First time traveller in Texas Eagle AUSTIN to SAN DIEGO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the board!A few suggestions-Don't check anything you will need or that is breakable. Each passenger can take 2 carry on bags, so do an overnight bag for each of you with your essentials. On the TE, they can be stored a few steps from the family bedroom in the luggage rack. Surfliners also allow carry-on bags. Carry-on baggage is limited to 28" x 22" x 11" on Pacific Surfliner trains. On the Texas Eagle, they can be slightly larger, 28" x 22" x 14". Each passenger is also allowed 3 checked bags-36" x 36" x 36", up 50 lbs each-all at no charge.

You may want to bring a laptop & dvds & headphones, or some games/toys or cards in case the kids get bored.

Have a great time!
I've found that, at least on the Eastern trains, sleeping car pax can check anything reasonably sized (as in, smaller than a bicycle) and no one will say a thing. As for the 3 checked bags, I've checked above that and not paid extra, other than the tip :) . In terms of carry-ons, I've found the rule to be "if you can fit it in your room, feel free to bring it".

A few suggestions-Don't check anything you will need or that is breakable. Each passenger can take 2 carry on bags, so do an overnight bag for each of you with your essentials. On the TE, they can be stored a few steps from the family bedroom in the luggage rack. Surfliners also allow carry-on bags. Carry-on baggage is limited to 28" x 22" x 11" on Pacific Surfliner trains. On the Texas Eagle, they can be slightly larger, 28" x 22" x 14". Each passenger is also allowed 3 checked bags-36" x 36" x 36", up 50 lbs each-all at no charge. You may want to bring a laptop & dvds & headphones, or some games/toys or cards in case the kids get bored.

Have a great time!
Don't know about the Surfliners, but as a semi frequent user of the Amtrak California service down the valley, the main rule on baggage size and weight seems to be, if you can get it on the train by yourself or with the help of your traveling companions and can get it in some form or fashion into the end of car luggage racks, you can take it.

A few suggestions-Don't check anything you will need or that is breakable. Each passenger can take 2 carry on bags, so do an overnight bag for each of you with your essentials. On the TE, they can be stored a few steps from the family bedroom in the luggage rack. Surfliners also allow carry-on bags. Carry-on baggage is limited to 28" x 22" x 11" on Pacific Surfliner trains. On the Texas Eagle, they can be slightly larger, 28" x 22" x 14". Each passenger is also allowed 3 checked bags-36" x 36" x 36", up 50 lbs each-all at no charge. You may want to bring a laptop & dvds & headphones, or some games/toys or cards in case the kids get bored.

Have a great time!
Don't know about the Surfliners, but as a semi frequent user of the Amtrak California service down the valley, the main rule on baggage size and weight seems to be, if you can get it on the train by yourself or with the help of your traveling companions and can get it in some form or fashion into the end of car luggage racks, you can take it.
I know that there is a lot of leeway given towards bags, bag sizes etc. Just listing the 'official policy'. We took 4 large carry-on bags, a laptop bag, a small cooler & a purse & had no problems boarding the sleepers. On the return we included a backpack to the list to carry-on. They seem to be more particular about the weight of the checked bags.

Greetings from Austin and Welcome to our world! :)
Thanks, nice to be here!

The reason the diner crew gets off in Austin is that Amtrak doesnt want to pay them for the ride to SAS, hence no pay, no work!
Ahh, well I guess that explains it. I heard pax asking about diner service, but I guess they only get what Amtrak is willing to provide. Seems like a missed opportunity on the surface. In my case the trip was short enough that I didn't really care either way. I ended up getting a cup of coffee and a muffin at the Central Market after arriving in AUS and then ate a homemade dinner before boarding on the way back.

The poster that mentioned Austin food is correct, but there is nothing around the station, and the food downtown is pricey and trendy or fast food!
To someone in San Antonio, Austin's downtown food selection seems incredible!

SAS is the same as Austin when it comes to food, nothing around the station except a Dennys and the pricey tourist joints on the Riverwalk!
Well, there's always Spaghetti Warehouse a block or two away!

Since the trains in SAS call in the middle of the night so to speak, and the Austin ones are 9AM and 7PMish, I really was just pointing out that theres not much around the stations, BTW is the Pasta joint open @ 11PM or 4AM,hence the Dennys reference? Im not saying Austin or San Antonio dont have great food joints, they do, they are just not around the train stations, and also "Whole PayCheck" is a great name for Whole Foods, a place run by a an old Hippie that became a billionaire and is the most anti-union person in America this side of WalMarts slave masters! :angry: I dont spend money @ Wal-Mart or Whole Foods or any other place that doesnt cut their employees in on the riches they make possible! ;)

The diner situation should change once the daily train from CHI-LAX starts, yesterday my friends in the food service crew while we were waiting for #22 told me that they are training/hiring new food service and other OBS for this route and the latest scuttlebut around the route is crew changes will come in FTW or SAS for the OBS on this route! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all very very much - I was surprised to see so many responses.I will try to follow your tips and suggestions - I really think it will be a wonderful trip !!

With all the best wishes.
As to baggage, just remember that everything you carry on board a Surfliner has to be hauled up the stairs to the second level. There is NO baggage storage on the ground level unless it is a bicycle or wheelchair.

The diner situation should change once the daily train from CHI-LAX starts, yesterday my friends in the food service crew while we were waiting for #22 told me that they are training/hiring new food service and other OBS for this route and the latest scuttlebut around the route is crew changes will come in FTW or SAS for the OBS on this route! :unsure:
From what I understand, it still hasn't been decided whether the CHI-LAX Eagle will have "normal" dining cars or CCCs. Some of the CCCs will apparently be restored to traditional table seating. I'm not sure if there will be enough diners for the daily service, especially with the Cap Ltd situation.

It would make sense for the crew change to be extended a little further south (or southwest) given that the train may well use two engines. Nice segway into my next topic: Although it's premature, what do people expect the consist to look like? (Starting trouble, I know.) My guess (which is just that—a guess) is:

P42 (or P40—I don't have any idea as to where Amtrak plans to use the P40s)

P42 (or P40)

Heritage Baggage (if available, which they may not be)

Trans-Dorm

Sleeper

Sleeper

C.C.C.

Lounge

Coach (or Coach/Bag if baggage cars aren't available)

Coach

Coach

In other words, I'd imagine the train looking much like the Cap, Zephyr and Chief.

As for the SAS-NOL Sunset (or whatever it's called), I'd guess:

P42 or P40

Coach/Bag

Coach

Coach

Coach (I don't know if a fourth coach will be needed)

C.C.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was meal service all the way to Fort Worth until October 28, 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back