Furloughs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy City LSA

Service Attendant
Howdy, all.

I've been lurking here for awhile and decided to finally join the conversation. It's quite an informative forum!

The topic of furloughs came up in another thread. I am in search of information or commentary...if anybody has any.

I am a new LSA in Chicago. I finished my classroom training in November, had training trips in December, and not much has been happening since. During training, I was constantly hearing about how badly LSA's were needed here. I'm guessing this was still as a result of the mass LSA firings. The Extra Board suddenly grew. I'm assuming this is in part due to the seasonal abolishments for the Upper Lounge LSA on 27/28. Who knows. But what I do know is that I am furloughed as of this Saturday!!! 1-2 months they say. A real shocker since I was repeatedly told by various individuals that LSA's were safe from this round of furloughs. Just TA's and SA's would be affected. Right. Looks like just my recent graduating class got the time off. That would be 5 individuals. Although 2 were offered the opportunity to work out of Miami for a couple of months...where they apparently need help.

To say this company is goofy would be an understatement I think. I don't know anything about furloughs since I've never experienced one. All I know is that I'm out of work and I won't have an income. I also think my insurance gets cut off, and I'm not sure if I lose rail privelages. If anybody has any insight or information about what the heck is going on and what the future might hold for LSA's in Chicago, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your furlough. How many LSA were furloughed in Chicago? Hang in there, they say 1-2 months.

AmtrakFan said:
Windy City LSA,I believe the 27/28 Upper Level Lounge Car Attendent is for the Peak Season only.    They also do need LSA's in New Orelans.   By the Way Welcome to the Forum :)
Thanks for the welcome. I should have joined sooner.

Yes, I guess the Upper Lounge job will return late spring/early summer. Those will fill up quickly with folks with senority!!

They have not as of yet given the option of a temporary transfer to NOL. Just Miami, but if I understand correctly, they're done transfering there. I'm not too fond of the idea of a couple of months away from home. Miami I might have considered, but I think I'd pass on NOL and wait it out.

I missed a Fed Ex delivery today. I'm not expecting anything, so I'm wondering if it's official notification from Amtrak?? I have only received a verbal from CMC so far. I'll find out tomorrow when Fed Ex returns. I would like to have more detailed info on the furlough since I'm new and all.

Hey Windy City, welcome to the forum.

I'm an SA/TA who too is furloughed out of NOL. First, the important answers. If you're still on your 120 day probation period, you need to contact your union regarding the health care issue. If you're not on probation, here's the deal: you have your health care for six months while furloughed. If you don't get recalled in six months and don't work one day on the clock, you'll be offered a COBRA membership which right now is about $550 a month. When you return to service, you'll get deductions of more than $75 to "repay" for the cafeteria plan that the ASWC contract has for furloughed employees. Second, as long as you are an employee of Amtrak, you've got travel previlages. So get out there and ride if you're a train buff. Just go to a ticket agent, travel on a blue day, and you're off. You'll have to pay the lowest fare bucket for a sleeper if want that service however.

Now here's what happens with you. If you have the ability, you really need to excercise your seniority, as small as it may be, and work in another crew base. As you already know, MIA really can use them. You'll get some time on Amfleet and Heritage diners, learn their strenghts and weaknesses to Superliners. NOL can use LSAs too, the crew base managers are real nice and the OBS train manager is OK if you can deal with a snake. Don't take her "letters of intent to discipline" seriously. That's just her way of saying she's your boss. Nothing personal. Housing will be your issue as it is in short supply.

If you're stuck in CHI, well just hang in there. You'll probably notice that many of the people in your training class won't respond to the recall because they have the Amtrak job security jitters. This will be your edge to get back sooner than you might think. Get a McDonald's job to cover your unemployment. After one year of service, you'll be able to get RRB unemployment benefits and not worry about these short term furlough periods.

Best of luck. Just remember that you've started a job in a shrinking company, so don't invest too much in this job. It pays relatively well, fantastic benefits, but has very little security to last more than a few years at best, especially you with such a low seniority roster number. I'm personally about to leave all together as I've been accepted as a Supervisory Visitor Use Assistant (Park Ranger) with the National Park Service in Grand Canyon. It's permanent, full-time federal civil service. I can't afford to stay with Amtrak with the OBS side being assulted from every front and not having any interest in the T&E side of operations. :unsure:

First of all .....I am sorry you got layoff for 2 months. Enjoy it . I got layoff in LA (as TA and SA in '02) and out of Washington ( as LSA , thats how I end up in back in LA). but you lucky. I been sitting at home waiting for job. Guess how long? A week. I counting on being layoff this time (as TA and SA) so I can bump in 2 New York but I guess I got to much time (3 years and cant even hold a Surfliner job) to get cut so I am stuck until May when I can put my transfer in.

Come to MIA and work the board here! You're coming in from a trip, and CMC is calling you before you get off the train. I can't get anymore time than my 48 hours these last few months which money wise is good, but not good regarding how taxing this all is on the body when it comes restwise! OBS...

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Come to MIA and work the board here! You're coming in from a trip, and CMC is calling you before you get off the train. I can't get anymore time than my 48 hours these last few months which money wise is good, but not good regarding how taxing this all is on the body when it comes restwise! OBS...
I don't know what's up with MIA. I'm going to call CMC and try to find out what the deal is. The offer was out there before the furlough thing came up. A guy at CMC said something to the effect of there were no more positions available. 2 of my classmates were offered after the furlough announcement, and that's the end of it it sounded like. I'll talk to them in the morning when I mark up. I was so aggrivated with the bad news that I marked off for the first time. But I'm going to be a stand up gal and try to get something before Saturday. I only have 40 hours in this month, so I'm sure they'll put me to the front of the board have me do something. Probably more Protec. I'm frustrated because I've had nothing but 6 Protec's since Christmas! No trips at all.

So maybe relief is on the way for you??? And to think I was worried that I'd only be having 48 hours rest between trips...

Best wishes...and get some rest!!!

This just thread just gave me a heart attack. I’m starting my training for an LSA position next week and i came across this thread. I started reading and thought they were in the process of furloughing a bunch of employees....until I realized the original post is from 2006.....phew

This just thread just gave me a heart attack. I’m starting my training for an LSA position next week and i came across this thread. I started reading and thought they were in the process of furloughing a bunch of employees....until I realized the original post is from 2006.....phew
Assuming your Crew Base is Chicago or anywhere West of there, you should be fine....

Thank you. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous but I’m definitely excited. Looking back in past threads I’ve heard some not so “welcoming” reviews about working as an LSA, but I know well enough that not everyones opinions can be taken as bible. Nonetheless I can’t wait to start.

Back