Frontier Airlines Joins Spirit in Rip Off the Pax!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Frontier Airlines, Denver Based, has just Announced that they will join Spirit Airlines in Charging $25-$100 for carry-On Baggage for Anyone who Books through Another On-Line Site or Agency, (ie Orbitz/Cheap Flights/Travel Agents etc.) Also they will start Charging $1.99 for Coffe/Tea or Soft Drinks, Water Wasn't Mentioned! <_< Way to Go Frontier, the Race to the Bottom is On!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or is it a race to higher profits?

From CNBC, 4/30/13:

Spirit Airlines' first-quarter net income jumped 30 percent as tickets and fees propelled the carrier beyond Wall Street expectations.

The company earned $30.6 million, or 42 cents per share, up from $23.4 million, or 32 cents per share, in the same quarter of 2012. Excluding one-time items, the company posted an adjusted profit of 45 cents per share, beating analyst projections by 3 cents.

Revenue rose 23 percent to $370.4 million, also a surprise to the upside.
The full story is HERE.

Frontier Airlines, Denver Based, has just Announced that they will join Spirit Airlines in Charging $25-$100 for carry-On Baggage for Anyone who Books through Another On-Line Site or Agency, (ie Orbitz/Cheap Flights/Travel Agents etc.) Also they will start Charging $1.99 for Coffe/Tea or Soft Drinks, Water Wasn't Mentioned! <_< Way to Go Frontier, the Race to the Bottom is On!
Spirit Airlines was on the path to bankruptcy back when they operated business as usual. So, even though I won't be flying them I can understand why they turned everything upside down. They're not trying to appeal to people like us anyway. They're probably trying to appeal to college kids and backpackers. I actually flew Frontier to Las Vegas for under $150 round trip a couple months ago. Do you suggest I should have taken Amtrak to Las Vegas instead? Every other airline was closer to double Frontier's price and Amtrak doesn't even reach Las Vegas on their own hardware. If you don't want to pay extra fees for luggage and drinks (water is still free) then you can always price check on other websites before booking directly with Frontier. These days that's generally how I do it unless it's a business trip or award ticket.

I always book directly through the airlines. I might use the other sites to see which airlines have the best prices. Lately I've used Google Flights to check prices & availability.

I don't mind this fee since I always book directly through airline websites. It seems like a way to try and discourage passengers from booking through third-party websites and the hefty commissions third party websites charge the airline. I understand why Frontier is doing this.

I like Frontiers Economy/Classic/Classic Plus fare structure a lot. I would fly them often from New York to College in Colorado and would choose an Economy ticket if I had no bags to check (a quick, short break) and a Classic ticket if I had bags to check (like before or after the summer). It was really nice to simply pay the $25-$30 in bag fees as I booked, generally I would be checking two bags (that would have cost $40) and also got some nice other perks on the airplane like better seat collection and free DirectTV (a perk no longer included even with the Classic Plus fares).

Frankly I find the belly-aching about airlines charging for coffee, tea or soft drinks in economy class somewhat amusing in a forum that sings the glory of Amtrak. Try getting a coffee, tea or soft drink in Amtrak Coach without paying for it. For that matter you can't get any for free even in Acela Business Class, which could hardly be characterized as an LCC.
In India, my preferred airline these days is IndiGo, which has a similar fare structure philosophy. You can up front buy a basic trransportation ticket for which everything is add-on, or you can buy upgraded packages which includes things people typically want packaged. you get to choose when buying the ticket. As it turns out I always buy a package with a pre-assigned seat, and food, since the upcharge is so small. For those that want to opt for the bare minimum fare, why should they be denied that option?

I don't use the third-party sites anymore. Sometimes I'll use them to compare flight costs, but that's it. I realized that, 99% of the time, the price I paid through Expedia or Travelocity was the exact same price I would have paid through the airline's website. I use Google now, like Betty. So much easier. :)

Charging for carry-on is ridiculous. I understood charging for checked bags since it was intended to relieve some of the cost for those who only travel with a carry-on and don't bring their entire wardrobe. I didn't see ticket prices go down after that, so so much for that, but whatever.

On the other hand, I don't know anyone who flies without SOME kind of carry-on luggage, so that charge seems rather unfounded. Just build it into the ticket prices. Same with the soda and coffee. Not many people will notice tickets going up $10/stretch, but they ARE going to notice a bunch of BS fees tacked on afterward.

I don't use the third-party sites anymore. Sometimes I'll use them to compare flight costs, but that's it. I realized that, 99% of the time, the price I paid through Expedia or Travelocity was the exact same price I would have paid through the airline's website. I use Google now, like Betty. So much easier. :)
Charging for carry-on is ridiculous. I understood charging for checked bags since it was intended to relieve some of the cost for those who only travel with a carry-on and don't bring their entire wardrobe. I didn't see ticket prices go down after that, so so much for that, but whatever.

On the other hand, I don't know anyone who flies without SOME kind of carry-on luggage, so that charge seems rather unfounded. Just build it into the ticket prices. Same with the soda and coffee. Not many people will notice tickets going up $10/stretch, but they ARE going to notice a bunch of BS fees tacked on afterward.
The reason for the carry-on charge is to reduce the number of bags carried on in order to maintain short turnaround times. Planes on the ground don't make money, and long turn times keep planes on the ground. Much of the delay in boarding passengers comes from those who carry on too much stuff, then struggle to get it all in the overhead. For later boarding groups, often that means running the bags back up front to be gate checked. Those bags then have to be sent down to the ramp and loaded on the plane. All this results in slow boarding and long turn times. If an airline can limit the number of bags carried on, it can greatly reduce the time needed to board an aircraft. It does not take much time to simply walk on a plane and sit down.

For those airlines that do this, the prepaid charge for checking a bag is usually lower than the charge for carrying on, thus encouraging checking bags and discouraging carry on.

Charging for CARRY-ON is right on! Discourage those travelers who don't check anything, (me) from slowing down the whole boarding process. (me)

Offer one FREE checked bag, and charge a modest amount for carry-on, outside of either (1) a purse or laptop bag.

Do you realize how much easier and faster boarding would be? People (me) refuse to check now for a few reasons:

• Fees
  • Takes to long to get bags
I don't use a humungus roller-board bag. Usually just a laptop, coat, and backpack-style suitcase.

I think that Ryanair is the leader in that 'race'.......IIRC, they charge passenger's to use the restroom.........
Actually, they don't. The CEO floated that idea briefly but it never came to fruition. The CEO of Ryanair is known for making outlandish proposals to get publicity then quietly walking them back (or being told by regulators or aircraft manufacturers that they won't accommodate his ideas...such as Standing Room Only tickets and replacing most on-board lavs with more seats). The reason he does this is that the airline's actual policies seem quite reasonable in comparison to his headline-generating ideas.

I don't mind this fee since I always book directly through airline websites. It seems like a way to try and discourage passengers from booking through third-party websites and the hefty commissions third party websites charge the airline. I understand why Frontier is doing this.
I try to book directly through airlines' websites too (guess I got "trained" to do this back in the day that you would actually get bonus FF miles for booking directly on an airline website). But the fact is, there are some itineraries that are cheaper by booking multi-airline connections. So once in a while I'll book a flight on Expedia that includes Airline A to a connecting city, and Airline B for the next segment. Sometimes this saves significant cash versus booking it on a single airline (or sometimes booking on a single airline isn't possible if no single airline serves both my departing and arriving city). I'm not saying I'll avoid Frontier in this situation, but it would certainly make me think twice.

Frankly I find the belly-aching about airlines charging for coffee, tea or soft drinks in economy class somewhat amusing in a forum that sings the glory of Amtrak. Try getting a coffee, tea or soft drink in Amtrak Coach without paying for it. For that matter you can't get any for free even in Acela Business Class, which could hardly be characterized as an LCC.
:) Excellent point! In fact, try getting a soft drink on Amtrak for "only" $1.99. The going rate seems to be $2.25.

I took Cebu Pacific Air in the Philippines a few months ago and they charged for everything. Even a seat reservation fee. When booking they asked if I was going to check a bag, and I would need to pay for it now, to get the discount. Otherwise, pay a lot more at the ticket counter. Well they didn't say that their maximum weight for carry-ons was only 7 kg! Since my small back pack was about 10 kg, I'd have to either check it or go buy another bag and carry two items on the plane, (instead of one!) I just got on the plane anyway with my one overweight carryon. No one said a word. I did notice that I probably had the largest bag of anyone though, which was just a medium size hiking pack.

I always book directly through the airlines. I might use the other sites to see which airlines have the best prices. Lately I've used Google Flights to check prices & availability.
When I don't fly Amtrak and have to fly "the other guys", I first compare the fares on sites like Expedia or Travelocity, but then I book directly with the airline's website. Sometimes you can even find lower fares, and you don't pay any other fees (like a booking fee). And if you collect frequent flyer miles, you may also get extra from booking on the airline's site! :excl:

When I don't fly Amtrak and have to fly "the other guys", I first compare the fares on sites like Expedia or Travelocity, but then I book directly with the airline's website. Sometimes you can even find lower fares, and you don't pay any other fees (like a booking fee). And if you collect frequent flyer miles, you may also get extra from booking on the airline's site! :excl:
1. Which aggregate sites charge the consumer for booking fees?

2. Which airlines give you extra miles for booking directly?

The reason for the carry-on charge is to reduce the number of bags carried on in order to maintain short turnaround times. Planes on the ground don't make money, and long turn times keep planes on the ground. Much of the delay in boarding passengers comes from those who carry on too much stuff, then struggle to get it all in the overhead. For later boarding groups, often that means running the bags back up front to be gate checked. Those bags then have to be sent down to the ramp and loaded on the plane. All this results in slow boarding and long turn times. If an airline can limit the number of bags carried on, it can greatly reduce the time needed to board an aircraft. It does not take much time to simply walk on a plane and sit down.

For those airlines that do this, the prepaid charge for checking a bag is usually lower than the charge for carrying on, thus encouraging checking bags and discouraging carry on.
Bleh. So we're all getting punished for the entitled morons who can't use a measuring tape to save their lives. Excellent.

As a frequent flier member of Frontier, they sent me an email today describing the new changes that will "improve your travel experience". Now, I am not as smart as these airline folks, but I am wondering how will

1) asking me to pay for carry on bag that was free so far

2) Increasing the checked bag fee for airport check-in from $20 to $25

3) Charging $1.99 for drinks that were free so far

4) Reducing FF miles I can get if I book from a third party site from 50% to 25%

IMPROVE travel experience?

If an airline wants to impose these fees, fine, its their airline, their decision, but saying it is going to improve experience is utter BS. Frontier used to be one of my favorite airline, then they stopped giving chocolate chip cookies onboard that got me a bit disappointed, and now with all these improvements Frontier has now dropped to the BOTTOM of my preferred choices. I will explicitly make it a point to avoid them now.

Look, I would have fallen for the argument that making everything paid add-on will result in lower fares for people who want to travel without those perks IF airline fares followed some known pattern where I can see a noticeable drop. Currently airlines set up their fares absolutely randomly, so HOW am I to be convinced that these changes resulted in a lower fare? The fare could be lower simply because they wildly swing the fares around on a daily, sometimes even hourly basis. Corporate BS.

Bleh. So we're all getting punished for the entitled morons who can't use a measuring tape to save their lives. Excellent.
Not necessarily - if everyone brought on the allowed number of carryon items that were near (but within!) the limits, there's no way there would be enough room in the overhead for all of it.

My biggest reason for booking direct tends to be that it saves another party being thrown into the equation.

Now if it was a live travel agent or someone that I can talk to in-person that I trust, then I could see the benefit. But when it's just another company, I'd rather work directly with the airline instead of getting the runaround from two different large companies.

My biggest reason for booking direct tends to be that it saves another party being thrown into the equation.
Now if it was a live travel agent or someone that I can talk to in-person that I trust, then I could see the benefit. But when it's just another company, I'd rather work directly with the airline instead of getting the runaround from two different large companies.
I agree with this completely. Just try to cancel or change reservations, I have and got a three way runaround each time.

My issue with the buy-on-board plans tends to be the TSA fluids rule (and the fact that the airport isn't generally that much better in terms of costs). Now, if the airlines were inclined to fight that rule, that would be one thing, but as long as it's there I don't like those plans.

I know this is a shift in my attitudes, but...it's one thing to run an OBS operation (whether the prices are reasonable or not) in an environment where passengers can bring their own stuff on and another to run it with a captive audience. Don't worry, I'm almost universal in these views and I resent stadiums and so forth for the same reasons.

I can't understand the consternation. What difference does it make if my ticket costs $200, and I can check a bag for free, vs. a ticket that costs $175, plus there's a $25 charge to check a bag? The charging for drinks seems even less important. I used to always pack a bottle of water in my carry on (which is always small enough to fit under the seat in front of me). Now I bring an empty plastic bottle through security and fill it up at a water fountain. I've always felt a chump buying water, anyway.

I guess what I don't understand is this: flying is cheap. I'm flying from St. Paul to Kansas City this month for $59. Next month I fly to San Diego for $110. At those prices, I really can't expect more than that the airlines (Southwest and American, respectively) get me to the correct airport safe and more or less on time. I don't blame the airlines for adding fees, especially since I've never found it particularly difficult to ascertain what fees are applicable and whether to pay or avoid them.

I'll admit it does seem strange that the airline business model seems to be approaching that of Blockbuster Video, which notoriously made money not on renting videos, but on late fees, but that's a problem for the airlines and their stockholders, not me.

I generally agree with Ispolkom.

For me whther I even use any food on flight dfepends on the length of the flight. Typically on a flight (or a train ride less than 3 hours, food is not that omportant. Something to drink is nice, whether I bring it on board myself or get one on board. Three to 8 or so hours, at least one meal is important. A single meal is something that I can buy at the airport and bring on board, and possibly even an additional snacking item. It is still useful to have food for purchase avallable on board in case I don;t have time to pick something up at the airport due to close connection or whatever.

Beyond 8 hours, it is absolutely essential that there be food service on the flight. I cannot imagine a 15 hour flight to India with no food service. That I think is unworkable.

Coming to think of it, my behavior appears to be similar on trains too. I seldom partake of food on an Acela run to Washington or Boston, another reason why I do not spring for First Class. It is an expensive additional facility that I seldom really need. The fact that I consume alcohol only very occasionally also plays into that. On a ride to Norfolk or Charlottsville from NJ I would have at least one meal and some snacks. Usually I buy and take along the meal from Subway or some such and use the on board cafe for the snacks and drinks. On LD trains rela food service is essential.

Having said that, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, if the upchatrge for a ticket that includesfood is reasonable, I'd take the package, since it is one hassle that then i don;t have to keep track of separately. I'd do this even on a less than three hour flight today. I probably would not have done so in my grad student days of poverty, when I even rode Amtrak only when I could get someone else to pay for it. Fortunately since in the latter half of my thesis work, my adviser had moved to Oregon and I was in New York, I got many trips on Amtrak (Boradway Limited, Empire Builder, North Coast Hiawatha, Pioneer/San Francisco Zephyr) paid for out of my reserach grant, and that too in Slumbercoach and Roomette! back then Amtrak Sleeper was surprisingly price competitive with airline fares!

My question is - is the cost of the soda for the whole can or just for the small cup of soda they usually give you? I'd prefer the smaller can at a lower cost because I generally don't want a 16 oz soda on the plane.

Back