First time traveller in Texas Eagle AUSTIN to SAN DIEGO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All:

I am a 1st time Amtrak traveler - starting from Austin, TX, destination San Diego.

I am traveling with family & kids. I got Family room and Roomette both.

I would appreciate your tips and suggestions for this trip. I would like to hear more on these -

1. Meals (will there be dinner served form AUstin to San Antonio)

2. Any concern with checked in luggage?

3. How timely Texas Eagle reaches LA? I need to take Pacific Surfliner to San Diego - so don't want to miss that train.

4. Which side I need to seat on Surfliner to sea the pacific? I heard the train stands in the station opposite to the direction to goes - correct or wrong?

5. any other suggestions?

I have small children and elderly in my group - any suggestions for them?

Thanks.

AustinTrainRider

Hi All:
I am a 1st time Amtrak traveler - starting from Austin, TX, destination San Diego.

I would appreciate your tips and suggestions for this trip. I would like to hear more on these -

3. How timely Texas Eagle reaches LA? I need to take Pacific Surfliner to San Diego - so don't want to miss that train.

4. Which side I need to seat on Surfliner to sea the pacific? I heard the train stands in the station opposite to the direction to goes - correct or wrong?

Thanks.

AustinTrainRider
1. Pretty sure I have read the dining car crew gets off in Austin so I do not think you will have dinner.

2. I would have no concerns with checked baggage. Even when I have had many train changes, they have never failed to get my luggage to arrive with me.

3. There are many departures of the Surfliner to San Diego every day, so even if you miss yours, they will be able to get you on the next one.

4. In the direction the Surfliner is going, you want to sit on the right side.

Hi All:

Thanks.

AustinTrainRider
First, welcome! :)

1. There will be no meal service (dinner), as the Dining Car staff gets on and off the Texas Eagle (TE) in Austin! (I'm not sure about the lounge attendant though.) The will be full meal service from San Antonio to LA.
  2. You can check your lugggage in Austin right to San Diego!
  3. It's hard to say, but don't forget that there are many Surfliners between LA and San Diego. So if you miss one, just take the next one!
  4. Sit on the right side of the train when facing the locomotive for thee Pacific Ocean side!
  5. Be sure to join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) - for everyone in the group - if your trip is within 90 days of travel! Otherwise the 500 point sign-up bonus is lost! And if your trip is within 90 days from now, there is a promotion that offers 1,500 points if you are referred by a member. If som I will be glad to refer you! (Just send me a PM - Private message.)

Hi All:

Thanks.

AustinTrainRider
Hi! I can't answer your questions about small children and checked luggage (we always travel with just a couple of carry ons), but I can answer some:

1. No meals between Austin and San Antonio, I'm afraid -- in fact, the dinner service that afternoon is ridiculously early, since the dining-car crew detrains at Austin, for some reason I've never understood. You'll have a new-to-you crew from San Antonio to Los Angeles (they're the Sunset Limited crew). If you're booked on the 421/422 trains, you'll simply stay in your sleeper cars for the night you're parked in the San Antonio yards, and then get going westward while you're still asleep early the next morning.

3. The two times we've taken the Eagle to Los Angeles and then on to San Diego (our younger son lives there, so we visit a couple of times a year), we've been a bit early, even. (To the point that we changed our Surfliner tickets to an earlier train once we got into the LA station.)

4. The Surfliner goes to San Diego behind the engine, then comes back to LA in front of it! So you'd want to sit on the right side of the train in the direction of travel, going to SAN. (Lord, I hope I got that right -- I'm forever getting left and right mixed up ....)

We're "elderly" ourselves, and I have some mobility problems, so we always grab a Red Cap in LAX, who ferries us into the station and then comes and gets us when it's time for our Surfliner connection. And we sit downstairs in business class on the Surfliner, so if any of your elderly are the same, those are things you might remember.

Have fun -- it's a great trip!

Hi All:

can't answer

can't answer
If the ticket is written by Amtrak dont wory about the connection. Besides there are a number of surfliners to San Diego
Not sure what you mean by this. But the train leaves the station in one direction you want to sit on your right as you face the direction of travel. If you look carefully you will also see Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland" on your right.

Thanks.

AustinTrainRider
Have Fun, Don't worry, Be Happy.

Aloha

I'll address what I believe I can and leave the other matters to other posters -

1) Unless it has changed, the dining car staff on the Texas Eagle works CHI-Austin only. They will have the diner closed down and cleaned up before you get on the train. I believe the lounge car is open selling sandwiches of the microwavable variety and snacks beyond Austin but to be safe, I would eat supper before catching the train.

1A) Beyond San Antonio you'll have the dining car which originated in New Orleans on the Sunset Limited. That's a plus because some of the best chef's on Amtrak work out of New Orleans. You might wind up with better than usual meals.

2) Not sure if the Surfliners accept checked luggage.....you may only be able to check your bags to LAX. Also be aware that you will not have access to your checked luggage for the two nights you are on the train.

3) Timekeeping is hit and miss BUT there are numerous Surfliners departing LAX throughout the day. If you miss your first option you should be able to get a later one.

4) Facing forward, you want to be on the RIGHT hand side of the Surfliner if you want to be on the ocean side. The Surfliners will pull away from LAX such that the side of the train furthest from the station will be the right side once the train reaches the ocean.

5) What are the room number(s) on your Roomettes? Rooms 11, 12, 13, and 14 are downstairs just outside the Family Bedroom (#15). It would be really nice if your rooms are right in the same area. ALSO - the restrooms and shower in the superliner sleepers are downstairs. With elderly and children in your party, it will be a convienence not having to navigate the stairs each time someone is going to the restroom.

Have a great trip......and come back to tell us how it went when you return.

Last edited by a moderator:
2) Not sure if the Surfliners accept checked luggage.....you may only be able to check your bags to LAX. Also be aware that you will not have access to your checked luggage for the two nights you are on the train.
The Surfliners have checked baggage.

How 'bout that -- four detailed answers (and The Traveler's ubiquitous AGR pitch) in two minutes!
Hi Sue,

Watch much basketball?
N.E. -- A lot, the closer it gets to March! (And particularly if my beloved Texas Longhorns are playing well). We're Kentuckians only by chance: This was the last place my husband was transferred to, and we liked it well enough to retire here.

If you desire is to sit on the ocean side between LA and San Diego, be warned: Due to the peculiarity of the Los Angeles station layout, the train starts out aimed away from San Diego.

Los Angeles is a stub in station, so all trains enter/leave more or less from/to the north. The San Diego trains go out aimed mor or less north, then make a U-turn to the right to aim south. Therefore, you should try for a seat on the side away from the Los Angeles station building. If after making the U-turn, you spend the first few miles with the concrete channel of the Los Angeles rive on the side of the train opposite you, you are OK.

There has been a plan for a soutn end connection into LAUS around for quite a few years, but so far, no money to build it. If built, it should save the San Diego trains somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

Hi All:

Thanks.

AustinTrainRider
Each Surfliner car has two sets four-seat sections in the middle--two seats facing each other on each side of the aisle--that are reserved for groups of 3 or more. You may want to grab those for your group. Then you will have guranteed views out of both sides of the train.

Surfliners run almost every hour during the day between LA and SD, so don't worry about connections. Since the trains are unreserved, you can use your tickets on any Surfliner.

Most Surfliner trains these days have one Superliner coach attached to them to handle the overall shortage of cars. You can tell from the outside of your train very quickly if it has a Superliner coach. If so, grab seats in there; they are far more comfortable than the Surfliners, since they are meant for long-distance travel. But on the Surfliner, you cannot enter or exit from a Supercoach. You must board through the doors of a Surfliner car and then walk to the Superliner coach on the upper level.

The ocean views occur twice on the Surfliner. About 5 minutes after you leave San Juan Capistrano (about 90 minutes after leaving LA), the Pacific will loom on your right, and the tracks will run along the water for about 15 minutes. Then you will enter the Camp Pendleton Marine base and the ocean will be about a half-mile off to the right. The second good chance for viewing is right after the train leaves the Solana Beach station. It will run on top of cliffs overlooking the Pacific for about 7 minutes.

And that's it for the ocean.

The rest of the time you will be viewing the depressing industrial areas of Los Angeles, the houses of too many suburbs to mention here, and downtown San Diego. About 3 minutes before arriving in San Diego, look to your right and you'll be staring right down the runway of San Diego International Airport (Lindbergh Field), about 100 yards away! You might even have a plane landing above you some 150 feet!

Enjoy the ride!

As of two days ago there is still no dining car service between Austin and San Antonio. Maybe you could ask them why the crew is based on Austin since none of us seem to know. You'd think they'd be moved to San Antonio to cover the prime breakfast and dinner periods that take place on that portion of the run. Never leave a pax from San Antonio without meal service! There *are* active lounge cars in both directions that serve prepackaged microwavable sandwiches, salty snacks, juices, sodas (pepsi stuff) and alcohol. Frankly I would agree with those who suggest eating in Austin first since you'll be consuming plenty of generic railroad food until you reach your destination. Don't get me wrong, it's better than food I've had on commercial flights, but Austin has plenty of options that would be far more tasty and nutritious.

Each Surfliner car has two sets four-seat sections in the middle--two seats facing each other on each side of the aisle--that are reserved for groups of 3 or more. You may want to grab those for your group. Then you will have guranteed views out of both sides of the train.
Surfliners run almost every hour during the day between LA and SD, so don't worry about connections. Since the trains are unreserved, you can use your tickets on any Surfliner.

Most Surfliner trains these days have one Superliner coach attached to them to handle the overall shortage of cars. You can tell from the outside of your train very quickly if it has a Superliner coach. If so, grab seats in there; they are far more comfortable than the Surfliners, since they are meant for long-distance travel. But on the Surfliner, you cannot enter or exit from a Supercoach. You must board through the doors of a Surfliner car and then walk to the Superliner coach on the upper level.

The ocean views occur twice on the Surfliner. About 5 minutes after you leave San Juan Capistrano (about 90 minutes after leaving LA), the Pacific will loom on your right, and the tracks will run along the water for about 15 minutes. Then you will enter the Camp Pendleton Marine base and the ocean will be about a half-mile off to the right. The second good chance for viewing is right after the train leaves the Solana Beach station. It will run on top of cliffs overlooking the Pacific for about 7 minutes.

The rest of the time you will be viewing the depressing industrial areas of Los Angeles, the houses of too many suburbs to mention here, and downtown San Diego. About 3 minutes before arriving in San Diego, look to your right and you'll be staring right down the runway of San Diego International Airport (Lindbergh Field), about 100 yards away! You might even have a plane landing above you some 150 feet!

Enjoy the ride!
Tell LAX to take 6800 back. It came from BG and it's been sitting in CHI for a few days.

As of two days ago there is still no dining car service between Austin and San Antonio. Maybe you could ask them why the crew is based on Austin since none of us seem to know. You'd think they'd be moved to San Antonio to cover the prime breakfast and dinner periods that take place on that portion of the run. Never leave a pax from San Antonio without meal service! There *are* active lounge cars in both directions that serve prepackaged microwavable sandwiches, salty snacks, juices, sodas (pepsi stuff) and alcohol. Frankly I would agree with those who suggest eating in Austin first since you'll be consuming plenty of generic railroad food until you reach your destination. Don't get me wrong, it's better than food I've had on commercial flights, but Austin has plenty of options that would be far more tasty and nutritious.
Greetings from Austin and Welcome to our world! :) The reason the diner crew gets off in Austin is that Amtrak doesnt want to pay them for the ride to SAS, hence no pay, no work! The engineers also change out here,I havent figured this one out since the conductors work SAS-FTW, why not the engineers also? :blink: The Northbound #22 does serve sleeping car pax a boxed "breakfast" that's not anything to write home about but costs Amtrak like $10 based on what OBS have told me! :eek: The poster that mentioned Austin food is correct, but there is nothing around the station, and the food downtown is pricey and trendy or fast food! Suggest you take food to go with you going to/from SAS-AUS when riding, SAS is the same as Austin when it comes to food, nothing around the station except a Dennys and the pricey tourist joints on the Riverwalk! I live in Austin and ride this train 20-25 times a year, if you would like to ask any questions please PM (personal message)me, glad to help,make suggestions! :D (some of my answers might even be true! :lol:

Well, 2 blocks from the Austin Amtrak station is the flagship store of Wholefoods which has many eat-in oppourtunites. True, lots of it is pricey but not at all. Last week, e.g., I got the standard 2 slices of pizza for $5; they also have good tacos 2/$5. There are several eateries a short walk down 5th street, like the big taco place that is not expensive. Across 6th St. from WF is the Counter Cafe which is a small Austin version of a traditional diner. Personally, on my several 9am northbound trips from Austin I would buy a sandwich to go in WF for about $6 and have it for lunch.

I agree the food situation around the San Antonio station is pretty dismal even though it is near the center of town. Even for the long layovers unless you know where you are going, you're pretty much stuck with Denny's or Macdonalds.

Enjoy the ride!
Tell LAX to take 6800 back. It came from BG and it's been sitting in CHI for a few days.
Don't understand

How 'bout that -- four detailed answers (and The Traveler's ubiquitous AGR pitch) in two minutes!
Hi Sue,

Watch much basketball?
N.E. -- A lot, the closer it gets to March! (And particularly if my beloved Texas Longhorns are playing well). We're Kentuckians only by chance: This was the last place my husband was transferred to, and we liked it well enough to retire here.
I spent a couple of elementary grade school years living in Kentucky while my dad was a graduate student at UK. It's been my experience that Kentuckians are pretty much divided in two groups - those who really like basketball and then the minority that just more-or-less puts up with it from October till early April!

The engineers also change out here,I havent figured this one out since the conductors work SAS-FTW, why not the engineers also? :blink:
If the engineers work less than 8 hours IIRC, then Amtrak needs only one in the cab. Otherwise they need two in the cab. I guess that Amtrak figures that it costs them less money to have only one in the cab and to swap them out early.

Don't understand
Ah, sorry. Pacific Business Class car #6800 has been sitting in the Chicago yard for a few days. I believe it came from the repair/overhaul facilities at Beech Grove, and I believe it is supposed to go back to Southern California.

If it sits here, it may well end up on one of the Michigan trains. That, of course, wouldn't make any sense given the car's status, but a few weeks ago there was an Amfleet I business class car running on the Hiawatha. :p

Thank you all very very much - I was surprised to see so many responses.

I will try to follow your tips and suggestions - I really think it will be a wonderful trip !!

With all the best wishes.

Thank you all very very much - I was surprised to see so many responses.I will try to follow your tips and suggestions - I really think it will be a wonderful trip !!

With all the best wishes.
Aloha

You never said when, Some of us may be in the area when you are.

Hi All:

Thanks.

AustinTrainRider
Welcome to the board!

A few suggestions-Don't check anything you will need or that is breakable. Each passenger can take 2 carry on bags, so do an overnight bag for each of you with your essentials. On the TE, they can be stored a few steps from the family bedroom in the luggage rack. Surfliners also allow carry-on bags. Carry-on baggage is limited to 28" x 22" x 11" on Pacific Surfliner trains. On the Texas Eagle, they can be slightly larger, 28" x 22" x 14". Each passenger is also allowed 3 checked bags-36" x 36" x 36", up 50 lbs each-all at no charge.

You may want to bring a laptop & dvds & headphones, or some games/toys or cards in case the kids get bored.

Have a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back