FY2013 PERFORMANCE REPORT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- Mechanical is still complaining about lack of availability of Amfleet II coaches. Also, management cut down the Amfleet II Cafe refurbishment program (they're listed as Amfleet II "Diners" FWIW). I think Amtrak is serious about trying to replace the Amfleet IIs next.
Along with the Acelas, the Amfleet IIs coach cars appear to be where Amtrak is running into real capacity constraints. The stimulus restorations and cafe to coach car conversions put a substantial number of Amfleet I coach cars into service since FY2008, but only restored 4 Amfleet II coach cars. So Amtrak only has a total of 120 Amfleet II coach cars available for the eastern LD and medium range corridor trains.
Which appears to limit the number of A II's they can add at peak periods to the Meteor, etc. The September 2013 monthly report stated this about the Cardinal in the comments: "The Cardinals ridership was down 6% due in part to less coach capacity this year."

The challenge is that any relief from an Amfleet II replacement order or converting Horizons to LD coach cars after the bi-level cars are delivered is years away. If Amtrak is going to convert more Am I cafe cars to coach cars, could they convert them to an LD coach car configuration that has the same 59 seat capacity as the Am II?

The only issue there might be toilet capacity. My understanding is that the tanks on the LD Amfleets are larger than on a short-distance Amfleet.

Average long distance train ticket revenue per mile: $31.80. Acela profit per mile: $66.71. I think I'll just hang on to that factoid for the next time I run into one of those "Amtrak cooks the NEC books!" conspiracy theorists.

IIRC, I tried telling folks on here a couple years ago that UP wasn't the "big bad wolf" that people made it out to be from their low point in the early 2000s. These numbers finally show it.

Northeast Corridor and extensions provided almost $1.3 billion of the total $2.1 billion in revenue. That is raw numbers. No chance of cooking costs there.

The bottom line is that Amtrak managed to hold CASM steady while increasing RASM, even in the face of increasing ASM. Indeed one could argue that Amtrak managed to increase ASM almost at the same rate as growth in cost, and even though load factors went down they were able to increase RASM, which is a hidden good story in the macro KPIs.

The Empire Service specifically is still suffering a lot of Amtrak-induced delays; first look at the very high number for "crew related delays / delays in block", and then add some percentage of the "passenger holds" to that, as those can be due to bad crew management of boarding. Something needs to be done in that specific operational division.
I don't see anything in the data that suggests the Empire Service specifically is a problem. Their sum total number of delay minutes is pretty high (in the Amtrak-responsible category, it's second only to the Surfliner), but you have to consider that this is not a pro-rated number. The Empire Corridor is quite busy, and the data includes the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, and Ethan Allen Express. When you throw in those trains, you get 12 weekday trips, which, excluding the NEC spine itself, is exceeded only by the Keystone and Capitol Corridors. The Empire Corridor is also much longer than those other two corridors (in fact, if you exclude the NEC segment of the Keystones, the only train on either corridor that exceeds the shortest Empire Corridor services in distance is the twice/week San Jose-Auburn through train).

I don't feel like totalling up all the route mileages, but I'm sure once you normalize for that fact, the Empire service will come much more in line with the rest of the corridor services, and won't stand out as being something that needs to be done specifically to that route or division.

Edit: Just because I'm curious, I decided to do a little calculating, and totaled up the scheduled route mileage for September 2013 for the Empire Service vs. the Hiawatha (next line down). For the Empire Corridor, I included the Maple Leaf (to Niagara Falls, NY), Adirondack, Ethan Allen, and all the various other Empire Corridor trains, factored in weekday vs. weekend service levels, and did the same for the Hiawatha.

When using delays per route mile as a factor, the Hiawatha has a rate 40% higher than the Empire Corridor.

One other factor that should be considered, though I'm not sure how the data reflect this, is that Amtrak now controls the railroad from Albany south to where Metro-North takes over, so, any delays in that segment would automatically be Amtrak-responsible delays, which would even further skew those numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other factor that should be considered, though I'm not sure how the data reflect this, is that Amtrak now controls the railroad from Albany south to where Metro-North takes over, so, any delays in that segment would automatically be Amtrak-responsible delays, which would even further skew those numbers.
Actually Amtrak controls Schenectady (inclusive) to Poughkeepsie (exclusive) (well strictly speaking Hoffmans where the Albany line splits off from the Selkirk line. That is closer to Amsterdam than Schenectady AFAIR.

The bottom line is that Amtrak managed to hold CASM steady while increasing RASM, even in the face of increasing ASM. Indeed one could argue that Amtrak managed to increase ASM almost at the same rate as growth in cost, and even though load factors went down they were able to increase RASM, which is a hidden good story in the macro KPIs.
Yes, this is the overlooked good news in the September report. For the year, they managed to hold expenses per seat mile while the revenue per seat mile increased though it missed the budget goal. Some of the expense savings may be from postponed purchases or holding off on hiring personnel, but some has to be due to the cost savings and [SIZE=12pt]efficiencies[/SIZE] of the deployment of eTicketing and shifting more ticket purchases to on-line. Since Amtrak treats the state subsidy payments as revenue - which it is from the viewpoint of their federal paymasters - FY14 may show close to a system wide break-even with the surplus revenue from the Acelas and NE Regionals offsetting the losses from the LD trains. Which, of course, will lead to long postings and discussions on the net about Amtrak "cooking" the books for nefarious purposes for a hidden agenda.

The Empire Service specifically is still suffering a lot of Amtrak-induced delays; first look at the very high number for "crew related delays / delays in block", and then add some percentage of the "passenger holds" to that, as those can be due to bad crew management of boarding. Something needs to be done in that specific operational division.
I don't see anything in the data that suggests the Empire Service specifically is a problem. Their sum total number of delay minutes is pretty high (in the Amtrak-responsible category, it's second only to the Surfliner), but you have to consider that this is not a pro-rated number. The Empire Corridor is quite busy, and the data includes the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, and Ethan Allen Express. When you throw in those trains, you get 12 weekday trips, which, excluding the NEC spine itself, is exceeded only by the Keystone and Capitol Corridors. The Empire Corridor is also much longer than those other two corridors (in fact, if you exclude the NEC segment of the Keystones, the only train on either corridor that exceeds the shortest Empire Corridor services in distance is the twice/week San Jose-Auburn through train).

I don't feel like totalling up all the route mileages, but I'm sure once you normalize for that fact, the Empire service will come much more in line with the rest of the corridor services, and won't stand out as being something that needs to be done specifically to that route or division.

Edit: Just because I'm curious, I decided to do a little calculating, and totaled up the scheduled route mileage for September 2013 for the Empire Service vs. the Hiawatha (next line down). For the Empire Corridor, I included the Maple Leaf (to Niagara Falls, NY), Adirondack, Ethan Allen, and all the various other Empire Corridor trains, factored in weekday vs. weekend service levels, and did the same for the Hiawatha.

When using delays per route mile as a factor, the Hiawatha has a rate 40% higher than the Empire Corridor.
Interesting.... but to clarify, was this computed based specifically on *crew-related* delays / "delays in block"?

That was what was jumping out at me, not the total total Amtrak-attributed delays.

It seemed that a startlingly high percentage of the Empire Corridor delays were *crew-related* delays (or "delays in block"). 1173 on the Empire Service... versus 18 on the Hiawatha. There's a huge number of *crew-related* delays / "delays in block" on the Michigan services, too (1214), but I figured that that was probably a side-effect of the various disruptions the line has been having.

The Empire Service Amtrak-responsible delays are 31% passenger related, and 29% crew-related (or "delays in block" whatever those are).

By contrast, the Surfliner Amtrak-responsible delays are 26% passenger-related and 25% engine failures, with only 8% crew-related.

These are *very different patterns*, and it makes it look like something crew-related is going wrong on Empire Service. Michigan Service also has a very high percentage of "crew related" delays. The California Zephyr also has very high "crew related" delays.

Now, I'm not sure what this code actually means. What *are* "delays in block"? Perhaps this code actually means that crews are running "dead on hours" and having to be replaced, or that the district is shortstaffed and can't get crews because of that? Michigan Service and the California Zephyr were both suffering from disruptions which might have affected the ability to get crews. Empire Service wasn't, though.

I stand by my assessment that there is something specifically problematic operationally with the Empire Service, though I don't know what it is, because I don't know exactly what is encompassed in that delay code.

The other notable result from looking specifically at the delay codes -- it looks like the Surfliner needs new locomotives, and so does the San Joaquin.

Could be that, I suppose.

What? I thought some of the LD trains were already quite profitable, no? Darned. Fooled again. :p
According to Boardman, two are profitable: the Palmetto and the Silver Meteor, while the Auto Train breaks even and the Lake Shore Limited makes a small loss.

But only on "direct" or "avoidable" costs. :)

And sadly "direct" or "avoidable" costs are not reported regularly; I kind of wish they were as it would make for more rational discussions. When you're discussing whether to cut a train service, direct costs are the only relevant costs. When you're discussing whether to add a train service, direct costs are the only relevant costs.

The only purpose of allocated costs is in figuring out how *many* "direct cost profitable" train services you have to add in order to cover your overhead! ^_^ It would be fun if we were having the discussion "Does Amtrak need to add one more NY-Florida frequency, or does Amtrak really need to add three more in order to cover overhead?", and then allocated costs would be interesting. Sadly we're not having that discussion.

Average long distance train ticket revenue per mile: $31.80. Acela profit per mile: $66.71. I think I'll just hang on to that factoid for the next time I run into one of those "Amtrak cooks the NEC books!" conspiracy theorists.
I looked this up too and I see Amtrak's passenger related revenue of 2,366,725 and divide it by their train miles of 38,167 gives $62, yet they report $67.45. LD trains report revenue of $568,900 with train miles of 14,308 for revenue per train mile of 39.76 I didn't try and calculate Acela's. But apparently you can get whatever number you want depending on which figures you use. lol. Oh, I am sure Amtrak 'cooks the books' lol. They allocate 80% of their costs. They can make up any numbers they want. Most industry standards are around 20% of costs allocated. Amtrak doesn't actually know what it costs to run a specific train......or......maybe they do. haha.

What? I thought some of the LD trains were already quite profitable, no? Darned. Fooled again. :p
According to Boardman, two are profitable: the Palmetto and the Silver Meteor, while the Auto Train breaks even and the Lake Shore Limited makes a small loss.

And sadly "direct" or "avoidable" costs are not reported regularly; I kind of wish they were as it would make for more rational discussions. When you're discussing whether to cut a train service, direct costs are the only relevant costs. When you're discussing whether to add a train service, direct costs are the only relevant costs.

The only purpose of allocated costs is in figuring out how *many* "direct cost profitable" train services you have to add in order to cover your overhead! ^_^ It would be fun if we were having the discussion "Does Amtrak need to add one more NY-Florida frequency, or does Amtrak really need to add three more in order to cover overhead?", and then allocated costs would be interesting. Sadly we're not having that discussion.
Congress should insist they report operating costs and avoidable costs as they are different. It would be interesting to see those as I get the CONO and the Palmetto as having an operating profit as well as the Auto Train. The Meteor loses around 6 million and the LSL around 10. I really don't know how many people they have on the ground at each end to load the Auto Train and that may be the diff. there. The LSL revenues are only $35.2 vs the Meteor's $42.4 and the Star's $37.8 so I would question his comments on those trains. The biggest revenue generator after Auto Train is the EB with $72.9, yet is still loses around 6 mil. Auto Trains costs are much lower because it's route is only 855 miles vs EB's 2205. The EB probably lost more, but since Amtrak allocates most costs it's delay costs were probably just spread to all the routes.

The other notable result from looking specifically at the delay codes -- it looks like the Surfliner needs new locomotives, and so does the San Joaquin.
The Surfliner locomotives average 3.5 million miles each; about as much as the AEM-7s, but diesels are inherently less mechanically reliable.

As I've pointed out to you before, direct costs on shared routes will underestimate costs because of what is not included, even for adding a new service. That's not including depreciation, expanded mechanical services, and whatnot of course. But direct costs should not be confused with marginal costs. As it is, I do not believe a single long distance train covers its marginal costs and the same will be true of any additional frequency, especially if including sleepers or diners.

I looked this up too and I see Amtrak's passenger related revenue of 2,366,725 and divide it by their train miles of 38,167 gives $62, yet they report $67.45. LD trains report revenue of $568,900 with train miles of 14,308 for revenue per train mile of 39.76 I didn't try and calculate Acela's. But apparently you can get whatever number you want depending on which figures you use. lol. Oh, I am sure Amtrak 'cooks the books' lol. They allocate 80% of their costs. They can make up any numbers they want. Most industry standards are around 20% of costs allocated. Amtrak doesn't actually know what it costs to run a specific train......or......maybe they do. haha.
Most of their costs have no possibility other than to be allocated, you simply cannot directly cost them. You can't directly cost non-route specific advertising, you can't directly cost station costs at a shared station, general overhead must of necessity be allocated, etc.

Oh, I am sure Amtrak 'cooks the books' lol. They allocate 80% of their costs. They can make up any numbers they want. Most industry standards are around 20% of costs allocated.
This is an economic feature of railroads.

It's actually a feature of any highly capital intensive business; any fixed-cost-intensive business; and any business with network effects, and railroads are *all three*. Since my grandmother and mother were both invested in railroad stocks, we got quite used to this. Railroads are famous for "manipulating the books" in legal ways, because standard accounting can't handle the nature of the business very well. You have to look at a whole bunch of stuff other than the standard "profit and loss" sheets to understand a railroad.

Railroads are *extremely* capital intensive, and they're fixed-cost-intensive on multiple different levels (more complicated than just "capital" vs. "operating"). You have to build a central dispatch system, but it scales over any number of lines. You have to build tracks and maintain them, very expensive... then running more trains over the tracks costs a relatively insigificant amount. You have to run a train, rather expensive... but then running a longer train costs an insigificant amount. When you run a second train you may use your crew more efficiently, and so the "cost of crew" per train goes down with volume as well. The usage of the train cars and locomotives also becomes more efficient as you add more services. The cost of adding a passenger to a train which isn't full is, essentially, 0 -- pure unadulterated ticket revenue -- while the cost of adding a passenger to a train which is full is the cost of adding a train car... You can skimp on maintenance and make the bottom line look better... but you're just incurring future maintenance costs. You can beef up on quality to reduce maintenance costs... and then your bottom line looks worse, but it'll probably look better in 10 years. Adding a line to a network doesn't just add passengers (or freight!) on that line, it adds them on all the connecting lines. Et cetera.

So the vast majority of costs for anything in a railroad are big upfront overhead costs. Very little of it is incremental operating costs. It's not at all like your traditional raw-material-intensive, labor-intensive factory, where variable operating costs dominate over fixed costs and capital costs; on the railroad, fixed costs dominate and capital costs dominate. The railroad therefore needs a different mode of analysis.

jis said:
Congress should insist they report operating costs and avoidable costs as they are different.
I would certainly like to see the true "avoidable cost" numbers myself. (If Amtrak even has all of them! I just remember the mess the Milwaukee Road made of their accounting, a mess which drove the company into bankruptcy -- we shouldn't assume Amtrak actually knows.) Apart from that one presentation from Boardman, however, we can only guess.

The LSL revenues are only $35.2 vs the Meteor's $42.4 and the Star's $37.8 so I would question his comments on those trains.
The Meteor and Star have 4 trainsets each (vs. 3 for LSL), and worse crew utilization. With comparable revenues, this accounts for the Star having worse results on a "direct costs" basis than the LSL. (The Meteor has a better result than the LSL, remember.)
Also, the Star has several unique stations which could be shuttered if that train quit running, which are very likely to count as direct costs, with Tampa in particular being staffing-intensive. This alone could give the Star a worst "direct costs" result than the LSL. For the LSL, there are only two stations which could be shuttered if it stopped running, Erie and Bryan, neither of which is staffed.

Avoidable and marginal costs are tricky and subtle things. I do *not* agree with Paulus's baseless assertion that none of the LD trains cover their avoidable costs. There are no meaningful avoidable costs for ending the Palmetto alone other than the direct costs for the Palmetto, for example.

However, if you jointly look at the Palmetto, the Silver Meteor, and the Silver Star... suddenly there are a huge bunch of costs which are avoidable if you end all *three* of them. "Go big or go home." This shows that you have to consider more scenarios than just each train in isolation in order to see what's going on.

For the Auto Train, *both* of its stations could be shuttered if it stopped running, they're large and expensive to operate, it probably has much higher fuel costs than the trains which aren't carrying autos, and finally, all maintenance on those autoracks could be stopped if the Auto Train ceased -- so that's a lot of direct costs. (Note that it would seem to make sense to operate a second Auto Train utilizing one of the same stations, in order to leverage the fixed costs over more routes, if demand warranted. But this didn't work out for the Auto-Train Corporation due to track deterioration on their second route, and there's still no suitably fast Chicago-Florida route.)

For a conclusion to what is becoming a long essay, ^_^ there is a reason why Amtrak has pooh-poohed suggestions of restarting one-a-day services over very long routes of unique track, like the Desert Wind and the North Coast Hiawatha and the Pioneer. This is not how you make money in railroading. The way you make money in railroading is to run an intensive service of long trains over the routes you run, leveraging the same fixed track and station costs over many many trains, and the same fixed costs of train operations over many many cars.

So, in regards to Amtrak's lack of vision, I would say that a suitable near-term vision for the federally funded services -- one with good potential -- is a vision of longer trains with more frequencies per day running faster and more on-time over much the same routes, with only very small expansions in the track traversed (such as running one of the Chicago-NY frequencies via Detroit and Toledo).

It's all about leveraging those fixed costs -- if there's enough demand for more service, even at high prices, you can eventually get to the point where you can cover the fixed costs. Some of the Western routes may simply not have enough demand under any circumstances; some of the Eastern "long distance" routes probably do have enough demand, if they can arrive on time.

I believe Amtrak reported avoidable costs in the performance reports, but switched metrics a few years back.

Now, I'm not sure what this code actually means. What *are* "delays in block"? Perhaps this code actually means that crews are running "dead on hours" and having to be replaced, or that the district is shortstaffed and can't get crews because of that? Michigan Service and the California Zephyr were both suffering from disruptions which might have affected the ability to get crews. Empire Service wasn't, though.
"Delay-in-block" is a rule that applies whenever a train comes to a stop at a location where the engineer cannot see the next signal. This includes regular station stops (a large number of station stops actually create a DIB scenario). Basically, the rule states that upon departure, the train has to proceed at a reduced speed (how reduced depends on the specific situation) until the engineer can be sure of the indication of the next signal and the track to that signal is clear. The idea behind the rule is that while the train was stopped, the signal could have downgraded without the engineer receiving advanced warning (due to having already passed the previous signal that would have told him of such). This all came about from a deadly collision about 20 or so years ago where a passenger train stopped at a station (MARC, I believe), and in the mean time, the next signal had changed from green to red as the dispatcher changed the lineup.

Most of the time, delay-in-block is already accounted for in the schedule, and thus wouldn't even constitute a delay at all. If some part of the operation has changed but the schedule hasn't been updated to reflect it, there could be a delay-in-block situation that isn't accounted for in the schedule.

What I don't understand is why delay in block is mixed in with crew related delays, making it difficult to interpret, from this report, what the actual delay causes are.

Incidentally the DIB rule does not apply where continuous cab signal is available.

I am not even sure that the Delay In Block as used in the delay codes has anything to do with the FRA DIB rule, though the explanation given by Trog is quite plausible.

Most of their costs have no possibility other than to be allocated, you simply cannot directly cost them. You can't directly cost non-route specific advertising, you can't directly cost station costs at a shared station, general overhead must of necessity be allocated, etc.
Actually most of your operating costs can be charged directly. Amtrak just chooses not to do so. We are talking fuel, track rent, switching, maintenance of rolling stock, OBS labor and T&E labor, commissary costs, stations and station agents. Yes the rest would have to be allocated as would large shared stations like NY and LA. But other than that it's entirely possible to direct charge these LD trains with their true operating costs. Avoidable costs are another matter as was described earlier on. It all depends on whether you are targeting one train or the whole route. We found that out with the Pennsylvanian discussion. Avoidable costs were less than revenues as the only costs really avoidable were track rent between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh and a couple of station agents.

Railroads are *extremely* capital intensive ...

You have to run a train, rather expensive... but

then running a longer train costs an insigificant

amount. When you run a second train you may

use your crew more efficiently, and so the

"cost of crew" per train goes down with volume

as well. The usage of the train cars and locomotives

also becomes more efficient as you add more services.

... Adding a line to a network doesn't just add passengers ...

on that line, it adds them on all the connecting lines.

For a conclusion to what is becoming a long essay, ^_^

there is a reason why Amtrak has pooh-poohed

suggestions of restarting one-a-day services over

very long routes of unique track, like the Desert Wind

and the North Coast Hiawatha and the Pioneer.

This is not how you make money in railroading.
Well put, and helps to clarify my thinking. I guess that

I'd intuited some of this, but you've spelled it out.

So, one easily overlooked reason why the Viewliner IIs

will be successful is that the first 15 or 20 of each type

will be added to existing trains. (A third train to take the

Cardinal daily would be the exception.) For the Silvers,

the Crescent, and the Lake Shore Limited, the cost of

the locomotives and the most of the fuel is already

allocated to that train, and the added sleepers can ride

almost cost-free. The dining cars and sleepers will

have the same size staff, or close to it. Most of the

ticket revenue will fall straight thru to the bottom line.

There's surely an"insurance effect" as well. With

20 dining cars in use, they say Amtrak would need 5

"protect cars" as well. Adding another LD overnight

train, like a Palmetto become a Silver Palm, would

need 5 diners, 4 on the train and 1 more protect car.

Adding yet another LD overnight train, say, extending

the Pennsylvanian thru Cleveland to Chicago, would

need more cars. But at some point, with the risks

spread over more trains and a larger pool of protect

cars, Amtrak won't need protect cars on a 1:4 ratio.

So a base figure of 19 cars in service and 6 protect.

To add another LD overnight train, buy 5 more cars,

have 24 in service and 6 protect. Add still another

LD overnight train, buy 5 more cars, 28 in service

and 7 protect cars, 35 total. Add a third LD overnight

train, 7 protect cars might be plenty, so only buy

4 more cars, have 32 in service, 7 protect, and

39 total. Savings will kick in as usage scales up.

=====================

Taking the Cardinal and the Sunset Ltd daily are

top priorities for expansion beyond adding cars

to the single-level trains.

Politicians made Amtrak do PRIIA studies on restoring

service to the Desert Wind, the NCH, the Pioneer,

and the eastern stretch of the Sunset Limited. None

of them look like priorities.

The Desert Wind passed thru some of the lowest density

territory in the Lower 48 states. Nothing, nothing between

Salt Lake City and Vegas, and not much after that until

the L.A. area. Las Vegas has grown since service was

discontinued, and Salt Lake City, too, for that matter.

But not enuff to make a money-loser of 10 or 15 years

ago into a money-maker today. Likewise the Pioneer,

where Boise has grown rapidly, but the countryside

is still largely rocky mountainsides, not populated

areas needing train service. The NCH is a little different.

The Chicago-St Paul-Fargo corridor could use another

train or five; Spokane is served around midnight and

Spokane-Pasco-Seattle could use Talgo service. But

that long stretch thru North Dakota and Montana is

not gonna work. The Sunset east of NOLA may be

the worst, running overnight (if it stays attached to

the Sunset schedule), thinly populated from Mobile

to Tallahassee, most of the track without PTC, etc.

Corridor service Mobile-Biloxi-New Orleans-Lafayette-

Beaumont-Houston-San Antonio could be appealing,

but most ex-Confedrate states don't want to pay for

any trains as long as that black man in the White House

likes trains. So there.

To my eye, another run of the Lake Shore Ltd to stop

in Cleveland in daylight hours is needed. Extending

the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Toledo-

Chicago is needed.

Then the Heartland Flyer, now Ft Worth-Oklahoma City,

needs to grow north to Wichita-Kansas City-Omaha/

Des Moines/Twin Cities, and grow south as a second

run on the Texas Eagle route Ft Worth-Austin-San

Antonio-Laredo/Houston-New Orleans. That way

the Heartland Flyer would link to the Sunset Ltd,

the Texas Eagle, the Southwest Chief, the River

Runner (K.C.-St Louis), the California Zephyr, and

perhaps the Empire Builder, while linking the main

cities of the Great Plains.

Virginia plans to extend a train to Roanoke and then

Bristol on the Tennessee border; that state line runs

down the middle of main street Bristol, VA/Bristol, TN.

Hmmn.

Not too far down the road from Bristol is Knoxville,

next take that choo-choo to Chattanooga. Then the

new train could follow Gen Sherman to Atlanta and

Savannah, or go Chattanooga-Huntsville-Birmingham-

Montgomery-Mobile-Biloxi-New Orleans. (I don't think

Alabama is smart enuff to see that potential. There's

a reason that Atlanta left Birmingham eating dust.)

Those are the LD lines I'd most like to see, not out

in the desert mountain west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back