Fun Facts about Amtrak’s Network

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the Hoosier State a locomotive and one car at times?
Since Hoosier State in its current incarnation has both Business Class and Cafe Service, it cannot possibly be a one car train until something changes to remove those additional services.

Speaking of this, I wonder if you count the Texas Eagle and the old route of the Sunset Limited(when it used to run east into Florida, I think to Orlando) separately, which of those 2 trains had the most stops it serviced? Doesn't matter if a station is a flag stop or not, it'd be interesting to know which of those 2(if counted separately) had more stops. Later on, I should check timetables.org , to see which of those 2 trains had more stops.
When the Sunset was initially extended to Florida by Amtrak it ran all the way to Miami. It was later cut back to Orlando.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Hoosier State in its current incarnation has both Business Class and Cafe Service, it cannot possibly be a one car train until something changes to remove those additional services.
Speaking of this, I wonder if you count the Texas Eagle and the old route of the Sunset Limited(when it used to run east into Florida, I think to Orlando) separately, which of those 2 trains had the most stops it serviced? Doesn't matter if a station is a flag stop or not, it'd be interesting to know which of those 2(if counted separately) had more stops. Later on, I should check timetables.org , to see which of those 2 trains had more stops.
When the Sunset was initially extended to Florida by Amtrak it ran all the way to Miami. It was later cut back to Orlando.
The Texas Eagle has more stations than the Sunset Limited did when it continued to Orlando, with 42 against the SL's 39. However, when the SL ran to Miami it would have been the winner, with 49/50. This assumes that that stops were the same as today's Silver Meteor (with or without Okeechobee), but even if there were fewer stations it is unlikely that there would have been less than the 4 necessary to overtake the TE.

WAT is Amtrak's Shortest train? How many cars?
springfield shuttle at a locomotive and two coaches.
Hoosier State now runs with two coaches and a business/cafe car. Previously it ran with two coaches. In both cases, it also ran/runs with whatever deadheads are heading to Beech Grove. I believe some of the New Haven-Springfield local run with only two coaches.

Back