First Trip! Albany NY > Winter Haven FL, Any tips?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortpants

Train Attendant
I've been lurking around the forums for a while, planning our first family trip on a train! I figured it was about time to join the conversation. :)

We are a family of 4, myself, DH, DD 5yo and DD almost 2 yo. I just booked our trip leaving from Albany, NY to Winter Haven, FL for July and we are all so excited! We have coach seats on on Empire Service from Albany to NYP, then we splurged for the bedroom on the Silver Meteor from NYP to Winter Haven.

Anyone have any recent experience with these routes? Do they tend to run on time? I am a little concerned about the 90 min layover at NYP on our trip down might be cutting it a little close if the Empire is running late.

Thanks for such a wonderful forum, I have learned much from the members generously sharing information and experiences. :)

Welcome! :hi:

These routes typically run on time. If you're concerned about the connection time between trains in NYP, is there any way you can take the train from ALB departing before the one you're scheduled on? (There are numerous trains per day. You will have to change your reservations.) It's better than worrying "Am I going to make it?"

Enjoy your trip! :)

My only advice would be to take earplugs! Not because of your kids, but just because the strange noises may really interfere with your sleep. The sleepers of today are just way quieter than they were in the 70's, but I always bring earplugs.

And enjoy the trip!

Thank you the_traveler! I was actually mistaken, the 90 min layover is on our return trip, so that makes me worry a bit less. I still may look at different connecting trains for that trip, but I made sure Hubby took one extra day off "just in case". :)

Thank you too penfrydd! I had been debating on earplugs, but it sounds like it's a must have item. I think we will ALL be so excited, not a ton of sleep will happen, but I'd rather have good sleep without unknown sounds waking me up.

What about carseats on commuter trains with no checked baggage? We need to bring the booster (no back, so this one isn't such a big deal) for the 5 yo, and the big convertible car seat for the 18 mo old. The agent I spoke too said there would be plenty of room to stash them in the baggage area, so hopefully that is the case. And what about tips for lugging said carseat around NYP to catch the Silver Meteor? I'm trying to pack us as light as humanly possible, but we will still have two carseats (and two kids) to contend with too. I have to admit maneuvering around NYP is more than a little daunting to me. LOL!

Please use a RedCap @ NYP to board your Train! They will take you down the escelator or elevator to board your Train ahead of the Thundering Hurd! A tip of $2 a Bag is a good Investment(you can do the carryons and baby seats/they'll do the heavy lifting!

Since you're in a Sleeper y'all qualify to use the Club Acela, let the desk know when you check in that you'd like a RedCap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you jimhudson! I was wondering about the RedCaps and how we might be able to use them. I had read a few things about Club Acela too, much appreciate the confirmation that we CAN hang out there waiting for our next train.

the train from Albany is not a commuter train but an Amtrak train. And there is plenty of room in the luggage racks above your seats for the car seats and your bags!

Before the train arrives in NYP, ask the Conductor that you would like a Red Cap in NYP, and he/she will arrange for one. But there will be many on the platform also. (You may have to wait for the next one - but you will be assisted.)

The only advice (other than what was said above) is to relax and have fun! It should be a great trip.

I will disagree with the earplugs, I don't think they're necessary at all.

Ahhh, I see, thank you the_traveler. I'm hoping to pack as little as possible since we will be visiting family and able to do laundry once we get to FL, but the carseats were perplexing me. I also don't want to schlep a huge suitcase, assorted carry ons, two carseats and two kiddos through NYP if I can avoid it. Sounds like the RedCap will be perfect!

I can't tell you how excited we all are, thank you RyanS! When we started planning this trip, we were going to fly, but with a 6'6" and about 350 lbs hubby, airplanes are NOT comfortable at all. Then throw in the 2 little ones and I decided flying might not be for us. We drove down once when our oldest DD was about 18 mos, and it wasn't too bad, but I don't know if I'd want to do it with two kiddos! So I looked at Amtrak and was sold! We are all really looking forward to the experience and the adventure of train travel. :)

I travel on the Silver Meteor quite often (in fact, I was on train 97 yesterday). I find the bedrooms quite comfortable, but may be a bit tight with 3 of you, a baby and 2 car seats. There is no public storage area on the Silvers, but there is additional storage space above the hallway. Your tall husband should have no problem accessing the space. If you are unable to find the storage area, ask your attendant to show you. The enclosed toilet/shower is fairly small. I have no problem using the shower and toilet, but I am 5'2". Some of the taller/larger members complain that it is difficult to shower in the confined space. There is a community shower near the attendant's room and coffee pot that is larger than than in room shower. There are no public toilets in the Silver Meteor's (Viewliner) sleeper cars. (However, the next generation of Viewliner sleepers will have public restrooms).

I hope you enjoy the Silver Meteor as much as I do.

You may want to consider checking the carseats and big bags - both Albany and Winter Haven have checked bag service available. Your Empire train doesn't have a baggage car, but they should send the bags on the Lakeshore Limited. You may have to drop them off the day before to ensure that they are waiting for you in FL when you arrive.

That would make the trip much easier. Just carry on what you'll need on the train.

Also..... I tend to agree with Ryan (with whom I almost always agree) about the ear plugs. I have taken many long distance train trips in a sleeper, and only used ear plugs once (although I bring them with me just in case).

Awesome! Thank you so much pennyk! I have looked at EVERY YouTube video on the Viewliner bedrooms and knew it was going to be tight quarters for all four of us, but it is SUPER helpful to hear it from someone like yourself. Given that the only other option was to get two roomettes, we really didn't want to do that, it was pretty important for us to be able to be together in the same room, plus the roomettes looked pretty tiny anyway. :)

I was under the impression that we could check some baggage once we got to NYP, like the carseat or anything else we may not need to have access to while on the train, is that not the case? I had considered driving to Lorton and taking the Auto Train (and the car, with all our stuff! No worries of space!), but hubby vetoed that saying, "If we're driving to Virginia, might as well drive the whole way!" So that plan got shelved. LOL!

As Ryan suggested, you can check luggage. I travel alone and travel light, and do not check luggage, so I am the wrong person to ask regarding details. I know that checked luggage is available and there is a 50 pound weight limit per bag.

The Viewliner bedrooms are much more comfortable than the roomettes.

Awesome! Thank you so much pennyk! I have looked at EVERY YouTube video on the Viewliner bedrooms and knew it was going to be tight quarters for all four of us, but it is SUPER helpful to hear it from someone like yourself. Given that the only other option was to get two roomettes, we really didn't want to do that, it was pretty important for us to be able to be together in the same room, plus the roomettes looked pretty tiny anyway. :)

I was under the impression that we could check some baggage once we got to NYP, like the carseat or anything else we may not need to have access to while on the train, is that not the case? I had considered driving to Lorton and taking the Auto Train (and the car, with all our stuff! No worries of space!), but hubby vetoed that saying, "If we're driving to Virginia, might as well drive the whole way!" So that plan got shelved. LOL!
You may not have time in NYP to check your bags, especially coming home. I would check them in Albany, as was suggested. Though, I guess you don't want to check the car seats a day early since you will need them to get to the station. Hmm...maybe someone will have a better suggestion.

Ugh, these dang carseats have become the bane of my existence! LOL! Thanks to all for the info on checking baggage at various places, I'll have to investigate the options. Our layover for the trip down is about 2.5 hours, but the trip back layover is only 1.5 hours. That might be cutting it close. A friend had suggested shipping them down to FL beforehand, but yes, that doesn't fix how to get them the 2 hour drive to the departing station... Same dilemma with checking them a day early. We unfortunately don't have a second set, that would fix everything. *sigh*

We unfortunately don't have a second set, that would fix everything. *sigh*
Completely not train related, but that's one of the best moves my wife and I have made. Our "spare" car seat can go in my car if I'm taking the baby out, and it actually gets a good bit of use as a "second" carseat when my wife goes somewhere with a friend that also has a kid. It's much easier for us to just put the second carseat in at our house at our leisure, than have to worry about moving a friend's carseat from their car to ours when she arrives to pick them up.

The second carseat is nowhere near as nice as the primary one, but it gets the job done for occasional use.

Maybe consider renting car seats? I know you have to be careful doing this, but I just googled it and there seems to be a lot of interest in it. Here is one site that has locations in FL. Don't know if any are near where you're going. https://babysaway.com/

Please use a RedCap @ NYP to board your Train! They will take you down the escelator or elevator to board your Train ahead of the Thundering Hurd! A tip of $2 a Bag is a good Investment(you can do the carryons and baby seats/they'll do the heavy lifting!

Since you're in a Sleeper y'all qualify to use the Club Acela, let the desk know when you check in that you'd like a RedCap!
Can you elaborate a bit on these Red Caps? Do they apply for the Acela Express? This Friday I'm taking the Acela Express in NYP back home to WAS. I actually don't need any help with my single piece of luggage but I'm interested in the beating the herd onto the train part. Do you not still have to wait at the gate? How do they find you to board /how do I know where to go to board earlier? And how much earlier? I can't quite picture how the logistics for that works/ what exactly to do to.

If you're not able to check your bags in NYP before you leave, check with your sleeping car attendant when you board, and they may be able to help you get it checked en route. I wouldn't rely on this as a primary plan, but would use it as a backup plan if your train from ALB runs late.

Also, since you've got small kids you probably want to bring some snacks/cereal with you, especially if you've got picky eaters. I personally love the Dining Car food, but I'm not 5 or 2. The menu for kids is somewhat narrow, you can preview the whole menu here.

Thank you RyanS, AmtrakBlue and battalion51! You have all been so incredibly helpful and generous with your information and knowledge, it is truly appreciated. I tend to be a little OCD with travel planning and get stressed easily over things like transporting the carseats, etc. I'm trying extra hard to work out the kinks beforehand so we can all just relax and have a great time on the train! Yay!

I checked Wally World quickly this morning, and we could pick up a second set of booster/convertible seats for about $50-75, so not too terribly outrageous. I don't know if we really want to spend that for a couple of carseats that will probably just sit in storage after this trip.

I checked that rental site you linked, AmtrakBlue, I knew some areas rented them, but hadn't looked into that option. They do have a location about a half hour from where we are coming in, but I have to say that we could BUY another carseat for the price they are renting them for, and they don't seem to do booster seats for older kids at all. I will definitely have to keep that link around though, I can see where it would come in very handy, thanks for the info!

Oooo, good backup plan for checking with the car attendant if all else fails, much appreciated! Nice to know that might be an option if we need it. We are very lucky to have two girls that eat pretty much everything we give them, but I am going to bring along some snacks just in case. Nothing worse than a hungry, grouchy kiddo! :) I plan on some fruit, granola bars and maybe some string cheese, and whatever else I can find that will travel well.

Ahhh, I see, thank you the_traveler. I'm hoping to pack as little as possible since we will be visiting family and able to do laundry once we get to FL, but the carseats were perplexing me. I also don't want to schlep a huge suitcase, assorted carry ons, two carseats and two kiddos through NYP if I can avoid it. Sounds like the RedCap will be perfect!
When you get to NYP, you could check the huge suitcase. Also, if you have a box for either the booster seat and/or the car seat, they could also be checked. If you don't have a box, Amtrak counter does have boxes for sale. Just make sure that you put some kind of handle on or cut into the sides of the boxes.

Each passenger is allowed 2 checked bags, so you if you can box up the two seats, then as soon as you get to NYP, you can check them and then only have the kids and the carry-ons to carry about.

UPDATE: I just looked at the Lake Shore Limited schedule to NYP. The only problem with checking your bag in Albany like others have suggested, the only train leaving ALB with checked luggage is the Lake Shore Limited which gets into NYP after your train leaves, so your checked bags would be a day late getting to Florida. So definitely wait until you get to NYP to check the bags. When you get to NYP and have a red cap, let him know that you want to check some of your stuff and he can direct you or take you to the counter directly.

I've been lurking around the forums for a while, planning our first family trip on a train! I figured it was about time to join the conversation. :)

We are a family of 4, myself, DH, DD 5yo and DD almost 2 yo. I just booked our trip leaving from Albany, NY to Winter Haven, FL for July and we are all so excited! We have coach seats on on Empire Service from Albany to NYP, then we splurged for the bedroom on the Silver Meteor from NYP to Winter Haven.

Anyone have any recent experience with these routes? Do they tend to run on time? I am a little concerned about the 90 min layover at NYP on our trip down might be cutting it a little close if the Empire is running late.

Thanks for such a wonderful forum, I have learned much from the members generously sharing information and experiences. :)
To get an idea of the performance of the Florida trains, you can check out the Amtrak website homepage, and click on track a train. It will tell you whether the train you're interested in is on time or not, and it will show you its location. I like to use the Redcaps at Penn Station if for no other reason than they will take you down to the train early and get you and the kids settled without the hubbub and rush of the general boarding crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back