Getting around Chicago...buses/taxi, etc

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar1

Train Attendant
I'm going to be in Chicago on Sunday, I've got a few hours between arriving on the LSL and departing on the EB. I've walked to Millenium Park before, but I'm going to be with someone that can't do a lot of walking and they wanted to see The Bean. I'm figuring a cab would be more expensive, so we were thinking of taking a bus or one of those elevated subways. Do buses run on a Sunday and does anyone know where I would catch the bus, etc. I've looked at some of the CTA websites, but it seemed very confusing. Some bus stops were two blocks away from Union Station and showed that it would take 90 minutes to get to a stop close to Millenium Park (which is about a 20-25 minute walk). I don't want to get on the wrong bus and end up miles away and miss my train.

Take the 151 from outside the historic terminal building or across the street on Jackson. It will take you to either State Street or Michigan Ave. (Your pick of whichever is more convenient) a couple blocks from Millennium Park.

Yes, the buses run on Sundays. So does the L, but you won't need the L to get to Millennium Park.

The CTA websites are a bit confusing. Personally, I use Google Maps. You can put in the names of places instead of addresses. Also, if you click on the "bus" icon above the address fields, it will give you transit directions. :)

Anyway, you can catch the #60 on the corner of Canal and Adams. It will drop you off at Randolph & Michigan, right on the NW corner of the park. From there, it's a short walk to the Bean (Cloud Gate).

As NorthShore said, you can also catch the #151 bus to Michigan Ave, which borders the park on the west edge.

Either option is good for someone who can't walk very far.

I'm bad about using public transportation in Chicago. We normally use cabs and have never found the rates extremely high. Can't think of any bad experiences we have had with drivers. I can't say that about other cities.

In Union Station head for the escalators or the nearby elevators in that same location ( near Amtrak ticket counter ). When you exit you will be at a set of doors. Make a left and look for the employees that look like they are dressed for London by the gates. You will be politely given the next available cab. Some days the line can be long.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great alternative to Taxis in many cities (Including Chicago) are also what's called "RideSharing", but is honestly more like a cab.

The two biggest names are "Uber" and "Lyft"... both work the same way and are usually cheaper and more reliable than a Taxi. The only caveat is that you do need a smartphone to use these services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back