First long trip on Amtrak, looking for suggestions.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelhoguy

Service Attendant
We are planning our first long Amtrak trip this February 2009.

This trip will take us from Milwaukee WI, to Portland OR on the Empire Builder. Then from Portland OR to Redding CA on the Coast Starlight. From Redding we are heading back up to Olympia/Lacey again on the Coast Starlight. From Olympia/Lacy we go to Los Angeles on the Coast Starlight again. After an overnight in Los Angeles we leave for Chicago on the Southwest Chief and from there we return to Milwaukee on the Hiawatha.

We have sleeper service for the entire trip.

Here are our questions:

1-We get into Portland OR. at 10:10 am and leave at 2:25, is there a place to leave our bags so we can wander around Portland?

2-I have seen the station in Redding and I wonder how long before the train arrives does the station open?

3-I have been told that they do not handle checked bags at Olympia/Lacey, what do we do with our bags when we re-board there?

4-Our train arrives in LA at 9pm on March 2 and departs 6:45 pm March 3rd. Is there a good hotel close to the station to spend the night at? Are there taxis at the station at 10pm at night?

Any other suggestions to help make this a great trip would be appreciated.

Tom

Tom,

Well I can answer question #1, leave your bags in the Metropolitan lounge in Portland's Union Station. This is a special waiting area for passenger traveling in sleeper class on Amtrak, so you're entitled to use the lounge. You'll find the lounge to your left as you enter the station from the tracks after detraining. Head right into that lounge and checkin. You should be able to leave your bags there for a while, free of charge.

And when you return, head right back to the lounge to await the departure of the Coast Starlight. You'll get some light refreshments, comfy seats instead of hard benches, and priority boarding when the CS arrives.

Tom,
Well I can answer question #1, leave your bags in the Metropolitan lounge in Portland's Union Station. This is a special waiting area for passenger traveling in sleeper class on Amtrak, so you're entitled to use the lounge. You'll find the lounge to your left as you enter the station from the tracks after detraining. Head right into that lounge and checkin. You should be able to leave your bags there for a while, free of charge.

And when you return, head right back to the lounge to await the departure of the Coast Starlight. You'll get some light refreshments, comfy seats instead of hard benches, and priority boarding when the CS arrives.

That sounds easy enough, thanks

As for question #2, it appears the Redding Depot opens at 1am and closes at 6am, however, there isn't a ticket office. And no mention of even bathrooms.

**Edit: Ok, so the depot looks nicer than I thought it would, based on Amtrak's desciption. Here is a link with pics and a more thorough description.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...1US256%26sa%3DN

Last edited by a moderator:
As for question 3, that's correct, no baggage service from Olympia. There are luggage racks in the bottom of the sleeping cars. Those should be sufficient. If not, the attendant usually has a method to check the bags at the next stop.

As for question #2, it appears the Redding Depot opens at 1am and closes at 6am, however, there isn't a ticket office. And no mention of even bathrooms.
**Edit: Ok, so the depot looks nicer than I thought it would, based on Amtrak's desciption. Here is a link with pics and a more thorough description.

Thanks for the info, we stopped off last time we were there and the station looks very nice, is was always locked, now I know why.

Thanks for the link, that was interesting.

Tom

4-Our train arrives in LA at 9pm on March 2 and departs 6:45 pm March 3rd. Is there a good hotel close to the station to spend the night at? Are there taxis at the station at 10pm at night?
A convenient hotel in LA is the Metro Plaza Hotel. It is not a palace, but it is not a dump either. And it is an easy 5 minute, 2 block walk from Union Station. For other hotels, you can check this list from OTOL.

There will be taxis at the station when you arrive.

Tom,

I will second the endorsement of the PDX Metropolitan Lounge. It is very comfortable, has excellent luggage storage that appears secure (self serve). allows for direct passage to the trains, and offers reading materials, coffee, sodas, etc. Don't pass it up if traveling first class to or from Portland.

Be careful when walking from Union Station at night. Our CS was an hour late and we were accosted by some crazy guy putting his arm around us, dancing, shouting " Son Of Sam, Son Of Sam ". He then motioned for others to join him, but thankfully they didn't. Who knew what he wanted. Next he started harrassing an elderly couple who had crossed the street ahead of us. Good thing it is a five minute walk as we reached the hotel but he was still shouting in front of the door. The desk clerk called their security and that was that. Just be careful late at night and make sure you are with a large group or take a taxi. Spot

One bit of advice - have a bunch of cash in small bills for tips. If you are in a sleeper, your meals are paid for but tips are not - and if you don't have to pay for the meal, there is no credit card slip to put the tip on. You have been warned ;)

One bit of advice - have a bunch of cash in small bills for tips. If you are in a sleeper, your meals are paid for but tips are not - and if you don't have to pay for the meal, there is no credit card slip to put the tip on. You have been warned ;)
One more question, is there time to get off the train and take pictures of the different stations along the way?

Thank you all for the help, I am really looking forward to this trip.

One more question, is there time to get off the train and take pictures of the different stations along the way?
At most stations, no. But along the way there will be stops for crew changes, refueling, and such, as well as smoking stops. At those stops you can indeed step off the train for a bit of fresh air and a photograph. Just don't wander off the platform and be ready to jump back on at a moments notice.

Those stops where you can get off are usually announced, so listen for them or ask your attendant.

The Portland staff told me not to wait in the Metropolitan lounge when I got off my sleeper Empire Builder, waiting for the Starlight.

Grrrr.

Looks like a lot of Heart went into all that work! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back