First time to US, first time on Amtrak trains! :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DjGabriro

Hello guys!!

Being an Italian student who uses trains everyday since years ago and a lover of wandering around Europe on trains, I am no stranger to the beautiful experiences one could live on them! :)

I will be travelling through the US in July and August, landing in New York and headed to Winston-Salem, NC. Amtrak website is AMAZING. I speak as an user of a pretty shabby train system which is the Italian one, and thus it must be said that those of Amtrak made a great job in constructing their website. Despite this, there are a lot of stuff I still do not get after hours planning my trip. I apologize in advance for every useless or idiotic question! :)

1) The baggage. This must have become a cliché, yet I must ask somebody for help! I will be travelling with quite a big bag (for a 40 days stay) and a small rucksack. I got the checked-in system fine, but: what happens if the departure station HAS the check-in baggage system but the arrival station DOES NOT? I am referring to New York Penn Station --> High Point, NC. What should a traveler with bags do? Step off in Greensboro (which has check-in service for bags) and step onto the same train again keeping the bag beside my seat for the last 10-minutes segment until High Point? Or do they unload the bags and make you collect them only after the train has already left again?

2) I would LOVE to travel on a train which has a sightseeing wagon and one where one could chat with other passengers, sort of lounge-stile, since it will be the very first contact with you TRUE Americans that I would make in my life :) . I got that two trains run from NY to Greensboro: the Crescent and the Carolinian, but only the first one has panoramic and lounge wagons, while the second one is slower, more like a commuter train without so much space for stretching or common areas during a 11-hours trip. Is it correct?

3) The Crescent train which leaves from NY at 2:15pm arrives at Greensboro at 12:15AM of the next day. Does this mean that it arrives a quarter past midnight (so, 00:15am)? If so, what can I do in order to avoid staying around a train station all night in a foreign continent for the first time? Is there any sort of waiting room at Amtrak stations? (in Italy, some stations offer lounges or at least secure places where to linger while waiting for coincidences with other trains) Have you got any suggestions, maybe avoiding spending a night at a Hotel just for a 5-6 hours sleep?

4) I found out that there are really strange price differences among trains, fares and days. Train tickets for next weeks could be cheaper than tickets month in advance and never i have found "Saver" fare options. Trying the overnight travel in order to save hotel money, I was also shocked to see that a roomette costs more than a 5-star hotel room! (>500 bucks sometimes!! O.O) Do you have any suggestion as to how much in advance to buy the tickets?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions! :)

Hope to meet you somewhere, sometime!!

Gabriele from Italy

Hello Gabriele!

One of the biggest obstacles you'll find to traveling in the US is our insistence on using a 12 hour clock with am and pm added on for printed schedules - instead of the highly rational 24 hour clock used by the US military and most other places in the world. The Crescent gets to Greensboro NC at 12:15am which translates to 0015hrs - 15 minutes past midnight. But as far as baggage, if your destinations is High Point NC I'm sure they just put your baggage on the platform when the train gets there at 0039hrs. The little suitcase symbol on the Amtrak timetables for "Checked Baggage..." should probably read "Checking In Baggage..." .

This is a good website to get information about the stations in North Carolina: http://www.ncbytrain.org/destinations/ There's probably a forum member who lives there who can give you more information.

As far as ticket prices are concerned, I recommend getting one as soon as possible after your departure date is firm. Then, the only way to save money after doing that is to keep checking every few days and when you see the cost has gone down, cancel it, take the US$50 cancellation fee and buy a replacement ticket at the lower price. There is, I'm convinced, absolutely no way to predict what the cost of the ticket will do as you get closer to the travel date. It can stay the same. It can increase. It can decrease. And I've never found a way of determining a way of predicting it.

As far as costs for sleeping rooms, don't forget that meals are included when you get one.

I'm sure others will post comments with additional information - and hopefully correcting any misinformation I may have given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Gabriele!

One of the biggest obstacles you'll find to traveling in the US is our insistence on using a 12 hour clock with am and pm added on for printed schedules - instead of the highly rational 24 hour clock used by the US military and most other places in the world. So the Crescent gets to Greensboro NC at 12:15am which translates to 0015hrs - 15 minutes past midnight. but as far as baggage, if your destinations is High Point NC, I'm sure they just put your baggage on the platform when the train gets there at 0039hrs. The little suitacase symbol on the Amtrak timetables for "Checked Baggage..." should probably read "Checking In Baggage..." .

This is a good website to get information about the stations in North Carolina: http://www.ncbytrain.org/destinations/ There's probably a forum member who lives there who can give you more information.

As far as ticket prices are concerned, I recommend getting one as soon as possible after your departure date is firm. Then, the only way to save money after doing that is to keep checking every few days and when you see the cost has gone down, cancel it, take the US$50 cancellation fee and buy a replacement ticket at the lower price. There is, I'm convinced, absolutely no way to predict what the cost of the ticket will do as you get closer to the travel date. It can stay the same. It can increase. It can decrease. And I've never found a way of determining a way of predicting it.

As far as costs for sleeping rooms, don't forget that meals are included when you get one.

I'm sure others will post comments with additional information - and hopefully correcting any misinformation I may have given.
They will not take the bags off the baggage car at a station that does not have checked baggage.

Rather than cancel a ticket, especially for a room, ask to have the reservation modified with the new lower cost. Canceling could cause you to lose the room/seat as there may not be any rooms/seats available and as soon as they cancel/release your room/seat, it could be snatched up by someone else.

They will not take the bags off the baggage car at a station that does not have checked baggage.

Rather than cancel a ticket, especially for a room, ask to have the reservation modified with the new lower cost. Canceling could cause you to lose the room/seat as there may not be any rooms/seats available and as soon as they cancel/release your room/seat, it could be snatched up by someone else.
Thanks for chiming it with the corrections, but is there a place for a really large "carry-on bag" that could be dragged off the train by the customer? Or is that not possible due to the types of cars (wagons) used on the Crescent?

In order to check baggage, BOTH your origination and destination stations must offer it. Othwise, there is no one to handle the baggage.

If you are in coach, there is a large open (not closed like on planes) luggage rack above your seat and an area at the end of the car to place your bag(s). If in a roomette on the Crescent, there is an area in the room above the hallway to place you bag. If you are traveling alone, you can also place your bag on the upper (unused) berth (bed).

How big is "really large"?

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565003

Carry-on baggage size limits - 28" (711.2 mm) x 22" (558.8 mm) x 14" (355.6) each - limit 2.

Plus:

Personal Items

Small items needed for the duration of the trip may be carried on the train and will not count toward the carry-on baggage limit.

Required medical devices and medication

Pillows, blankets and outer garments

Coolers, purses or small bags no larger than 12” x 12” x 12”

Small electronic devices with protective cases

Traveler is correct about baggage storage. I have traveled on both single level and double-level Amtrak trains, and I have never chacked any bags. I board at a station where there is no checked baggage. Due to the length of the platform, only the coach/sleeper car that is being loaded will fit on the platform. they "spot" the train (stop at the exact spot needed for the door to be on the platform) for each car to load, and the baggage car is never next to the platform at all during the stop.

We have never had any trouble storing a large roller bag in the luggage storage area as you enter the car. I pull a 22" roller bag, my husband a 28" (large) roller bag. I've seen other people with very huge bags, larger then the official size limits. If the train is very crowded, the car attendant or conductor may rearrange the bags and help get them properly stowed. Your small rucksack will easily fit on the rack above your head. Even my 22" roller bag will fit up there.

Look for the cheapest travel days and routes on http://amsnag.net/. I am sorry, I have no suggestions for what to do when the train arrives in the middle of the night. Perhaps someone more local, or more familiar with the train schedules will have a suggestion. Have you looked at tripadvisor.com for less expensive lodging? You can also locate the train station on google maps, and zoom in to see lodgings in the station area that may not have been reviewed on tripadvisor.

I think you will find your fellow train passengers to be way more sociable than airplane passengers. It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned, just let us know hpw everything turns out, and if you have any more questions.

Hello!

About baggage: 2 carry-on bags per person, up to 28'' by 22'' by 14'' in size. (71cm by 56cm by 35.5 cm) bags, which is pretty big! Checked baggage is up to 4 per person, 2 free, then and additional 2 for $20 each. Checked baggage only goes from a checked baggage station to checked baggage station, so NYP to HPT would not work. Getting off in Greensboro, getting the baggage, then having it as carry on will NOT work. Measure your bag, and see if it fits the limit. It probably will. You could bring 2 smaller bags if needed.

About different trains: You are correct on Crescent vs Carolinian, mostly.

Crescent is a long distance train from New York to New Orleans (both of which aren't very new), and have a lounge and dining car to socialize.

Carolinian is DEFINITELY NOT A COMMUTER train, though it is a day train that doesn't travel overnight. It still does have lounge, but it is smaller. Your option.

Greensboro station is technically open 24 hrs, but I have no idea what kind of people hang out there during the night. I, personally, would choose the Carolinian, for convenience, and there is a shuttle that catches 76 & 79 to Winston-Salem at High Point.

Overall, though meeting people might be difficult, Carolinian is probably the better option.

About prices: Yes, amtrak seems to have an advanced M.I.T. robot that acts like train travel is a stock market or something. Amsnag is cool for cheap prices, as people before have said.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

BTW you can look around this forum to do more research on trains.

Hello again!

You people are fantastic. Never in my life I had such a welcoming and helping answer in transportation-related forums in Europe. It seems to me that you are much more fond of your rail system than we are. Thank you very much for the explanations! :)

It seems now much clearer to me that it is easier if I simply step on the train with the luggage, which would not be that big, actually. At least, I will ask somebody at Penn station, just in case. Regarding the arrival time at Greensboro, I think I will opt for the Carolinian, which arrives during early evening, though slower; much less trouble.

Too bad I discovered that the train I was referring to was not either the Carolinian nor the Crescent, but the Sunset Limited. For me it is rather strange that each direction is served by a different model of train. Does anybody has any particular suggestion to give me about which train to prefer between the Carolinian and the Crescent? (I would now stick on the Carolinian which is cheaper and it does not arrives at midnight).

Thanks for chiming it with the corrections, but is there a place for a really large "carry-on bag" that could be dragged off the train by the customer? Or is that not possible due to the types of cars (wagons) used on the Crescent?
To add to the other replies, YES, there is plenty of space for large carry-on bags. People take their suitcases on the train all the time and stack them in the luggage tower or in the corner of coach car. Many first time US travelers on Amtrak get confused by the check baggage constraints because they are used to checking their baggage for airplane travel. They often don't realize that if they can handle or carry their luggage, it is no big deal to tow their luggage through the train station, down the platform, and carry it onto the train.
As for the Crescent versus the Carolinian, the eastern long distance trains (aka overnight sleeper trains) (which are single level cars) do not have the Sight Seer lounge cars that the "western" long distance trains do. The Crescent will have a full service diner car, a cafe car and Amfleet II coach cars with "long distance" seats which recline further and have leg rests. The Carolinian will have a cafe car, no diner car and Amfleet I coach cars with decent seats, but not as nice as the Amfleet IIs. However, the Carolinian as a "day" train will get to Greensboro NC at a more reasonable hour. You have to weigh the trade-off yourself.

The two trains, by the way, take a different route between Alexandria, Virginia and Greensboro. The Carolinian goes through Richmond Virginia and Raleigh NC while the Crescent takes a more rural route further west through Charlottesville VA.

Okay, I forgot this one thing:

Crescent & Carolinian has amfleet/viewliner equipment (single level) because it goes through low-ceiling tunnels in NYP. All trains west of chicago and new orleans, and then the capitol limited and auto train have superliner equipment (double decker) because they're awesome compared to viewliner.

Sunset Limited is a long distance train, operates thrice weekly from New Orleans to Los Angeles. It has superliner equipment, and travels through boring deserts the entire way. At El Paso, you can see Mexico!

Technically, there are size and number of bag restrictions for carry on baggage, but if you can easily carry it by yourself, you can carry it on. It it usually not strictly enforced. And even less so at stations without checked baggage service.

DJ, please don't stress about the size of your luggage. You can measure it and see how it fits the "rules", but it is not like an airplane. I have seen many people with over-sized luggage. I've seen the car attendant suggest that they put the bag in the baggage car, but if it's explained that they are getting off at a stop with no checked baggae, the attendant has then helped to find a place for it. I have never seen anyone questioned about the size of their bags, or charged extra for large carry-on baggage. In practice, if you can haul it on to the train by yourself with no trouble, there will not be a problem.

I am glad you like the Amtrak website. It uses quite old technology. There's a lot of useful information on it, but many of us on this forum complain about the poor functionality for some of our more unusual booking requests, ha, ha!

I'll speak about the routes having ridden or worked segments of them. The crescent rolls in the mountainous area in Virginia. But you will reach that after dark so you probably won't see much. The Carolinian runs across mostly fields and forests which I personally find quite scenic. I always enjoy the small towns and some of the bodies of water. Be sure to look for the Meade Pyramid north of FBG.

Welcome to the US. And I hope you enjoy it.

I am glad you like the Amtrak website. It uses quite old technology. There's a lot of useful information on it, but many of us on this forum complain about the poor functionality for some of our more unusual booking requests, ha, ha!
You should try testing the Italian railroad system trying to do a comparable travel, say: Milan - AnyTownInCentralItalyNotFlorence!! :D

Another thing to consider when deciding whether to take the Crescent or the Carolinian is the scenery along the way. Each follows the same path from New York down to Alexandria, Virginia but diverge there going their separate ways until meeting up in Greensboro NC. I've never been on either of those routes, but if I had to choose I'd spend some time following their respective routes via the aerial imagery of Google Earth: https://www.google.com/earth/ When doing this (and I do it quite often for a cheap trip) it can sometimes be difficult to tell exactly which track the train will take - especially in industrialized areas. One way to figure it out is to backtrack from the next station on the route. And sometimes when it gets difficult to see the tracks from the Google Earth aeroplane, I'll switch over and use the topographic maps from this website: http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm

It looks like you'll have more daylight to see sights on the Carolinian - if that matters to you.

You should try testing the Italian railroad system trying to do a comparable travel, say: Milan - AnyTownInCentralItalyNotFlorence!! :D
Ha, ha, I have only been in Italy twice, and the last time was in 1983, when I was in my early thirties (there, I have dated myself, and now you know I am a little old lady!). But I do love to watch Travel with Rick Steves on public television, and he has an Italy segment coming up later this month.

I think the Carolinian is a good choice. A year and a half ago, I took the Palmetto, which is a similar day-train. Because it is a less expensive train, you will see quite a slice of the American public on the train, probably more children and young people than on the Crescent. If you are open to conversations, you may find the people sitting around you to be very friendly. It's a good idea to take some snacks with you, or even to purchase and carry a sandwich and some fruit. You will get more food for your money (and have more choices) off the train. But the offerings in the cafe car are not bad, and I always patronize the cafe just for a change of seating and the chance to look our a different window.

I note that the train description says the Carolinian has wi-fi. I've been on some trains where the wi-fi only worked in the cafe car, so that's another good reason for the change of seat and hot/cold beverage. Don't expect blazing fast speeds, but you will probably be able to check your email. Amtrak's wi-fi, where it works, comes off cell-phone towers, so it can be intermittent depending on the terrain.

Another reason to modify rather than cancel is the size of the refund penalty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 10% penalty is based on the size of the refund. Say the fare drops from $200 to $150. If you cancel and rebook, the penalty is 10 % of 200 or $20. If you modify, the penalty is 10% of 200-150 or $5.

I learned this when a telephone agent tried to talk me out of making a change by canceling and re-booking. Either I was extra dense that day or she wasn't explaining it well, but it took me a while to catch on.

Some years ago when I noticed the cost of already-purchased fare had dropped by more than US$100, I called, got an agent and said something like "I think I somehow goofed up something when paying $XYZ for this ticket - it's actually $100 less.". She said she'd look, came back with something like "By golly, you're right! I'll just credit the difference to your card - OK?" I said "OK, thank you." and got a refund. Maybe I got an agent that was unfamiliar with what the procedure should have been because I tried the same thing on another fare reduction a few months ago and was told the penalty was more than the reduction.

I speak as an user of a pretty shabby train system which is the Italian one, and thus it must be said that those of Amtrak made a great job in constructing their website.
Warning: in some ways, Amtrak is much worse than the Italian train system. This is not Amtrak's fault. Amtrak doesn't get enough government funding -- and more importantly, most of the tracks are owned by private companies which are somewhat hostile to passenger trains and delay the trains. So there are HUGE train delays. Regularly.
If you know to expect delays of 2 hours or more, however, you'll have a lovely time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back