First timer, not impressed with Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us on here enjoy riding trains, but we need to be honest about the condition that first time riders are getting. Amtrak has some serious problems that aren't getting addressed. I don't care who is at fault, whether it be the politicians, the people running Amtrak, or the bogeyman. People on this forum are tired of the complaining because there are funding issues, but some of us are tired of folks backing up the clear problems with Amtrak. The food is better in my work cafeteria than on the train and my work cafeteria isn't very good. The service can be downright insulting (throws a paper at you... put your name and car number on the bottom and don't touch anything else attitude). Amtrak customer service is horrible. I can't stand the pre-written responses they provide whether it be positive or negative feedback. They also have no systematic approach as to what to offer for negative experiences and it can be insulting. The continual cut of amenities such as morning newspapers, flowers on the table, real dishes, parlor car (for at least 3 months of the year), sparkling cider, amenity pouch for showering is not a positive either. If you assume your hotels will have shampoo, why shouldn't the train?

I love the train because I was practically raised on it with my mom and dad. Back when I was young, the Coast Starlight used to have a clown or a magician on board in the coaches (remember that?). That was a lot of fun while being a little kid on a train. We also had a coast starlight mug that got unlimited coffee/cocoa refills during the trip; I doubt they have those anymore. I love the sound of the train passing over the railroad switches and the faint blowing of the horn while I sleep. I love waking up at dawn and watching the small towns waking up as we pass by. From what I remember in the early 1990's, the service used to be impeccable compared to today. If I didn't have the fun Amtrak childhood experiences as a kid ingrained in me, I'm not sure I'd want to travel by train. With all the cuts, at least we're lucky the views haven't changed. For the price, you need to provide better service and amenities. I'm sympathetic to what first time riders are reporting and I know exactly what they're talking about.

image.png

When you combine the steep prices and the lack of amenities and or service, you are not creating a favorable, lasting memory that you will want to repeat. I really wish they'd bring back a customer advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back