First time trip. Questions and plausibility?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connor

This would be my first trip and my plan is to travel on coach for the following trip over my thanksgiving break from college:

Spokane, WA to Chicago, IL

36 hr, 25 min

Chicago, IL to Sacramento, CA

50 hr, 13 min

Sacramento, CA to Spokane, WA

25 hr

In all I'd be gone for about a week. I'd have about 24 hours in Chicago to see the city or whatnot but the main point of this trip would be the ride. My question is if this would be enjoyable or would this just be torture? Also I was wondering about how much I can move around on the train (50h is a long time)? Finally any suggestion or things I need to consider?

Hi Connor - My only concern with a trip that long, all in coach and without longer breaks in the city, would be going stir crazy! I love the train but that is a long time to ride in coach without breaking up the trip more. Keep in mind that you don't have access to showers in coach...

When I was in college, I could probably deal with it, though. Now that I am in my 30s I find my capability for things like that is greatly diminished.

You can move around the train all you want, that's one of my favorite features of riding trains. The scenery is great and if you are not easily bored you'll be fine. At 64 I am no longer comfortable in coach for more than one or possibly two nights, but at your age and assuming you are in good physical condition (i.e. no pinched nerves in your neck like me) you should be able to stay reasonably comfortable.

As noted, there's no shower for coach passengers, but there are some large handicap-bathrooms that allow enough room to wash up pretty well. You might want to bring a towel... and a small pillow, possibly a blanket.

If you're a fairly social person, you'll have no trouble finding others to talk with endlessly. The cafe car, while usually closed after 11 or 12 for business, is always open and accessible and offers table seating for a change of posture, a place to read, write or play cards etc.

Let us know how your plan evolves... looks like a great route. There are lots of specific details to be found in other areas of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your California Zephyr is on time you will have 9 or so hours to spare in Sacramento. That will help break it up some. And you can move freely to the sightseer lounge as well. It is open all night. I'd be sure to bring towels and washrags as well. It isn't easy to clean up in the restrooms but can be done. Most of all, have fun! :) I live an hour from Spokane and the Spokane station is my "jumping - off" place for most of my Amtrak adventures. Thanksgiving break should give you great scenery all the way around .

Do it! You're young. Take clothing to stay warm, snacks, and some good reading material. Ditto for wash cloths and a towel to freshen up.

Just expect heavier passenger loads because of the holiday. Chicago Union Station will be very busy too.

After you finish you'll still feel yourself swaying back and forth for a few days.

Great idea for your break! Let me suggest that you consider Breaking Up your Trip in Chicago by Spending a Night @ the Hostel International Downtown on Congress and Wabash! (Google it up) For less than $35 a night you'll have Breakfast, a Shower, a Clean, Safe Place to Sleep, Luggage Storeage, Discount Tickets to Events and Places in Chicago, and Meet People from all over the World of all Ages, Ethnincitities etc.! They also have Private Rooms for about $65 a day but as a Colllege student I know money is tight! Best Hostel Ive stayed in in the US!

If you can afford it Id say check into getting a Roomette for at least One of the Two Night Legs! (Spokane-CHI/CHI-SAC)! The overnight segments are SPK If you use amsnag.net developed by one of our Members you can look up what it would cost for up to 30 days @ a time for up to 11 months in advance! Of course being a Holiday period the Train will be Full and High Bucket (top prices) but someone might cancel or No show and you could get lucky for one night! This would give you all Meals in the Diner, your own Room with a Bed, Shower, Coffee, Water and Juice and a Car Attendant! Worth it on Two Night Trip Segments for sure!

Thanks for all the feedback I'll definitely look into it more now! Maybe one of the nights I'll get a roomette and I'll definitely bring a washcloth and a change of cloths.

Do it! You will never regret it. At the end you may be tired, but you will probably also feel very relaxed. I did a coast to coast on my return from Nam. (November 1971, age 26). At the end felt like just described. The route was CZ from Oakland and George Washington/James Whitcomb Riles (route of the Cardinal) Domes on both, and I spent a lot of time there. Rode sleeper Denver to Chicago, the rest coach. Beautiful trip over the Sierra, snow on the mountains. Likewise beautiful across West Virginia. Somewhere I have lots of pictures. One of my retirement programs is to organize my pictures. Better live to about 90 in order to get through the things I want to do in retirement.

Aside from just wanting to take the train, after crossing the Pacific in one of those rejected-from-air-freight-service military charter 707's operated by a never-heard-of-them-before-and-hope-to-never-see-them-again airlines flown by a set of rejected-from-a-second-tier-airline pilots I felt I had used up all my flying luck for a long time to come. (We were a day leaving because the plane had been sent back to Manila for work after first landing in Saigon. They asked you your weigth as you boarded. Spent 8 hours in Japan with them working on an engine in what was supposed to be a one hour refueling stop. On takeoff the pilot announced, "We will attempt a non-stop flight to Travis Airforce Base, California.". All of which really inspired confidence in the passengers.) I had expected a fairly rowdy load of passengers, but everyone was on their best behavior for two reasons. Not sure which came first. The fear that you might do something that would result in you spending one more day or even one more hour in the army. Just plain fear that the plane would not make it. There is a noticable lack of landing points on the route between Japan and California.)

Also, on your layover in Sacramento, if you're into trains plan a visit to the California Sate Railroad Museum (CSRM). The CSRM is located in Old Sacramento - which is right next to the station - and many consider the CSRM as one of the best railroad museums in the country!

Also the California Zypher (CZ) is considered by many to be the most scenic route on Amtrak! Be sure to get a seat in the Sightseer Lounge car prior to the departure out of Denver, and plan to spend much of the day there. The climb out of Denver and the route the CZ follows is very scenic - and many areas and views are only accessible by train or a long hike. Many areas have no roads nearby!

Enjoy your trip!

Do it! You will never regret it. At the end you may be tired, but you will probably also feel very relaxed. I did a coast to coast on my return from Nam. (November 1971, age 26). At the end felt like just described. The route was CZ from Oakland and George Washington/James Whitcomb Riles (route of the Cardinal) Domes on both, and I spent a lot of time there. Rode sleeper Denver to Chicago, the rest coach. Beautiful trip over the Sierra, snow on the mountains. Likewise beautiful across West Virginia. Somewhere I have lots of pictures. One of my retirement programs is to organize my pictures. Better live to about 90 in order to get through the things I want to do in retirement.

Aside from just wanting to take the train, after crossing the Pacific in one of those rejected-from-air-freight-service military charter 707's operated by a never-heard-of-them-before-and-hope-to-never-see-them-again airlines flown by a set of rejected-from-a-second-tier-airline pilots I felt I had used up all my flying luck for a long time to come. (We were a day leaving because the plane had been sent back to Manila for work after first landing in Saigon. They asked you your weigth as you boarded. Spent 8 hours in Japan with them working on an engine in what was supposed to be a one hour refueling stop. On takeoff the pilot announced, "We will attempt a non-stop flight to Travis Airforce Base, California.". All of which really inspired confidence in the passengers.) I had expected a fairly rowdy load of passengers, but everyone was on their best behavior for two reasons. Not sure which came first. The fear that you might do something that would result in you spending one more day or even one more hour in the army. Just plain fear that the plane would not make it. There is a noticable lack of landing points on the route between Japan and California.)
Thank you for your service.

Well, with that flight experience you describe, I think we can see why YOU like trains!

I don't think you should do it until you have more time. Riding Long-Distance Trains around in Coach just for the ride dosen't seem good to me. If you really wanted to save money you could Go Greyhound.

Our first few trips ATL to NOL were in coach, and we were decades past college age! That's only an all-day trip (almost 12 hours) and we didn't have an overnight on the train, but we found it pleasant. The seats are much much roomier than airplane seats, and you can get up and walk to other cars. Later, we always got a sleeper but by then my hubby had mobility limitations.

You do have a looong trip planned, but I'd say consider the suggestions here, and if it still sounds good to you, go for it! Trains have a charm (for us, anyway) that no other form of transportation has. Do have realistic expectations, and just go with the flow. My hubby and I wanted to take the California Zephyr after I retired, but his health just wouldn't allow it. He recently passed away, and I'm hoping to make the trip sometime next year if all goes well.

Also, do eat in the diner at least a couple of times. It's just part of the train experience and the food's pretty good, at least on the Crescent. If you get that roomette, your meals in the diner for that portion of the trip are included in your fare. There is a lot of info--layout of cars, sample menus, etc.--on amtrak.com website. There is also a separate section with info for newbies here on AU. Best wishes for a fun trip! Let us know how it goes or if you have other questions.

I don't think you should do it until you have more time. Riding Long-Distance Trains around in Coach just for the ride dosen't seem good to me. If you really wanted to save money you could Go Greyhound.
Riding long distance in Amtrak coach anyday beats riding long distance on the Greyhound dog, especially when you consider the quality and cleanliness of buses, crowd and schedules outside the highly competitive Northeast and some Midwest routes. I don't know when did you last ride Amtrak in coach or what your problem is against coach travel, you seem to give this same advice on any newbies who mention traveling coach. My opinion about Greyhound and Amtrak is based on almost equal miles of travel on both under recent conditions, not from two decades back.

mad.gif

Swadian Hardcore said:
1351040989[/url]' post='401310']I don't think you should do it until you have more time. Riding Long-Distance Trains around in Coach just for the ride dosen't seem good to me. If you really wanted to save money you could Go Greyhound.
I agree with Texan Eagle fully!

I'm only guessing, but I think you may have been young once too. I too have ridden Greyhound and their like many times, and I would not recommend them for long distance travel. If you wanted to really advice the OP about saving time AND money, you would have advised the OP to FLY instead!
rolleyes.gif

But I for one thinks the US looks better at 15 feet than at 30,000 feet!
smile.gif

Although I didn't do it in coach, in the past 3 weeks I traveled coast to coast "just for the ride", and am glad I did! Besides, no matter your age, you don't know if tomorrow will come, or if it does that you can ride a train "just for the ride"!

Put me in a roomette on that itinerary and I'd be in heaven. ^_^ In coach....ah to be young again. I think that a cheap motel (motel 6, super 8, or something of that ilk) for a night in Chi or SAC would be a nice addition to the schedule just for a flat bed and a long hot shower. -_-

Spend as much time as you can in the observation car. You won't get a kink in your neck looking sideways. The coach cars are in the back and it's rough. The observation car is smoother. I've take an 18 hr all night ride three times now and as soon as my ticket gets checked I move to the Observation car. I even sleep there as others do also. It's as different as night and .....not much of a night. You can sack out on a couch after eleven. Be sure and take a blanket and pillow. Ear plugs are great! The train is NOISY!! And even blindfolds. A DVD player and some DVDs are great for after dark. BTW: I'm a 61 yr old lady.

Gonzaga? The EB leaves SPK at 1:30AM. My wife and I rode it each way in late May-early June. I also endorse the HI Hostel in Chicago. On the CZ route if you have the extra day I hope you would spend a night in Glenwood Springs Colorado. There are two nice old hotels next to the Colorado River within sight of the train station. The world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool is near one of the hotels.

The northbound Coast Starlight leaves Sacramento around midnight (sometimes late). You should be in the station by 10PM. They will for a fee hold your bag while you walk around Sacramento.

Hope that the CS is not too late to make the connection with the EB in PDX.

Agree with everything except riding the bus. If you ever have 15 days (or 30) you can do well buying a USA Rail Pass

I try to avoid riding in coach for 3 nights in a row..

I say to get a roomette for at least one night if you can afford it. Sometimes, something as simple as sleeping in a bed and taking a hot shower are enough to make me feel human again and gear me up for another couple of days with little rest.

That trip sounds like so much fun!

I have to disagree, I have ridden Grayhound cross country and would never do it again, you cannot get up and walk around the bus like you can on a train. You have little or no leg room and the seats are anything but comfortable.

I am taking a 44 day trip next spring with stop overs but going coach all the way. Cannot wait and looking forward to coach. Coach is the way to go when you want to see the country and do not want to drive and cannot afford sleepers.

I think taking a train trip for break is the best vacation and I wish you a great trip.

I am taking a 44 day trip next spring with stop overs but going coach all the way. Cannot wait and looking forward to coach. Coach is the way to go when you want to see the country and do not want to drive and cannot afford sleepers.
Great attitude! Looking forward to hearing about that spring trip...

This would be my first trip and my plan is to travel on coach for the following trip over my thanksgiving break from college:

Spokane, WA to Chicago, IL

36 hr, 25 min

Chicago, IL to Sacramento, CA

50 hr, 13 min

Sacramento, CA to Spokane, WA

25 hr

In all I'd be gone for about a week. I'd have about 24 hours in Chicago to see the city or whatnot but the main point of this trip would be the ride. My question is if this would be enjoyable or would this just be torture? Also I was wondering about how much I can move around on the train (50h is a long time)? Finally any suggestion or things I need to consider?
Seems like a good idea to me. If you hang out in the Sight Seer Lounge or take a meal in the diner (breakfast is relatively cheap) you will probably meet some interesting people.

I've met and talked to - Australian tourists - Amish families - paranoid folks who were afraid to fly because of Government conspiracies - drunken Williston oilfield workers - IT techies who knew more than I did about (techie stuff) - boat builders - normal people - lots of interesting travellers.

Nothing to sweat - the coach seats - even the Amtrak coach seats that are about 500% better than airplane coach seats (I just got back from Japan - the 4 inches of knee room on the flight - owie - owie) the coach seats (at least 20 inches wide and 30 degrees recline) get tiresome after a day but you can get up and walk around.

And - you get to see the backside of America. Even on the Hi-Line there are some places piles of trash that the locals have dumped on the right-of-way. Some inner city places you will see waste land. Really waste land

Check out the "Things to do in Chicago" thread.

Love all the rational and crazy people on the train.

[edit]

AND - the scenery through the Rockies and the coast ranges is totally amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back