First time to US, first time on Amtrak trains! :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some years ago when I noticed the cost of already-purchased fare had dropped by more than US$100, I called, got an agent and said something like "I think I somehow goofed up something when paying $XYZ for this ticket - it's actually $100 less.". She said she'd look, came back with something like "By golly, you're right! I'll just credit the difference to your card - OK?" I said "OK, thank you." and got a refund. Maybe I got an agent that was unfamiliar with what the procedure should have been because I tried the same thing on another fare reduction a few months ago and was told the penalty was more than the reduction.
The policy changed.

It seems to me that you are much more fond of your rail system than we are.
It isn't much, but if we don't love it, someone will take it away from us.

Too bad I discovered that the train I was referring to was not either the Carolinian nor the Crescent, but the Sunset Limited.
I hope you have the correct information as the Sunset Limited runs from Chicago, Illinois to Los Angeles, California via San Antonio, Texas.

But it looks like you have chosen the Carolinian. I would perhaps argue that this would be a more difficult train to socialize in. It can be a very crowded train, and there is no dining car. The lounge is a cafe car, where microwaved sandwiches and sodas are available for purchase. The windows aren't any bigger than in coach, and there are tables to sit at, but rarely do people join strangers at a table in the cafe/lounge car.

On the other hand, trains like the Crescent have a dining car. To accommodate all the passengers, the crew will try their best to optimize service by placing complete strangers together to make a table of 4 full.

I still think that the Carolinian is a better choice than the Crescent, but perhaps if you have an opportunity to experience both, try one in one direction and the other on the return.

As far as your baggage goes, in New York City at Penn Station, I would perhaps suggest that you hire a "Red Cap". These are employees who will help you with your bags down to the train, even allowing you to board ahead of the crowd. They work for tips (gratuities) so I would suggest that you offer a $5 bill upon arrival at the train.

Speaking of tipping, allow me to give you some advise on our tradition. Most service industries (ie: restaurants, hotel bell-hops, valet parking, etc) pay their employees below minimum wage, with the majority of their earnings being provided by the guest in a cash gratuity, or tip. Amtrak employees are paid VERY well, however, they work a very grueling schedule. Though tipping is never required, a dollar or two at the cafe car, 15-20% of your meal cost in the diner, $2-3 per bag for a Red Cap, $5 per night in a sleeper car, etc., would be appropriate. Always tip AFTER the service, based on your perception of the value received. Never tip with coins.

As far as riding Amtrak itself, prepare for poor schedule keeping, poor service, rude or unknowledgeable employees, and lack of communication. If you expect that, then you should hope have a decent to perfect trip. Amtrak is not horrible. Hey - that's why we're all here - it's because we love it. But there are a few bad employees, sometimes the train gets delayed, sometimes there are missed connections. They will take care of you, but if something wrong happens, it won't be handled quickly.

Welcome to the US! Hope your time here is enjoyable. Hope the train riding is better!

Too bad I discovered that the train I was referring to was not either the Carolinian nor the Crescent, but the Sunset Limited.
I hope you have the correct information as the Sunset Limited runs from Chicago, Illinois to Los Angeles, California via San Antonio, Texas.
A correction. The Sunset Limited runs from New Orleans, Louisiana to Los Angeles, California. It is the Texas Eagle that runs from Chicago. Both combine in San Antonio.

A correction. The Sunset Limited runs from New Orleans, Louisiana to Los Angeles, California. It is the Texas Eagle that runs from Chicago. Both combine in San Antonio.

Thank you again for the suggestions! :)

I have just skyped to the boss I will be working with who tried to speak me out of taking trains in the US, saying that I am too well-accostumed to Italian ones! O.O He kind of scared me!

You'll have fun. The Carolinian is an easy trip. It's a typical Northeastern day train. We envy the level of investment in European systems, but the Carolinian will serve faithfully. All the Europeans who ride these trains seem reasonably impressed. Roll on.

One VERY minor correction: The Meade Monument (pyramid) is a couple miles SOUTH of Fredericksburg, VA, not north of the town. It was built to mark the deepest penetration of Federal troops at the Battle of Fredericksburg in December, 1862. It was intended as a tribute to the Confederate troops who stopped the advance of General Meade's U.S. Federal troops, and was never intended to be a tribute to General Meade.

This may or may not be of great interest to a visitor from Italy, but there are Americans who take it very seriously.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back