FNBO closed account and deleted points - any chance to reinstate?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the suggestion of another AU-er, I opened a formal complaint with the feds and FNBO was required to respond to me. Low and behold, they reviewed our documentation (again) and then reversed their decision and reopened our closed account!

I am thankful for the suggestion to make a formal complaint as I was unaware of how to do that. I will set up an auto-charge each month to keep the card active.

Thanks, all, FNBO was really thick-headed on this issue until we got someone else involved.

reopen.jpg

I will set up an auto-charge each month to keep the card active.
I'm glad your points are back but would it not be better to use them as originally intended and then simply close the account? I've had to help people who lost track of point-dangling credit card accounts and they always ended up losing more to penalties than they ever received from redeeming points. It only takes one missed payment for the usury level charges to get started and by the time you realize what has happened you could be on the hook for thousands.

Yes, it would be better to use them. In fact I had planned to use them when Amtrak had the recent sale on roommates. But they would not accept points for payment, only cash. So I didn't want to pay more for the room with points when it was "cheaper" using cash equivalent. I know, probably stupid on my part but now the points don't expire for 2 years.

I have used some of the points for Club Acela access since you can get two people in and it's only 1,500 points. Also, I have used some of the points for state-supported corridor travel since they are really cheap if you buy them in advance.

Back