Galesburg, IL. Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will have a 3 hour layover in Galesburg connecting from the eastbound California Zeypher to the van to Springfield IL> Is there a place to leave luggage in the station so that I can visit the railroad museum next door? Also is there anywhere to eat lunch near the station?

no luggage place at Galesburg. according to Amtrak.com:

No Baggage Storage
icon_question.gif

As for eating, there is a place on Google maps called Packinghouse diner. I'm not sure if it's good, but it was the first thing on the search on Google maps. looks near the station. Maybe another member will assist you.

Have a good trip! :D

As for eating, just walk out the front door and turn right on Seminary Street. There are several cafes along the way. I ate lunch at the Landmark Cafe a few days ago and it was quite good.

no luggage place at Galesburg. according to Amtrak.com:

No Baggage Storage
icon_question.gif

As for eating, there is a place on Google maps called Packinghouse diner. I'm not sure if it's good, but it was the first thing on the search on Google maps. looks near the station. Maybe another member will assist you.

Have a good trip! :D
Several of us AUers ate at the Packing House a few years ago. It was very good!

I am wondering if the guy at the desk would let you leave your luggage there.

The Packing House is really pretty good. It's a very short walk from the station, and has great steaks and prime rib. It is located in an old Swift Meat Locker plant, and they left some of the rails on the ceilings, and lots of pictures. Definitely a great place to go. If you go down Seminary street (which is in front of the station) there are several other restaurants, and there's also some on Main street, which is just a block due west.

I was thinking there used to be some coin operated luggage lockers in the station, but can't recall for certain. However, I'd think the depot agent would work with you on luggage, the crew there in the past has been pretty friendly.

I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but directly across from the station was a mower store that had lots of model train stuff, magazines, and the like. May want to check that out also if interested.

As for eating, just walk out the front door and turn right on Seminary Street. There are several cafes along the way. I ate lunch at the Landmark Cafe a few days ago and it was quite good.
I concur and I was there just a few days ago myself!

The Packing House restaurant was closed for a private function when I was there but the Landmark Cafe & Creperie was open and ready for me. Perfect for a sandwich, drink, and dessert and they'll happily store your luggage for you while you enjoy your meal. I chose the Elegant Grill on sourdough with fresh strawberries paired with a Manhattan.

Landmark Cafe & Creperie

62 South Seminary Street

Galesburg, IL 61401

(309) 343-5376

2012LunchDinnerMenu2.jpg

I am wondering if the guy at the desk would let you leave your luggage there.
Doubtful. It becomes a liability issue if they put them behind the ticket counter, and unattended bags in the waiting area are highly frowned upon. Plus, if word got out, they'd have to do that for everybody. :p

I have had decent luck with agents holding my luggage when bag storage wasn't technically avilable. Most recently at Buffalo-Exchage Street the single agent let me dump my backpack in the ticket office while I explored downtown for a few hours after I got off the southbound maple leaf before the frieds I was spending the night with could meet me.,He was super friendly too. It never hearts to ask!

This is an exceptionally great menu given the size of the town, around 32,000. I've spent alot of time in small town, rural Illinois and mostly see fried chicken/turtle/catfish, italian dishes and sausages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several people left their bags in the corner of the depot once and felt comfortable doing it. I didn't leave mine though. There was a great bakery that I think may have been a cafe as well. Great cookies I do remember that.

Uncle Billy's is the name of the bakery but they may not have meals.

Maybe I'm just used to departing from larger cities. Apparently, the folks at the small-town train stations are much friendlier about that kind of thing. Good to know.
hi.gif

Well, I don't have any ideas for you, but wanted to say thanks to the person who started the Galesburg thread and also for all the good ideas and the menu!

In my great wisdom, I booked an Amtrak trip putting us in Chicago on Chicago Marathon weekend. It's the last stop of a r/t and I just "assumed" there would be a place to spend 2 nights in Chi. WRONG!

So someone suggested Galesburg for a couple of nights - since it has frequent Chicago service. This post was very timely for me.

Love this Forum!

MrFSS said:
However, it's very expensive. Not worth the money in my opinion.

The agent let's you leave bags in front of the counter in a corner. It's your liability but they say the haven't had problems for several years. Worked fine for me.

Uncle Billy's is the name of the bakery but they may not have meals.
I went here as well and didn't see any proper meals, although I suppose you could make a meal out of cookies and cake if you wanted to. ^_^

I tried three things.

1. Thumbprint Cookie was OK.

2. Baklava was not good.

3. Hummingbird Cake was Excellent!

Although, if I had to do it over again I'd probably just try a dessert style crepe across the street next time.

Maybe I'm just used to departing from larger cities. Apparently, the folks at the small-town train stations are much friendlier about that kind of thing. Good to know.
The folks in San Antonio act like they're doing you a favor just by showing up at the counter and they often keep the metal divider down with just a few inches of space for passing paperwork back and forth. I didn't really interact with the staff in Galesburg so I cannot specifically comment on them, but they didn't seem unfriendly as I passed through. Springfield staff seemed pleasant as well.

MrFSS said:
However, it's very expensive. Not worth the money in my opinion.
Yeah it didn't seem cheap. If the food was really good I'd have no problem with those prices, but if it was just average I would not consider it a good value. Since the restaurant was closed for private function all I could do was look at the menu outside.

As of June 2012, the Packinghouse became Tod Earling's Chop House. New name, concept, chef, menu and bar. Reviews are mixed.

Since moving back to the Midwest I will be departing from the Galesburg Amtrak for my occasional train travel. Is there free and somewhat plentiful long term parking? What is the closest hotel to the station?

Since moving back to the Midwest I will be departing from the Galesburg Amtrak for my occasional train travel. Is there free and somewhat plentiful long term parking? What is the closest hotel to the station?
I also would like to know about long-term parking. Now that the Ambus service from GBB has been cut, I'll have to drive to Galesburg.

There is parking at the station that is free. It is somewhat limited but I have never seen it full. While there may be hotels downtown, I am not aware of any. I think the closest hotels are out near I-74

Having spent my undergraduate days 15 miles down the road in Monmouth, often traveling to and from my home ground from the two trains a day that ran though both towns,,, and working 30 miles from Galesburg in a town so small we had to drive to Galesburg to get to a supermarket, and having my daughter born down the street from the station,,, I can do nothing but sing in full voice the praised of this great little Illinois City. I used to run with young lady whose family owned a Mexican restaurant on Main St - alas Google did not display it - but it was REAL Mexican food, if you get my drift. There was also a steak joint on Henderson street (old rt 34 before the bypass) where i had my first baked sweet potato. Carl Sandburg, your city still shines. (I hope been a while since I lived there)

There is parking at the station that is free. It is somewhat limited but I have never seen it full. While there may be hotels downtown, I am not aware of any. I think the closest hotels are out near I-74
I'll have to disagree with the limitedness of the parking. See a recent post.

The latest incarnation of the hotel on Public Square (actually a traffic circle) 2 blocks north and 4 blocks west of the station appears to be called Broad View Inn & Suites. I stayed there 2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised.

Reviews here. Mine is the 6th one down that makes excuses for the train noise.

I have been in GBB probably 100 times... lots of daytrips from Chicago... also the turn-around spot where we train new Trails & Rails volunteers out of Chicago on the Southwest Chief. The Packing House is great... its been a GBB tradition for a long time. It actually went out of business for a few months, but was re-opened after a great outcry from the public. Anyhow, I dont find it expensive... $9 or $10 for a 1/2 lb burger and fries isnt horrible. The signature item is homemade cinnamon rolls... take some to go.

I guess some people find the van to / from Galesburg convenient - seems to get used a lot out of Springfield. I'd prefer to actually be on a train. Then again maybe this is a timing issue for some people. But when I ride the California Zephyr I de-board in Chicago and catch Lincoln Service Business Class or Texas Eagle roomette home. Just rode Zephyr a few months back to Burlington Iowa - round trip.

The outside of the Galesgurb station looks nice - never been inside. Parking lot has always been in good shape when we have driven through town and used it.

Interesting that no one has made mention of The Galesburg Railroad Museum right next door to the station. Definitely worth having a look if you have the time.

If you have children the Discovery Depot Children's Museum is right across the street.

Chicago Burlington and Quincy engine 3006 Galesburg Railroad Museum photo

Galesburg Illinois Railroad Days sign revisited photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back