First Time Rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have been browsing these forums and searching on them for days. I cannot say how much I appreciate all of the information given on here. With my student savings (still in college), the Amtrak was such an economical option even compared to just driving. I am both extremely nervous and excited for my first time on Amtrak, and I have just a few questions.

I am taking the Cardinal from little Ashland, Kentucky (an unmanned station) to Washington, DC. What do I do about checked luggage? Am I just out of luck? The Huntington, West Virginia station (the very next one and the city I work in) is manned. I thought about departing from there but Ashland is just easier.

This is a round trip, and I am leaving the end of June and returning early July. I figure that this train will be quite full. My trip is 12 hours (6AM to 6PM), so I will sleep some but not much. How about dining? I read that the dining car tends to be quite full, so I guess bring my own snacks and go to the snack lounge?

Is there anything I should know in general or about the Cardinal? I read the other topics about things to bring and what to be prepared for, etc.

Since this is an unmanned station, do I just need to show up about a half an hour before and wait for the train to stop and the conductor to greet me?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you so much!!

If you have more than two pieces of luggage, you really should go to Huntington and take advantage of the checked baggage service. I recommend getting to the station at least an hour before train time if you are checking luggage. If you are carrying only two bags, and neither is large or heavy, Ashland would suffice as long as you receive your ticket by mail.

Carrying your own snacks on the Cardinal is a good idea since the lounge car can be a little crowded and a bit pricey.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Since my ticket is for Ashland and I need to go to Huntington for checked baggage, can I just board there? Or is that not possible since my ticket is marked for Ashland?

Welcome!
hi.gif

Normally, I would advise you to go to the staffed station the day before and check your bag. But with the Cardinal operating only 3 times a week, that is not an option. There is however plenty of room above your seat in the luggage rack (not small like a plane) and at the end of the car. As far as meals, there is a combined cafe/dining car aboard. I was on the Cardinal a few weeks ago, and did not find the dining portion of the car overused. (Remember there are only about 10 sleeping rooms on the train, so there are many additional slots for meals.)

The meals are reheated in a convection oven. Since there is no grill, there are certain things unavailable (like cooked to order steaks or omlettes).

You will be going thru the New River Gorge (morning eastbound - right hand side, evening westbound - may be dark).

There is a "lounge" portion in the combined cafe/dining car. However, the aisle is usually filled with a line of passengers waiting to get to the cafe counter. I (personally) do not use the "lounge"!

If you have not yet done so, I highly recommend that you join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) prior to your trip! (It is similar to an airlines frequent flyer program, allowing rewards like free Amtrak travel!) If you would like, I will be glad to refer you to AGR. Just send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address.

I used to depart and arrive at Ashland (sometimes South Portsmouth, and once Huntington) about 6-7 years ago. At the time, the Ashland stop also served as the Greyhound depot. If the hours are right, you may be able to wait inside. Outside, you'll have a great view of the Ashland bridge and the rock cliffs of the Ohio side (above U.S. 52). One piece of advice I can give is to call Amtrak or check the website periodically to see if the train is on time or running late.

Oh, and if you're familiar with downtown Portsmouth, OH, you might get a kick out of this:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/35560-portsmouth-oh/page__p__265088__hl__%2Bportsmouth+%2Bohio__fromsearch__1#entry265088

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back