Future flooding for Empire Builder?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...Actually, I can't remember the last time I flew on a domestic airline and got a meal, period.
Airline First Class passengers still get meals (and free drinks), and that is the proper comparison for Amtrak Sleeping Car Service passengers. Amtrak coach passengers get the same as airline coach passengers - the option to buy on board or carry on.

Typically what airlines do if conditions suggest future weather problems is issue an advisory for the affected airports. Those advisories are usually issued once the forecast becomes reasonably firm. Passengers with reservations into and out of those airports can change reservations to another day or sometimes to another destination with no penalties or repricing. That certainly could be something Amtrak could offer - allow passengers on routes where forecasts strongly suggest a risk of disruption to rebook the same trip and the same accommodation to a later date with no change of fare.

If you think about it, that plan makes sense for everyone. Passengers can get ahead of the storm and avoid last minute disruptions and aggravation, and the carrier has fewer passengers to have to rebook or reroute at the last minute.
Excellent analogy. In the southeast, when there is a hurricane warning, airlines typically waive all restrictions and financial costs to change airline reservations. They don't wait until the hurricane hits to relax the rules. Here there is a flood warning. They are waiting until the flood hits to allow at par rerouting.
While I'm not promissing that Amtrak will indeed lift its restrictions early and let people move at no cost, again the examples above are not the same. Typically most airlines lift the restrictions when the hurricane forcast is reasonably firm, that usually means no more than 2 or 3 days before the hurricane actually hits. We're still a week away from the expected crest of the river, and once again there is no guarantee that it will actually crest that high.

You've been wanting Amtrak to allow rebooking more than a week and a half before a potential problem. That doesn't compare to airlines allowing 2 or 3 days.

...Actually, I can't remember the last time I flew on a domestic airline and got a meal, period.
Airline First Class passengers still get meals (and free drinks), and that is the proper comparison for Amtrak Sleeping Car Service passengers. Amtrak coach passengers get the same as airline coach passengers - the option to buy on board or carry on.

Typically what airlines do if conditions suggest future weather problems is issue an advisory for the affected airports. Those advisories are usually issued once the forecast becomes reasonably firm. Passengers with reservations into and out of those airports can change reservations to another day or sometimes to another destination with no penalties or repricing. That certainly could be something Amtrak could offer - allow passengers on routes where forecasts strongly suggest a risk of disruption to rebook the same trip and the same accommodation to a later date with no change of fare.

If you think about it, that plan makes sense for everyone. Passengers can get ahead of the storm and avoid last minute disruptions and aggravation, and the carrier has fewer passengers to have to rebook or reroute at the last minute.
Excellent analogy. In the southeast, when there is a hurricane warning, airlines typically waive all restrictions and financial costs to change airline reservations. They don't wait until the hurricane hits to relax the rules. Here there is a flood warning. They are waiting until the flood hits to allow at par rerouting.
While I'm not promissing that Amtrak will indeed lift its restrictions early and let people move at no cost, again the examples above are not the same. Typically most airlines lift the restrictions when the hurricane forcast is reasonably firm, that usually means no more than 2 or 3 days before the hurricane actually hits. We're still a week away from the expected crest of the river, and once again there is no guarantee that it will actually crest that high.

You've been wanting Amtrak to allow rebooking more than a week and a half before a potential problem. That doesn't compare to airlines allowing 2 or 3 days.
Here is part of the National Weather Service's flood warning from yesterday:

FORECAST... RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE BY TUESDAY BEFORE MIDNIGHT AND CONTINUE TO RISE TO NEAR 21.4 FEET BY EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. ADDITIONAL RISES ARE POSSIBLE THEREAFTER. * IMPACT STATEMENT - AT 22.0 FEET... MAJOR FLOOD STAGE. * PRELIMINARY CREST INFORMATION... FROM 17 TO 22 FEET BETWEEN MARCH 25TH AND 29TH.

We are only three days out from the date they say flooding will commence.

FORECAST... RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE BY TUESDAY BEFORE MIDNIGHT AND CONTINUE TO RISE TO NEAR 21.4 FEET BY EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. ADDITIONAL RISES ARE POSSIBLE THEREAFTER. * IMPACT STATEMENT - AT 22.0 FEET... MAJOR FLOOD STAGE. * PRELIMINARY CREST INFORMATION... FROM 17 TO 22 FEET BETWEEN MARCH 25TH AND 29TH.

Yes, but we've been talking about this for several days already. You were already looking to change last week, more than a week before any predicted crest, which is what my point was. Taking an airline that allows someone to rebook 2 or 3 days prior to a major weather event and comparing that to Amtrak's not allowing you to change more than a week in advance of an event isn't fair.

Additionally none of the predicted amounts in the above statement would impact the bridges over the river, and therefore service would continue running normally.

Yes, but we've been talking about this for several days already. You were already looking to change last week, more than a week before any predicted crest, which is what my point was. Taking an airline that allows someone to rebook 2 or 3 days prior to a major weather event and comparing that to Amtrak's not allowing you to change more than a week in advance of an event isn't fair.

Additionally none of the predicted amounts in the above statement would impact the bridges over the river, and therefore service would continue running normally.
I think that the statement, "PRELIMINARY CREST INFORMATION... FROM 17 TO 22 FEET BETWEEN MARCH 25TH AND 29TH" refers to the height of the flood above flood stage, which would put the river at 35-42 feet. In any case the weather service now predicts:

202 PM CDT sun Mar 22 2009
The Flood Warning continues for

the Red River at Fargo.

* Until further notice... or until the warning is cancelled.

* At 12:15 PM Sunday the stage was 21.4 feet.

* Minor flooding is occurring and major flooding is forecast.

* Flood stage is 18.0 feet.

* Forecast... the river will continue rising to between 39 and 41 feet by

Friday.
Later we find these predictions for river levels in Fargo:

3/23 25.5

3/24 33.7

3/25 37.3

3/26 39.3

3/27 40.0

3/28 40.0

3/29 40.0

Note the big jump in flood level from the thunderstorms predicted for Monday, March 23 (Minot got hail on top of their snow this morning). Heavy rain speeds up snow melt, of course, along with the water directly delivered by the rain.

It's not all bad news, though. Colder weather later in the week should slow melting. In any case, by next weekend the flooding won't be as bad further north, so even if bridges are closed in Fargo, they might well be open in say Grand Forks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan, I hope you are 100% right and there is no service interuption. I don't want to take the long route to get to Chicago, even though I love train travel.

I respect your evaluation that I started asking to change from the EB to the CZ for my easterly outbound trip and westerly return too early; even if I disagree with that analysis.

In my analysis, this is a matter of customer service for sleeper passengers that pay a lot of money to travel. This trip it is almost $1,700, and I often spend $5-10k per year on long distance sleeper fares that range from $500-2,000. They currently have sleepers to sell on the CZ. If they made a customer service decision to allow me to transfer trains at par now and the EB is not cancelled, they have my sleeper on EB to be able to sell at high bucket and a happy customer. I will not be a happy customer if the EB cancels and they don't allow me to transfer to CZ until date of departure and either there is only coach availability for the 50 hour journey or no seats.

Your analysis is incorrect.

If they allow you to change for no fare change, they now have your room on the EB to sell at the rate that you paid for it and instead have to take a loss selling your room on the CZ+CS by selling them to you at FAR BELOW the current bucket.

If you're willing to bet that the train is going to be canceled now, you'll have to pay to make that bet and not expect Amtrak to foot that bill.

If they allow you to change for no fare change, they now have your room on the EB to sell at the rate that you paid for it and instead have to take a loss selling your room on the CZ+CS by selling them to you at FAR BELOW the current bucket.

If you're willing to bet that the train is going to be canceled now, you'll have to pay to make that bet and not expect Amtrak to foot that bill.
I have first hand experience with a similar scenario, which leads me to disagree. In February 2008 I had a ticket on the EB to Portland, CS to Sacremento, San Joaquins to Baksfield and thruway bus to Las Vegas round trip when a mudslide tore out the tracks in Oregon two days before my trip. Amtrak offered me the alternative of taking the EB to Chicago, the CA to Flagstaff, and shuttle to Las Vegas round trip at no change in fare. I accepted. The scheduled fare for that routing was nearly double the original fare paid. Amtrak has already confirmed they would route me to CHI on the CZ at the original fare IF the EB cancels.

I have first hand experience with a similar scenario, which leads me to disagree. In February 2008 I had a ticket on the EB to Portland, CS to Sacremento, San Joaquins to Baksfield and thruway bus to Las Vegas round trip when a mudslide tore out the tracks in Oregon two days before my trip. Amtrak offered me the alternative of taking the EB to Chicago, the CA to Flagstaff, and shuttle to Las Vegas round trip at no change in fare. I accepted. The scheduled fare for that routing was nearly double the original fare paid. Amtrak has already confirmed they would route me to CHI on the CZ at the original fare IF the EB cancels.
No, you miss read what Hokie wrote. But first lets back track to what you wrote. You said, "and the EB is not cancelled, they have my sleeper on EB to be able to sell at high bucket." That's not what happens.

Your room goes back into inventory at the same price that you paid for it. If someone else books it and the EB runs through, Amtrak has lost money. They gave you higher bucket rooms on the reroute, at the price that you paid. And they did not resell your EB room at the high bucket, since it goes back into inventory at the bucket level that you paid for it. Hence Amtrak takes a bit of a bath on allowing you to reroute.

Now I'm not suggesting that Amtrak shouldn't be considering the Customer Service side of things, and not just the costs. They clearly should be thinking of that, although I'm not positive that they are. But again Amtrak would be taking a loss if they let you rebook and the EB runs through and your room either goes empty or get's resold at the same bucket that you paid for it.

In addition to Alan's corrections above, you're also attempting to call a situation where the tracks were definitely impassible and the train was not going to be able to run with a situation where the tracks MAY not be passable and the train MAY not be able to run.

Like Alan has said before, once it's clear that your train will not be able to operate, Amtrak will take the action that you're seeking. But, if you want to bet on the fact that your train isn't going to run, you're going to have to foot the bill for that bet - Amtrak isn't going to do so until they're convinced that your train isn't going to run. I'm not saying that Amtrak won't do what you're asking, I'm saying that they won't do it until they're sure that the train isn't going to run.

In addition to Alan's corrections above, you're also attempting to call a situation where the tracks were definitely impassible and the train was not going to be able to run with a situation where the tracks MAY not be passable and the train MAY not be able to run.
Like Alan has said before, once it's clear that your train will not be able to operate, Amtrak will take the action that you're seeking. But, if you want to bet on the fact that your train isn't going to run, you're going to have to foot the bill for that bet - Amtrak isn't going to do so until they're convinced that your train isn't going to run. I'm not saying that Amtrak won't do what you're asking, I'm saying that they won't do it until they're sure that the train isn't going to run.
That's the point. Amtrak is business as usual until they actually cancel service. No matter how ominous the situation, no matter the probability that things will go bad, Amtrak passengers can only sit and wait until the plug is officially pulled on service, at which point it may be too late to save plans. Customers may have hotel reservations where the first night is lost 48 hours prior to arrival. They may have event tickets. They may have air reservations. No matter. Amtrak makes them wait.

I admit to not knowing the specifcs of the top of rail elevation of the former GN bridge used by Amtrak and whether the tracks have to get sandbagged to fill-in the dikes. But from topo maps of the area, it sure looks like the line will be underwater with the river stage at 36 feet or more. The current prediction is 40 feet on Friday.

I would agree that Amtrak should not allow rebookings when there is only a slight chance of a disruption. But if the situation gets to the point that the probability of a disruption is 75% or higher, then they should open for voluntary rebookings. Having the National Guard activated and filling several hundred thousand sandbags is a clue that something is amiss in Fargo. Looking at the NWS River Forecast graph is another clue. Why not get just a little out in front and allow your customers to stay your customers rather than wait for the sandbags to be placed across the tracks and the trains to be cancelled and then go into panic mode.

That's the point. Amtrak is business as usual until they actually cancel service. No matter how ominus the situation, no matter the probability that things will go bad, Amtrak passengers can only sit and wait until the plug is officially pulled on service, at which point it may be too late to save plans.

I would agree that Amtrak should not allow rebookings when there is only a chance of a disruption. But if the situation gets to the point that the probability of a disruption is 75% or higher, then they should open for voluntary rebookings. Having the National Guard activated and filling several hundred thousand sandbags is a clue that something is amiss in Fargo. Looking at the NWS River Forecast graph is another clue. Why not get just a little out in front and allow your customers to stay your customers rather than wait for the sandbags to be placed across the tracks and the trains to be cancelled and then go into panic mode. In the world outside of government-funded passenger railroads, that is called consideration for your customers.
This thread started out with the purpose of discussing whether flooding is likely to disrupt Empire Builder operations. I started a side journey focusing on the point at which Amtrak would allow EB passengers to reroute on other long distance trains (e.g. the CZ). We have thoroughly discussed that sidebar and opinions do vary. It is clear that Amtrak's policy and position is that they will not allow passengers to change there routings at par until they cancel they EB trains. That may not be a customer service and retention oriented stance, but it is their unequivocal position, and their prerogative. At this juncture let us focus on the progress of the floods and information on when the tracks may be impaired and trains cancelled. I am sure there will be ample future opportunity to critique the policies further if the EB's cancel and people have problems rebooking.

Here is a CNN update:

(CNN) -- Flooding threatened up to 6,000 homes Monday in Fargo, North Dakota, where residents rushed to fill more than 1 million sandbags to stem the flow of the Red River, city officials said.

"So far, we have 310,000 bags filled and ready to go, but that's a long way from the 1.5 million sandbags we need to fight this flood," City Administrator Pat Zavoral said on Sunday.

The National Guard and FEMA staff have been dispatched to help.

Rainfall over the next few days will determine whether the worst-case scenario happens. A mix of rain, snow and snow showers were forecast. Temperatures at or below freezing would help slow any runoff.

The city has closed a number of bridges over the Red River in the past week.

Water and sewage-treatment facilities were at risk as the river was expected to crest at about 40 feet over the next week or so. Flood stage is anything above 17 feet.

A record of 40.10 feet was set in April 1897. Fargo experienced similarly high flood waters in 1997 and 2001.

About 40 miles to the south, Wahpeton, North Dakota, and Breckenridge, just across the border in Minnesota, are experiencing major flooding. Dozens of communities in the Red River basin in both states are threatened by rising waters

It is clear that Amtrak's policy and position is that they will not allow passengers to change there routings at par until they cancel they EB trains. That may not be a customer service and retention oriented stance, but it is their unequivocal position, and their prerogative.
Glad that you've come to see the situation for what it is.

Best of luck on your trip.

I found the following on the BNSF Site. Sounds like there will be additional info tomorrow.

All Industrial Products and Agricultural Products Customers

03/23/2009

Preliminary Report: Flooding along the Red River

BNSF is monitoring areas along the Red River for flooding. The greatest impact is expected to be between Fargo, North Dakota and Noyes, Minnesota (Canadian border). We are anticipating flooding to occur on the morning of March 24, 2009. BNSF personnel will continue to provide additional information as it becomes available.

If you have any questions, please contact BNSF Customer Support at 1-888-428-2673, option 4, option 3.

It is clear that Amtrak's policy and position is that they will not allow passengers to change there routings at par until they cancel they EB trains. That may not be a customer service and retention oriented stance, but it is their unequivocal position, and their prerogative.

After seeing the post below by another reader with information from the BNSF site, I checked the status of eastbond EB 8 tonight to confirm that all is well. Two web sites posted a service interuption, so I called and spoke to a CSA at Amtrak. She confirmed that there is a service interuption on the March 23 and March 24 outbound EB Train 8's because of the flooding that is occuring now in the Midwest. We have transitioned from speculation to reality. I asked about Thursday's Train 8 departure (it is now 12:08 a.m. on Tuesday) and she advised that decisions had not yet been made beyond today's (March 24) departure and was unable to give me any guidance as to whether trains would be running again by Thursday. This was no comfort for trying to have some level of assurance that I can travel Thursday whether it be on the EB or CZ.

After seeing the post below by another reader with information from the BNSF site, I checked the status of eastbond EB 8 tonight to confirm that all is well. Two web sites posted a service interuption, so I called and spoke to a CSA at Amtrak. She confirmed that there is a service interuption on the March 23 and March 24 outbound EB Train 8's because of the flooding that is occuring now in the Midwest. We have transitioned from speculation to reality. I asked about Thursday's Train 8 departure (it is now 12:08 a.m. on Tuesday) and she advised that decisions had not yet been made beyond today's (March 24) departure and was unable to give me any guidance as to whether trains would be running again by Thursday. This was no comfort for trying to have some level of assurance that I can travel Thursday whether it be on the EB or CZ.

Replying to my own post with an update that is good news for most EB passengers... I just received an e-mail that said the following:

As a result of Flood Stages, the Empire Builder is expected to detour missing stops in Grand Forks, ND; Devils Lake, ND; and Rugby, ND.

I was told that the EB schedule is not yet posted for my travel dates (departing 3/26, returning 3/29) but that the above detour is how the EB is running east and west right now. This service alert is not yet posted on the Amtrak website. I just checked. I do note that the information provided is silent on Fargo.

This is the best of all worlds for my trip, with a Chicago destination. Re-routing on the CZ would have given me a level of certainty and been an adventure, but it would have made the trip a lot longer with two changes of trains each way. Under the detour scenario I have only one train, not three each way, and I will be able to connect with people I planned to see on the chosen dates.

Replying to my own post with an update that is good news for most EB passengers... I just received an e-mail that said the following:
As a result of Flood Stages, the Empire Builder is expected to detour missing stops in Grand Forks, ND; Devils Lake, ND; and Rugby, ND.

I was told that the EB schedule is not yet posted for my travel dates (departing 3/26, returning 3/29) but that the above detour is how the EB is running east and west right now. This service alert is not yet posted on the Amtrak website. I just checked. I do note that the information provided is silent on Fargo.
The Empire Builder will still have to cross the Red River at Fargo, but this is actually a shorter route than the standard one. Hey, you're going to get some rare mileage! I'm not sure if the Empire Builder has been on this route since 1997.

The Empire Builder will still have to cross the Red River at Fargo, but this is actually a shorter route than the standard one. Hey, you're going to get some rare mileage! I'm not sure if the Empire Builder has been on this route since 1997.

Glad to hear it's shorter, though the fact that it is a route not often traveled is not of much benefit since it travels through that area in the dark of night.

How will it be able to cross the Red River at Fargo if that is where the major flooding is supposed to occur??

How will it be able to cross the Red River at Fargo if that is where the major flooding is supposed to occur??
If the Red River reaches its predicted height, the Empire Builder won't be able to cross the river at Fargo. If service to Grand Forks, Devils Lake and Rugby is already canceled, I doubt it will be able to cross there. In that case I'd expect a bus bridge between St. Paul and Minot, probably detouring around the southern end of the flooding. As it is Amtrak is being very conservative -- the cancellation for Grand Forks doesn't extend to tomorrow's #7.

The weather in the area is, umm, unsettled. Minot, which suffered a thunderstorm with hail yesterday, is now under a blizzard warning. It would seem that this storm, fortunately, will trend north of Fargo. In any case, I wouldn't want to be on the road in that stuff.

There is a BNSF Mainline that runs directly from Minot to Fargo, heading south of the three towns you mention. So the problem now reduces to: How to cross the River in Fargo?

There is a BNSF Mainline that runs directly from Minot to Fargo, heading south of the three towns you mention. So the problem now reduces to: How to cross the River in Fargo?

The Fargo crossing question was one that immediately came to mind when they told me of the new plan. This incremental bit by bit disclosure of the plans and solutions is extremely frustrating. They imply they can cross by train. If that it not the case, say it will be a bus bridge and tell us how that will work. I edge ever closer to my 1:15 a.m. departure on 3/26 with mixed signals. All of this going on and zero service alerts on the Empire Builder posted on the Amtrak site. Are you kidding me?

All of this going on and zero service alerts on the Empire Builder posted on the Amtrak site. Are you kidding me?
That's hardly surprising; Amtrak is notorious for not getting timely info up on its website regarding disruptions. This has been a huge criticism for years. They've been a bit better of late at getting something up, although often not until the problem is several hours old, if not a day old. And that's better because they never used to get anything up most times.

But still it's not uncommon to learn about service disruptions faster from commuter service info, newspapers, and even the freight RR's themselves, before learning about it from Amtrak via the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back