first trip on amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello amtrak enthusiasts!My family(2-adults,1-college student and a 13y/o)and possibly my mother(71y/o) would like to visit my brothers family in Lake Havasu City,Az.it looks like the Southwestern Chief(leaving from Chicago) would be best bet and detraining in Kingman,AZ(approx 60miles from my brothers home).several questions:we would like to get a sleeper car of some sort ,we need one with a built-in bathroom(my wife who is diabled due to colorectal cancer treatment needs this for privacy concerns).the least expensive one would be fine as the rest of us could take turns sleeping in the car or our seats.the private bathroom is the primary concern not the sleeping arrangements.we havent been out of the state of indiana(Inpls) in eleven years because of the nature of my wifes illness.she feels a little better to travel and we felt this my be the best way to get there.(flying is out even though it is quicker because the extremely limited restroom facilities on the plane versus the uncertainty of when she would need them.)On amtrak website it looks like a sleeper with built-in restroom is around 1,000 each way.this is a little too much for our budget.does anyone have any creative ideas on maybe a different way to calculate or schedule?we are AAA members and we would like to go sometime between june 1 and first 2-weeks in august.This is flexible(i know-prime time!!) Any help would be appreciated and god bless gary moore

It sounds like you might be planning to share one bedroom with four or five people. I doubt the train crew is going to appreciate this as passengers in the sleeping cars are considered "First Class" and get meal service. Normally the dining car separates the sleepers from the coaches to this way they better identify the first class passengers. I know the cost may be out of your budget but you will have a lot more fun if you get a family bedroom where everyone can stay together.

Admiral,

I'd call up Amtrak and ask about the Handicapped room, as I would think that you should qualify for that. It should be a little cheaper, although not hugely cheaper, than the bedroom. The handicapped room sleeps two and it does have it's own bathroom.

It should be noted however, that the bathroom in the Handicapped room is only behind a curtain, it does not have a door that seperates it from the rest of the room.

Alternatively, you could just ask for a roomette on the lower level of the car. There are 3 public bathrooms on this level and it's very rare that all 3 are in use at the same time.

Another member mentioned the family bedroom. However, the family bedroom doesn't have an in-room toilet, and it also was designed for families with young children. The sleeping accommodations would only be enough to accommodate two adults, and two young children. The 13 year-old might, with some difficulty, fit into the child's bed. There's no way a college student would.

As Alan said, I'd look into the handicapped room, which only accommodates two, and an extra roomette. This combination would accommodate four people. If your mother decides to come along, it is *possible* that you can convince the crew to let the fifth person into the sleeping car (no guarantees), but you would only be able to get four meals in the dining car (the fifth would have to pay). No matter what, the fifth person would need a ticket, so buy a coach ticket anyway, just in case they stick to the rules and make the fifth person sit back there.

I'm not familiar with the seating arrangement in the handicap room, so I don't know how easily three people could sit in there. I know that three people would be extremely uncomfortable for a roomette.

Lastly, use the website (as I'm sure you already have) to check different dates throughout the summer, and find the dates with the lowest cost. Also, check the cost of the family room and bedrooms anyway, just in case you find a good price (the family room has plenty of room to accommodate 3-4 people during the daytime, and a bedroom can also accommodate 3 people). A handicap room can't be booked online, so you would have to call for that. But book early, as there is only one handicap room per car, and only two or three sleeping cars per train, and the summer trains tend to sell out very early.

I hope you are able to find a solution that works out for your family. And be sure to let us know if you have any other questions.

rmadisonwi said:
I'm not familiar with the seating arrangement in the handicap room, so I don't know how easily three people could sit in there. I know that three people would be extremely uncomfortable for a roomette.
Three people can easily sit in the handicapped room. Sleeping might be a bit more complicated, as two would have to share the lower bed.

thanks to all who have replied.I would like all to know that im not trying to "cheat" amtrak or anything underhanded like that.I had hoped the chief would have a 2-person roomette with built-in toilet(like cardinal #50,#51)this is part of my learning experience between the viewliner and superliner.if my mom went she would stay in the 2-bed bedroom with my wife, and the kids and myself would"sleep" in our coach seats.Ill call amtrak and talk with them.My wife does receive disability benefits and has a letter from her surgeon so maybe this will help getting that hadicapped room-if available.my wife is sometimes ok with traveling if she does not eat but i would not want her to go almost 40hours with nothing.I will let you know if this works out and tell of our adventure.My mom rode the trains (from indiana to florida back in the 60s).so she is excited to go again.ive alsways wanted to go "training" but just never was able to make it work.thanks again for all your advice.If you have anymore tips or words of wisdom please throw them my way :) gary

If your wife is unable to go to upper level since the handicapped room is located on lower level, the attendant will bring the meals to you. Remember that sleeper class tickets will entitle you complimentary meals from dining car.

Your experience on the Cardinal is the use of a Viewliner sleeping car roomette. The only toilet equipped rooms include the Bedroom and Handicapped Room. Roomettes and Family Room don't have private toilets.

All Viewliner rooms have toilets. The shower space is the only "common" facility on this car for Roomette passengers. Bedrooms include showers with their watercloset space.

Good luck have a great trip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back