First thing you want to do on an Amtrak train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexRail

Train Attendant
Amtrak @Amtrak

After I board a train, I just can't wait to ______.

I thought this was a great question for the people of this forum. Amtrak tweeted this today. My answer was to find out if the crew will be cheerful and professional or rude and unprofessional. Still bitter from bad diner experience this week. I will say the service today is light years better than it was 10 or more years ago, at least in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
After I board a train, I just can't wait to find a window seat if traveling in coach solo (sometimes requiring arguing and pestering the attendant).

As I re-tweeted to @Amtrak, "dinner in the diner"!

Spoken from experiences leaving NOL on the SL(1) and LVW on the TE(22).

I like watching the traffic at railroad crossings as we leave town. I always look at the cars and think, "Haha, I'm going on an adventure, and you're stuck running errands or going to work." :giggle:

I've got this down to a science since the first train I usually board to start an adventure is the southbound Heartland Flyer just before 9 am; it is all Superliner Coach usually 3 cars. Once I find a suitable seat and stake my claim, I wait until we have passed the defect detector on the south end of Norman and then head straight away to the Snack-Lounge to get a Breakfast Sandwich and Mt. Dew, usually from either Connie or Carol who often ask where I'm headed to this time. If Connie is on duty, she always has me turn around to see how long my ponytail has gotten :)

check out the train!

This will be our first train trip and we're so excited!

... check out the Penthouse Suite!
laugh.gif

Secure a seat, then walk the train... count coaches, locate cafe, diner, etc...

Priority?? I am on a train!! I don't have no stinking priorities. :p but seriously my first priority is getting the room situated ie getting the electronics set up, camera ready,luggage stored either under the lower bunk or on top of upper bunk. Then go get mama and grandaughter their apple or orange juice, plug in a dvd for gdaughters portable device, make sure mama's comfortable, then I go get me a cup of that Amtrak coffee come back and kick my shoes off and have a seat in what my gdaughter has nicknamed the "king" chair :lol: and watch the scenery roll by, and wait for that call to the diner. Sorcha, I love rolling past those crossings, or alongside a highway, especially at night or while having dinner in the diner. I wonder how many of those people are thinking "I sure would like to that one day" but never get around to doing so :( I am glad I finally did! :D

I can't wait to find my roomette, stow my suitcase, mix a drink (if traveling after 5pm), sit down, take a deep breath and just feel the relaxation take over me!

Settle into roomettte and line up my play list on my iPod for departure. Sometimes I do a twitter update and four square check in. Text impressions of train and crew to railfan buddies. Call gf and let her know I'm on the train.

1. tell the conductor to disconnect the coach cars as we can go faster without them attached and we won't have to make so many stops
  2. tell the engineer my planned route so he can find his way along the tracks
  3. tell the chef when I prefer to dine and order my lobster and filet cooked on the outdoor grill
  4. tell the wine steward to find me a good bottle of Chteau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac 1996 from the wine cellar car and prepare it for my meal.
  5. tell the SCA to draw my bath and prepare my suite
  6. make reservations for the show in the theater car
  7. verify with the conductor that the Bentley was properly loaded on the train
  8. advise the president where I am in case he needs my assistance on an important international crisis
  9. make sure the plants have been watered in the garden car and ask the horticulturalist about the condition of the Chestnut tree with all the vibrations
  10. call the president of NS and remind him that his freights must remain on sidings until we pass if he wants to keep his job
  11. tell my PR person to not make the crowds at the cities we pass through too big as it wouldn't fit my humble image
  12. see that my aide has properly insured that the bouquets have been delivered to my car
  13. let the other passengers kiss my feet so I look more open and friendly
  14. remind the LSA that the staff should have been wearing their formal dress uniforms with the top hats and plumes
  15. ask the band to stop playing "Hail to the Emperor" as soon as the doors close

Two prong answer on this: If I'm traveling solo by coach, I make sure to secure, if at all possible, a window seat. If not, I head to the SSL. When traveling in a sleeper, I get all my electronic toys set up.

1. tell the conductor to disconnect the coach cars as we can go faster without them attached and we won't have to make so many stops
  2. tell the engineer my planned route so he can find his way along the tracks
  3. tell the chef when I prefer to dine and order my lobster and filet cooked on the outdoor grill
  4. tell the wine steward to find me a good bottle of Chteau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac 1996 from the wine cellar car and prepare it for my meal.
  5. tell the SCA to draw my bath and prepare my suite
  6. make reservations for the show in the theater car
  7. verify with the conductor that the Bentley was properly loaded on the train
  8. advise the president where I am in case he needs my assistance on an important international crisis
  9. make sure the plants have been watered in the garden car and ask the horticulturalist about the condition of the Chestnut tree with all the vibrations
  10. call the president of NS and remind him that his freights must remain on sidings until we pass if he wants to keep his job
  11. tell my PR person to not make the crowds at the cities we pass through too big as it wouldn't fit my humble image
  12. see that my aide has properly insured that the bouquets have been delivered to my car
  13. let the other passengers kiss my feet so I look more open and friendly
  14. remind the LSA that the staff should have been wearing their formal dress uniforms with the top hats and plumes
  15. ask the band to stop playing "Hail to the Emperor" as soon as the doors close
That was hilarious, but you forgot:

16. Ensure my monogrammed towels have been placed on towel warmers in the swimming pool car

We always have a sleeper, sooooo

•  
  • Set up GPS and Scanner...
  • Get a dinner reservation...
  • Wander the consist...
  • Hit the SSL...

We always have a sleeper, sooooo

• Set up GPS and Scanner...
  • Get a dinner reservation...
  • Wander the consist...
  • Hit the SSL...
I have recently discovered how handy the GPS is on a LD train. I get location, speed and elevation and it is fun to check occasionally. Could you tell me about the scanner? Is this so you can hear the engine crews talk to the controllers? How do you know what frequency? If it scans frequencies, how do you know who or which train you are listening to? Does one have to be familiar with railroad industry terms of art to understand any of it? I know that listening in to air traffic comms is mostly Greek to non-pilots or controllers.

The first thing I do when I get into my room and take out my clorox wipes and clean my room, then I usually eat (if I am boarding in Orlando) or just relax.

Could you tell me about the scanner? Is this so you can hear the engine crews talk to the controllers? How do you know what frequency?
The scanners are to listen to communications between the crew (Conductor and Engineer) and between then and DISPATCH (railroad's ATC). It also comes in very handy during unscheduled stops in the middle of nowhere. Crew members (like SCA's) may not know as much as you do, and may in fact ask you what is going on!

Check out THIS LIST for frequencies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back