First thing you want to do on an Amtrak train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
make arrangements for a cab ride enroute. don't bother asking me how. it's a secret. just a hint....it takes a certain kind of 'credential'......'nuff said..... <_<

You have a Penthouse Suite too?
huh.gif
The only thing is that my Butler brungs me my dinner on hold plates - and I don't have to leave the car!
laugh.gif
I used to have a Penthouse on the SWC, the first tunnel and I was reduced to a normal bedroom on the second floor. :lol:

Seriously though, the first thing I do when I board a train is race to the dining car because the SCA tells me that they're still serving for those who get down there quickly.

After I board a train, I just can't wait to have the conductor collect my ticket so I can relax.

After settling in my Seat or Room, I head for the Lounge (Sightseer on a Superliner as has been said!),with something Cool to Drink ,and watch the Train Pull Out heading for Another Adventure on the Rails!! :wub:

This thread is making me jones for train travel something fierce. Our next LD trip isn't until November. :( I'm going to have to take a random trip to Chicago (or farther) one of these weekends, just for the heck of it.

I like watching the traffic at railroad crossings as we leave town. I always look at the cars and think, "Haha, I'm going on an adventure, and you're stuck running errands or going to work." :giggle:

Well said... I've done that too....

Take a seat in my roomette, drink from a water bottle, open the route guide and see what's in store for the next hour or so, lean back, look out the window, and wait for that slow, small lurch forward indicating we are on our way--so far, always right on time!

This thread is making me jones for train travel something fierce. Our next LD trip isn't until November. :( I'm going to have to take a random trip to Chicago (or farther) one of these weekends, just for the heck of it.
I did that in January - taking a "short" 3,000 mile ride for 6 hours in the "warmth" of Florida!
laugh.gif
The only thing was that Penny ordered a forecast in the 50's that day!
ohmy.gif

I can tell you what we are going to do in less than a month.

1. Stow the luggage in the racks.

2. Find our roomette-wont be diffficult. #2 by the coffee pot!

3. Break out the small bottles of screw top German Reisling to celebrate crossing 1 off of our bucket list.

4. Wave good by to Chicago, and head west.

I did that in January - taking a "short" 3,000 mile ride for 6 hours in the "warmth" of Florida!
laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
Wow, now that is high speed rail!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif
I was thinking the same thing, at first. I'm guessing he took a 3,000 mile (1,500 each way) ride to just spend 6 hours in FL. Guess he couldn't take the heat. :giggle:

laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
I would love to do that, but getting from KAL to Florida takes longer than a day. I'd need to plan a few days off work for a trip like that.

I'm thinking of doing a weekend trip somewhere. Basically, I'm going to take the national route map and draw a circle that includes everything within a ten-hour radius from KAL. Obviously, I can't go straight north (grumble-Amtrak needs to serve northern Michigan-grumble), but I could head up as far as WI/MN perhaps. Also, having to go west to go east is sort of a pain. ;)

Before I even step aboard the sleeper, I try to "size up" the TA/S. Does he/she help, or even offer to help, with luggage? Does he/she greet me with a pleasantry? Once I secure my room, I head immediately to the diner, to see if I can get my first choice of sitting. Then back to room, unpack pc. Cuss that I brought a scanner, ('cause I never friggin even turn them on anymore) open a bottle of wine, pour a glass, and head for the PPC or SSL car to stake out a good seat. If I think about it, I'll check the operational condition of the room's lock, lights, vents, etc., and prolly wipe down stuff with a wet-wipe, plug in my WiFi hot spot, and chill.

Last edited by a moderator:
....settle in and sit back to enjoy the ride.

- if riding in a sleeper - then also meet / greet the neighbors

laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif
I was thinking the same thing, at first. I'm guessing he took a 3,000 mile (1,500 each way) ride to just spend 6 hours in FL. Guess he couldn't take the heat. :giggle:
He couldn't take the cold in Winter Park that day - or maybe 6 hours is the limit any man can spend with me before "heading for the hills." :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS - Dave, it got up to 87° here today.

Amtrak @Amtrak

After I board a train, I just can't wait to ______.

I thought this was a great question for the people of this forum. Amtrak tweeted this today. My answer was to find out if the crew will be cheerful and professional or rude and unprofessional. Still bitter from bad diner experience this week. I will say the service today is light years better than it was 10 or more years ago, at least in my experience.
change into my "trainwear", which in a sleeper for me is sweatpants, a T-Shirt and comfortable shoes or slippers. Can't quite do that in a plane, even in first class. :lol:

Well, it's our first trip, so I'm guessing here, but I'm going to go with stowing our luggage, finding a set of seats together, and then getting breakfast.

First thing I do on the train if I have a sleeper is hang up my coat and get out my clothes for whatever I am wearing the next day. Second thing I do is take my shoes off and put on my slippers. Third thing I do, depending upon the day, is look for the nearest cup of coffee. I love Amtrak coffee!

If no sleeper, I just settle into my seat and try to relax and pray no one sits near me who will talk endlessly on a cellphone for the next few hours... :(

laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
laugh.gif
He couldn't take the cold in Winter Park that day - or maybe 6 hours is the limit any man can spend with me before "heading for the hills." :lol: :lol: :lol:
HINT to everyone: 6 hours with Penny is about 5 hours and 55 minutes too long before going
wacko.gif
!

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
laugh.gif

Well, it's our first trip, so I'm guessing here, but I'm going to go with stowing our luggage, finding a set of seats together, and then getting breakfast.
Getting breakfast? I thought you were taking the EB from CHI to SEA. That departs in the afternoon. So you if you getting breakfast, you must be talking about another train. May I inquire which?

Getting breakfast? I thought you were taking the EB from CHI to SEA. That departs in the afternoon. So you if you getting breakfast, you must be talking about another train. May I inquire which?
Lake Shore Limited in Waterloo first, otherwise we'll never get to CHI, I don't think my poor truck would take that kind of road abuse these days.

RELAX!!! It really depends on where we are leaving from,and which direction we are traveling. Since we usually are in a bedroom, first thing would be to stow our bags,then my shoes come off. Since it is usually late night when we leave, we may crack open some wine and cheese then lay out clothes for the am, then get ready for bed. If it is early morning, we just crawl back into bed for a bit. If it is during the day when we board, we usually do the same, stow our bags, shoes off, slippers out, hang out and enjoy the views and wait for the SCA to come around and inform us about the next meal. Eventually, I pull out the video camera. I plan on trying to get some video this time of Mount Shasta as we go past in the morning.

... check out the Penthouse Suite!
laugh.gif
I would think that the_traveler would send the butler (and the [French?] maid, which he never seems to mention) on ahead to make sure everything was in its proper order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back