few times. We've got it down so that we can load five people and 3 huge rolling bags in about 30 seconds, from first application of brake to application of gas.
Admittedly, though, my urban driving experiance is in "anything goes" Manhattan, where lanes are loosely defined, laws loosely enforced, and almost anything that doesn't block traffic is tolerated.
I think the idea of getting the car and returning is a great one. There is plenty of public parking around the area. You might have to walk a block or two with luggage, but it should not be too bad unless they are severely immobile.

I would take your family and luggage and grab a cab to Midway, get the car, and go to your hotel. There are four of you so the cost of the cab per-person will not be that bad. Since your hotel is out near the airport it does not make much sense for you to go from the station to the airport, pick up the car, drive back to the station in Chicago traffic, find a place to park, pick up the family and luggage, and then drive back to the airport to go you your hotel. You'll waste about two hours of your time doing that when you might prefer getting into your room and relaxing for a while. A cab will run about $35. If it saves you driving a round trip from MDW to downtown Chicago and back. that seems like money well spent.

I would take your family and luggage and grab a cab to Midway, get the car, and go to your hotel. There are four of you so the cost of the cab per-person will not be that bad. Since your hotel is out near the airport it does not make much sense for you to go from the station to the airport, pick up the car, drive back to the station in Chicago traffic, find a place to park, pick up the family and luggage, and then drive back to the airport to go you your hotel. You'll waste about two hours of your time doing that when you might prefer getting into your room and relaxing for a while. A cab will run about $35. If it saves you driving a round trip from MDW to downtown Chicago and back. that seems like money well spent.

I'd love to save some money but I have the feeling that a taxi, right at the curb, is going to look more appealing than just about any other option when we arrive. Especially if the train is late getting in on that Sunday. Of course, there is something about the experience of using the public transportation system and seeing a different view of the local area.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and various options. I'll probably change my mind a couple of hundred times between now and then.

It should be a fun, first, overnight train trip if Reno doesn't get sucked into the ground before the day arrives.

Mark

I'd love to save some money but I have the feeling that a taxi, right at the curb, is going to look more appealing than just about any other option when we arrive. Especially if the train is late getting in on that Sunday. Of course, there is something about the experience of using the public transportation system and seeing a different view of the local area.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and various options. I'll probably change my mind a couple of hundred times between now and then.

It should be a fun, first, overnight train trip if Reno doesn't get sucked into the ground before the day arrives.

Mark
At least the Reno issues don't seem to be Volcanic. Can you imagine training by an active volcano in the middle of the desert? That would be a trip!!

Mark
I'd probably take a taxi myself. Midway is not that far away (as opposed to O'Hare) and it's just less of a hassle factor. You might look into the airport shuttle too. I don't know if they do Amtrak, but you would have more room in one of their shuttle buses for your travel companions and your stuff. I'd give them a call and see.

At least the Reno issues don't seem to be Volcanic. Can you imagine training by an active volcano in the middle of the desert? That would be a trip!!
What's so special about a volcano I live 1 mile from a dormant volcano and in can walk on a active one about an hour later.

you know "It's not nice to fool mother nature" :lol:

What's so special about a volcano I live 1 mile from a dormant volcano and in can walk on a active one about an hour later.

you know "It's not nice to fool mother nature" :lol:
Well there is dormant and there is active and there is breathing hell fire and brimstone all over creation causing global cooling for the next 2-3 years. I was kinda thinkin' of the latter... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back