Galesburg

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Service Attendant
So, I am going to have a 5 hour layover there in May...is there anything close to the station? Like food? Is the station in an "ok" area? Never been there...

THANKS!

Shawn

I recently had a layover in Galesburg and enjoyed it immensly. They still have a downtown that hasn't been ruined by Walmart or Sam's Club. Its a downtown like the 1960's. I spent one hour alone in the cd/record store. Go online and google Galesburg Visitors Bureau and they will send you some free stuff. If I would have had some more time, I was going to look into getting a deep tissue massage but just didn't have enough time for that.

My favorite is the Packing House,which is right across the parking lot from the station. It is a restaurant that is an old meat packing plant. They serve both lunch and dinner. About a block and a half away is a large antique store (on Main Street) if you are in to that sort of thing. I really don't think you will have much trouble killing time. Plenty of little shops etc.

Have fun.

GregL

Ronald Reagan was from there as well.
Reagan was actually from Tampico, IL.

what is your itinerary that you lay over for 5 hours in galesburg? wasn't that carl sandburg's home town? he wrote some wonderful poems in which trains appear.
I'm guessing he is coming from a town farther south on the Carl Sandburg/Illinois Zephyr route and taking that to Galesburg.

My favorite is the Packing House,which is right across the parking lot from the station. It is a restaurant that is an old meat packing plant. They serve both lunch and dinner. About a block and a half away is a large antique store (on Main Street) if you are in to that sort of thing. I really don't think you will have much trouble killing time. Plenty of little shops etc.Have fun.

GregL
It's a bit pricey, though. I lived in Galesburg for quite a few years....met my wife there (she was born and raised)...got married there...still visit relative there quite a bit. Nice area.

what is your itinerary that you lay over for 5 hours in galesburg? wasn't that carl sandburg's home town? he wrote some wonderful poems in which trains appear.
I will be on the Southwest Chief from Kansas City, and laying over to catch the California Zephyr to Sacramento. Though, I am guessing I won't have much of a layover, as I am sure the SWC will be late...but we'll see. Just in case it's ontime or close to it, I thought I would get my ducks in a row.

Galesburg is a nice little town... I usually got there once a month. When I am down in Chicago visiting the parents and feel like going on a daytrip, I will often take #381 (Carl Sandburg) out there... and then take #4 (Southwest Chief) back. That usually gives me about a 2-hour layover. During that time, I do a number of things -- just staying at the station and freight train watching can be fun... there is a lot of activity. Another good spot to train watch is a few blocks to the east and south... that is where the BN and Santa Fe lines (now both BNSF) cross. The Packing House is a good place to eat... Chey Luis is also good, a little more upscale. There is also a 3-story antique mall a few blocks away -- they have some RR memorabilia for sale in there.

I will be on the Southwest Chief from Kansas City, and laying over to catch the California Zephyr to Sacramento. Though, I am guessing I won't have much of a layover, as I am sure the SWC will be late...but we'll see. Just in case it's ontime or close to it, I thought I would get my ducks in a row.

If everything is running on time, you might want to stay on the SWC and transfer at Princeton, IL... a little less of a lay-over for you!

I sure wouldn't want to bet on the SWC being late. It has one of the better on time records within the Amtrak LD group.

I sure wouldn't want to bet on the SWC being late. It has one of the better on time records within the Amtrak LD group.
While I agree with you, the EB also has a good ontime record, but we were over 4 hours late last time I was on it, just due to mechanical problems...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back