First Amtrak trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking my first Amtrak trip ever in a couple weeks from Chicago to Hartford CT on the Lakeshore Limited. I have to go there for business and will be flying back. Any ideas what to expect, comments, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wade

Your schedule will be:

448 Lakeshore Limited: Depart Chicago, IL 7:55 pm, Arrive Springfield, MA 3:32 PM

The Lake Shore Limited travels daily between Chicago and New York City, along some of the country's prettiest shorelines.

You'll travel along the south shore of Lake Michigan, the Mohawk River, and the Erie Canal, following a famous Native American Highway. In New York State, you'll pass through the Finger Lakes region to Albany, capital of the Empire State.

From there, travel through the Berkshires and stop in Pittsfield, where you can tour the house where Herman Melville wrote Moby Dick. Or, visit the Berkshire Museum. In Boston, make connections to Providence and Mystic Seaport on our Regional service.

Onboard, make the most of our luxurious Viewliner accommodations. Stretch out in your comfortable seat or relax in your Viewliner Sleeper.

477 Regional: Depart Springfield, MA 6:44 pm, Arrive Hartford, CT 7:18 pm

The Regional offers convenient and affordable downtown-to-downtown service up and down the Northeast Corridor, with multiple departures daily.

The trains that run the Regional line have been redesigned to make your onboard experience the best ever. You'll find comfortable seating with electrical outlets for your laptop computer and extra storage space for your luggage. Cafe Cars offer appetizing sandwiches, snacks and beverages.

In Business Class, you'll enjoy a complimentary beverage in the Cafe Car, and have access to conference tables and phones. For budget-minded travelers, Coach Class service is also available.

On Regional trains, you can relax in our popular Quiet Car, where cell phones are silent and conversation is kept to a minimum.

Amtrak Clocker and Shuttle Trains provide additional service over segments of the Regional route. Clockers offer Coach Class service between Philadelphia and New York. Shuttles offer Coach Class service between New Haven, CT and Springfield, MA.

(All information is from the Amtrak.com website.)

First of all, prepare for delays. Amtrak does not own the tracks over which the Lake Shore Limited operates, and thus it is at the mercy of the host (freight) railroads. Freight trains are slower than passenger trains, and therefore, if one is in the way, it can take a while before it clears. As long as you are aware of this fact, and are prepared for it, the trip should be enjoyable.

If you are in a sleeping car, your car attendant will take care of you during the trip, making up your bed at night, and converting it back into regular seats in the morning. He/she will also let you know when the dining car is open. Sleeping car passengers have all of their meals paid for (except gratuities), so enjoy the food.

If you are in coach, you'll have a nice seat with plenty of legroom. Depending on how full the train is, you may or may not get two seats to yourself. If you do, then sleeping gets a bit easier.

Unfortunately, lounge space can be limited, depending on the configuration of your train's lounge car. However, if room is available, feel free to sit at a table and talk to some of your fellow passengers while looking at the scenery as it passes you by.

In Albany, you'll connect to a train which should be spotted directly across the platform, which will ease your connection. The connecting train will have coaches, business class, and a cafe (snacks and light meals available, but no full dining car service). Since you are going to Hartford, you'll have another connection in Springfield to a shuttle train the rest of the way.

wadesmith said:
I will be taking my first Amtrak trip ever in a couple weeks from Chicago to Hartford CT on the Lakeshore Limited. I have to go there for business and will be flying back. Any ideas what to expect, comments, etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Wade
Another thing you may like to do would be to check the timekeeping of the Lake Shore Limited by using the "Train Status" box on the Amtrak.com website. You can check the timekeeping of any Amtrak train for five days or so. This might give you a better idea of to what extent your train will be late. The day of your trip may bring a pleasant surprise; you could be close to being on time!

Take a look at the trip reports and travel tips over at On Track On Line. Many other have found those tips helpful.

Finally, relax as much as you can. You will find the space you have, even in coach, much more roomier than in a car, bus, or plane. You will find you don't have the hassle of driving and can relax by looking at the scenery, or by chatting with other folks on the train.

I hope you have a good trip! When you return, please come back and tell us about it in the "Trip Reports" section of the site. Whether good, bad, or indifferent, all of us here enjoy talking about passenger rail service.

Thanks for the replies. they are very helpful. I have flown quite a bit for business the last 3 years, and that gets old. I am really looking forward to a train ride, and will give a follow-up.

Can anyone tell me what the luggage storing is like? I will have carry-on size only since it is a 3 day trip, but do you put the carry-on right by you on the train, like on a plane, so you can grab it when you have to change trains, or does it go somewhere where it has to be retrieved?

Also, this may sound stupid, but from Chicago to Albany, is there a better side of the train to sit on for viewing?

Thanks.

Guest_wadesmith said:
Can anyone tell me what the luggage storing is like? I will have carry-on size only since it is a 3 day trip, but do you put the carry-on right by you on the train, like on a plane, so you can grab it when you have to change trains, or does it go somewhere where it has to be retrieved?
That's kind of your choice. There is an overhead luggage rack, that will accomodate a medium sized suitcase without trouble. Or there are luggage racks at one end of the car that can accomodate even larger bags. So it's really up to you where you'd like to keep your bag.

Guest_wadesmith said:
Also, this may sound stupid, but from Chicago to Albany, is there a better side of the train to sit on for viewing?
I would try for the right side of the trains forward motion. When you wake up in the morning in NY State, for quite a while you will be running parallel to the old Erie Canal. That will show up on the right side of the train. You'll also get the best, albiet brief view of Albany out the right side as you cross the Hudson River.

Guest_wadesmith said:
Thanks for the replies. they are very helpful. I have flown quite a bit for business the last 3 years, and that gets old. I am really looking forward to a train ride, and will give a follow-up.

Thanks.
The luggage rack is slightly bigger than the airplane's. So fewer hassles :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back