Flat Iron Seaks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is good (in my opinion), but it is still a roast, not a traditional grilled steak. The only grilled steaks are on the Empire Builder (and maybe the AutoTrain?).

Not an issue for Sleeping Car passengers, but the roast version is definitely not a $22.50 meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking a turn with my son tomorrow on the Crescent. Was wondering if the "real" flat irons are back yet or is it still Dinty Moore?
On Monday (11/2) on the Silver Star, it was still the Pot Roast version. It was good (and tender), but it should not be called a Flat Iron Steak.

The TE and CONO should have em' back, the trains with their own menus (except the LSL and Cardinal) will get the grilled steaks back any day, with the LSL and Card retaining theirs, and the national menu will be changed the 11th of this month.

On Monday (11/2) on the Silver Star, it was still the Pot Roast version. It was good (and tender), but it should not be called a Flat Iron Steak.
Also, there was a Crescent menu left in my sleeper. It did have the Flat Iron Steak (non-pot roast) listed.

My sister had one on The Cardinal and the inside was still frozen. They re-microwaved it and it tasted like pot roast.

So I guess the trains with their own menus have been "refreshened" as Amtrak said they would. And the nationals are due to be redone on the 11th.

Thanks all...now all I have to worry about is that the word got out that Dinty Moore stayed in Sunnyside this trip..in other words I hope that there are three flat irons left when they make their last feed on #19 tonight. Off to Slidell to board #20; going to see NS and KCS business trains. Maybe we can con someone out of a free lunch.

Taking a turn with my son tomorrow on the Crescent. Was wondering if the "real" flat irons are back yet or is it still Dinty Moore?
I think that calling it "Dinty Moore" is a little cruel! LOL. I had the pot roast version on the Southwest Chief last night from LMY to LAX and thought that it was quite good -- tasty and tender. Don't expect a steak, but rather a very good pot roast.

I think that calling it "Dinty Moore" is a little cruel! LOL. I had the pot roast version on the Southwest Chief last night from LMY to LAX and thought that it was quite good -- tasty and tender. Don't expect a steak, but rather a very good pot roast.
I agree. I had the roast on my trip last month and thought it was quite good. Much better than I was expecting after reading this forum. I had the grilled flat-iron on the Builder and that was very good also.

Sorry you think I'm being cruel about the steaks. Turn the table for a minute...is it fair to a customer to advertise a flat iron and wind up with some version of beef stew and charge the same price as a real flat iron? I have to say $22.50 is quite steep for what you were getting even on Amtrak. No worry though, the real flat irons are back and they were good! I think if you read past posts on this you will see a vast majority of the mega-milers agree it ain't what it used to be.

Had the Flat Iron on the Empire Builder in September. There were eight in our group all eight of us ordered it and all eight of us thought it was horrible. Two words tasteless and tough.

I had the "Braised Flat Iron Bordelaise" on the Southwest Chief last month and I though it was pretty good. The word "steak" does not appear in the description.

This USDA corn-fed, choice top blade cut is aged 21 days to ensure flavor complexity. The beef is then braised in red wine and reduced veal stock with shallots and herbs. Served with a baked potato, sour cream and vegetable medley.

I had a Flat Iron Steak on the Empire Builder recently. Didn't ike it one bit. Gave Wifey a bite and she thought it was fine. I think I just don't like the new "butter marinated" flavor.

So I'll hope to eat Crab Cakes and Lamb Shanks.

I had the "Braised Flat Iron Bordelaise" on the Southwest Chief last month and I though it was pretty good. The word "steak" does not appear in the description.
This USDA corn-fed, choice top blade cut is aged 21 days to ensure flavor complexity. The beef is then braised in red wine and reduced veal stock with shallots and herbs. Served with a baked potato, sour cream and vegetable medley.
For that matter, the "Butcher’s Choice Cut Steak" on the Empire Builder isn't a flat iron steak. From the shape, I'd guess that it was some sort of sirloin. I thought it was fine, though I'll admit that I rarely encounter a steak I really dislike.

Sorry you think I'm being cruel about the steaks. Turn the table for a minute...is it fair to a customer to advertise a flat iron and wind up with some version of beef stew and charge the same price as a real flat iron? I have to say $22.50 is quite steep for what you were getting even on Amtrak. No worry though, the real flat irons are back and they were good! I think if you read past posts on this you will see a vast majority of the mega-milers agree it ain't what it used to be.
I think that the problem is that the "mega-milers" get on the train and expect a grilled steak, since that what the beef meal usually is. I think that for the "average joe", they get on the train, read the menu item listed above and are none the wiser, and it isn't the big deal that some make it out to be. Now it may or may not be worth the 22 bucks (I've never had it), but it should probably be measured as a meal on it's own, not as compared to the usual steak and it would solve a lot of people's heartache.

I had a delicious flat iron steak on the way back from the Gathering. That was leaving NYP Tuesday afternoon November 3.
My wife and I left The Gathering on 11/3 and had the Flat Iron on the LSL after the merge in Albany. It wasn't steak and it was terrible.

I had a delicious flat iron steak on the way back from the Gathering. That was leaving NYP Tuesday afternoon November 3.
My wife and I left The Gathering on 11/3 and had the Flat Iron on the LSL after the merge in Albany. It wasn't steak and it was terrible.

The Diner-Lite cars don't have grills, so grilled items are not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also goes back to about 2006 when there wern't steaks or freshly cooked meals at all! So just enjoy the food, and if you don't like it, don't get it because steak isn't the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back