Fire Richard Anderson Campaign?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were plenty of "Let Conrail Be Conrail" stickers back in the day too. We saw how well that worked.
default_wink.png

I don't know who did it but I completely support them. What's next a locomotive? I wonder how long it will last.
If the cop put it there, he's probably walking around Sunnyside Yard on the midnight shift now.
The problem is you have to find the person that did it, and then have to prove it was them.. This is the kinda thing that would go to a Union Trial and the Union would probably win unless they have stone cold proof that said person did it.

I don't know who did it but I completely support them. What's next a locomotive? I wonder how long it will last.
If the cop put it there, he's probably walking around Sunnyside Yard on the midnight shift now.
The problem is you have to find the person that did it, and then have to prove it was them.. This is the kinda thing that would go to a Union Trial and the Union would probably win unless they have stone cold proof that said person did it.

I was making a joke, Acela. No need to explain that it would be difficult to prove any individual actually did it.

On a recent long distance train I had a long conversation with an Amtrak cop; one with many years on the force. He was far from complimentary regarding Mr. Anderson. He viewed the situation as close to hopeless. Mr. Anderson won't be replaced, the board is afraid of him. He views Mr. Anderson as aloof and distant and stated he's never experienced an Amtrak president like this. He also mentioned that the Amtrak Police are also being cut back. I know this is just one instance, but it's telling. I think someone other than an Amtrak Policeman put that sticker there, although they may be slow to remove it.

To the defenders of Mr. Anderson I say this: When has any Amtrak president faced this much resentment and criticism? Either he's a noble trail blazer or pretty much the negative element that so many employees and customers say he is.

I would trust a cop to understand the relationship between Anderson and the board about as much as I would trust that same cop to understand the rights of photographers (which is to say “not at all”).

The chances of someone other than a cop putting a bumper sticker on a police cruiser are also hovering somewhere just below zero.

"The Board is afraid of him"? Talk about ridiculous nonsense. The Board gave him a set of goals to meet to collect his bonus, and now they are afraid of him that he is working towards meeting those?

The simpler explanation is that the Board and Mr. Coscia are not doing anything that the railfans want because they do not share the railfan's vision of Amtrak, I have no clue what they believe in, but apparently it is not what many in the railfan/advocate community believe in.

The bottom line simple explanation is that the Board is not getting rid of him because he is performing in accordance with their expectation towards the goals that they set for him. There is currently absolutely no evidence to suggest anything else.

This does not mean that I personally agree with much of what is happening. But when evidence is staring starkly in ones face, it is better to call it out than pussyfoot around with convoluted explanations based on random conspiracies.

The simpler explanation is that the Board and Mr. Coscia are not doing anything that the railfans want because they do not share the railfan's vision of Amtrak, I have no clue what they believe in, but apparently it is not what many in the railfan/advocate community believe in.
So, you think the board wants and welcomes the lack of a discernible vision that is poorly communicated?

The bottom line simple explanation is that the Board is not getting rid of him because he is performing in accordance with their expectation towards the goals that they set for him. There is currently absolutely no evidence to suggest anything else.

Do you think the board set goals for causing Congress breathe down their neck by threatening to cut trains, eliminate service, eliminate connectivity, and now will face possible legislative actions? If that's the case, it goes back to what I've said for years. Perhaps everyone needs to stop focusing on the CEO and work on replacing the board.

The Board is responsible for managing the CEO. Either it is doing its job as intended by the majority of Congress people, or it will get reprimanded. So far all the amendments proposed by the good Senators are wishy-washy horsepucky. None of them are definite about what specific actions they expect of the Board or the CEO. How difficult is it to say something like "Continue to run the Southwest Chief on its present route and tell us what funding needs to be included for that in FY2019"? A Congress that was actually serious about maintaining the "National Network" in its present form would in my reclo0ning do something like that. Which leads me to believe that maybe Congress is not really intersted in going beyond platitudes when it comes to the National Network. Am I wrong? I sure hope so.

I have a suspicion that maybe what Anderson is doing is not an accident but is part of some diabolical plan of his, somewhat akin to the actions of the Congress and the President in running the country. We'll see.

Otherwise can you explain the singular lack of any reaction of any sort that is actionable from the Board or Congress so far, beyond feel good sounding amendment or two? No peep about threats of withholding funds unless this and that is specifically done etc.? What gives?

JIS,

I, for one, have four (4) competing theories on Anderson.

One, he is in bed with big oil, air and highway interests and this is all a very insidious plot to rid the Nation of the rail passenger option. This is truly possible but unlikely. For one thing, it sounds too paranoid to me. Besides, I’m not especially fond of conspiracy theories but that’s just me.

Two, he is just plain incompetent and does not know how to run Amtrak so he is attempting to manage by experiment. This is a lot more likely. If true, it will almost certainly end badly. Believe me. I have worked under managers before who have acted like that and it is NO fun. “Let’s try this” and when that doesn’t work, well, “I guess we will have to do this” and then, uh, well, etc. etc.

Third, he does not want to go down with blood on his hands. There were three terrible wrecks right after he took the reins and he does not want to risk more wrecks. So, when he says he will not operate over tracks with no PTC, he really means that. This is both possible and logical. Unfortunately, deep-sixing the long distance trains will probably do far more damage to the bottom line – and the Nation – than if he were to keep running them.

Fourth and last, the most optimistic of my theories. His whole approach is a Trumpian-like ploy to eke out a better deal and to get more $ out of the states and Congress. This is both possible and likely. Unfortunately, it could backfire. If the states and Congress fail to pony up, Anderson could well see no other alternative than carrying out his threats.

FMC

My suspicion is that it is a combination of 3 and 4 in some proportion, maybe with a very small amount of 2 thrown in. I don;t believe 1 is a factor basically for the reason you state.

I am still a bit perplexed with the whole SWC thing, both what Anderson is doing, and the really lukewarm platitudes of support coming from the Senators. We, who are used tog getting o support or hostility are rejoicing at the few spare bones being tossed at us I am afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
My suspicion is that it is a combination of 3 and 4 in some proportion, maybe with a very small amount of 2 thrown in. I don;t believe 1 is a factor basically for the reason you state.

I am still a bit perplexed with the whole SWC thing, both what Anderson is doing, and the really lukewarm platitudes of support coming from the Senators. We, who are used tog getting o support or hostility are rejoicing at the few spare bones being tossed at us I am afraid.
I believe the senators are providing extra funding to rehab the tracks for the SWC. So if that's the case, #4 worked. What he's doing with the SWC smells to me like a classic private sector negotiating tactic.

JIS,

Another thing that makes me wonder about possibility #four is that I thought I saw where Anderson stated that to get the line up to snuff would take at LEAST $300 million. That'd be "a start". So, he might be pushing for more money since the current deal with Amtrak providing the $3 million match wouldn't bring the total to anywhere near that ball park.

As I have alluded to before, I believe too much energy is getting expended on saving the Chief when the FIRST thing to think about is saving the line it operates over. The three states, the feds, Amtrak and BNSF need to all get on the same page and come up with a plan that does that not just for the Chief but for freight as well. This could be a viable freight route for certain kinds of freight like very hot intermodal trains. But if BNSF has to shoulder all the costs alone, then they're not interested. But they might cooperate and work with a well balanced plan that spreads the costs around. There's no way to know for sure except by trying to contact them but if we did that I doubt they'd tell us.

I have been trying for over a year now to get a straight answer out of the You Pee as to what they plan to do with the old West Phoenix line but they won't tell me.

Regards,

FMC

I will say this, when BNSF threatened to downgrade/shortline the Raton Line, it was a successful negotiating tactic. So why do people view it as a crime when Amtrak is basically doing the same thing? The end game here is to pry more money from the politicians, on a bigger scale than a TIGER grant here, and a TIGER grant there. The truth is in this era, to get better funding, you have to create a sense of urgency. Sounds like it might be working.

"..they do not share the railfan's vision of Amtrak"; grief; what goes through the minds of some with whom we share this planet?
The corollary to such is that the Board does not share the vision of the hobbyist Long Distance train traveler. They do not even share the purposeful traveler using an LD, as I believe they recognize that subsidized bus routes over a phase out period serving likely 350 of Amtrak's 500 stations, represent a more economical means to provide transportation to those small number of passengers affected by any LD discontinuances.

While likely not attainable in full, the object of the Board and their "hired hand", Mr. Anderson, appears to be the transformation of Amtrak into a transportation resource serving markets in which such resource is recognized as needed. In the aggregate, the Corridor and the Locally funded routes, put more into the cookie jar than they take out for "gas, lube & oil, car washes, and drivers,". The more the record level of FY 18 funding, and hopefully at the same level in future years, can be directed to infrastructure improvements, Corridor and elsewhere (street running in Ashland or Oakland; "romantic" - but efficient? Chicago area; where to begin!!), the more Amtrak will be recognized as a means to solve transportation problems.

Unfortunately for the Long Distance advocacy community, "Three a Week" through the fastest growing region of the USA, does not.

That is certainly a plausible hypothesis that at the face of it fits the current facts.

Unfortunately apparently the street running in Ashland is not one of the things that will get fixed anytime soon and it is smack dab in the middle of a successful growing corridor [emoji57]

I will say this, when BNSF threatened to downgrade/shortline the Raton Line, it was a successful negotiating tactic. So why do people view it as a crime when Amtrak is basically doing the same thing? The end game here is to pry more money from the politicians, on a bigger scale than a TIGER grant here, and a TIGER grant there. The truth is in this era, to get better funding, you have to create a sense of urgency. Sounds like it might be working.
Well, I don't view it as a "crime". It's just one of my theories as to why Anderson might be doing what he's doing. I'll say this. If he pulls that off successfully, I will give him high marks. But we'll have to wait and see 'cause none of us really know at this point what his real intentions are.

Regards,

FMC

Back