Fire Richard Anderson Campaign?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing about Frontier and Spirit you know wha you are getting into when you buy the ticket. With the current Amtrak administration you really don't. Remember they were selling full fare sleepers for four trains (29/30, 48/49) long before they announced their permanent test. And when they announced the cold meal crap.

Standard refund rates (which are crappy now) apply to the fare. At least on Spirit you know they aren't going to feed you or carry your bag without extra money.

In a way Spirit is much better than Amtrak under Anderson because you can expect consistency in the product something Amtrak is sorely lacking.

The thing about Frontier and Spirit you know wha you are getting into when you buy the ticket. With the current Amtrak administration you really don't. Remember they were selling full fare sleepers for four trains (29/30, 48/49) long before they announced their permanent test. And when they announced the cold meal crap.

Standard refund rates (which are crappy now) apply to the fare. At least on Spirit you know they aren't going to feed you or carry your bag without extra money.

In a way Spirit is much better than Amtrak under Anderson because you can expect consistency in the product something Amtrak is sorely lacking.
This inconsistency of services was something I was really hoping Anderson would focus on at Amtrak. Maybe he still will, but therein lies the problem with the short shelf life of an Amtrak CEO, new visions come and go constantly at Amtrak.

Getting back on track; IMO any politician or official of a public entity should act in the best interests of the American people. Anderson has not, and that is why he needs to go. Fact is (and correct me if I am wrong) that there is no government owned public transportation system in the USA that turns a profit. Amtrak is there to serve the people. Somehow Washington and certainly Anderson has forgotten this.

Getting back on track; IMO any politician or official of a public entity should act in the best interests of the American people. Anderson has not, and that is why he needs to go. Fact is (and correct me if I am wrong) that there is no government owned public transportation system in the USA that turns a profit. Amtrak is there to serve the people. Somehow Washington and certainly Anderson has forgotten this.
So, in your mind making safety & OTP is not the best interest of the passengers but hot meals are? And remember, Anderson did not create the requirement to reduce F&B costs, Congress did. Anderson is just doing what is required of him.

Just a brief add-on to my above post as an after-thought; polls have shown that many Americans do not like to fly and it is not looked upon as an enjoyable experience but a rather miserable experience to dread. They only do it because they have to when they are in a pinch for time. If they have the time, most Americans (and Canadians) would probably rather drive that fly. BUT ! They might consider the train IF the trains went more places more often.

Regards,

Fred M. Cain
JD Power's 2018 survey- a gold standard- show that consumer satisfaction among airline passengers has risen 7 years in a row and is at an all-time high. Delta scores very well in that survey. http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/jd-power-2018-north-america-airline-satisfaction-study
Makes sense. I know every time I get on a plane people are falling all over themselves to remark at how wonderful the experience has become. People love the endless fees, the cramped seats, the indifferent staff, and the wonderful food.
The sad truth is airline flying has gotten better over the last few years. They've significantly improved in flight entertainment options, and the first class products are miles better than where they used to be. That being said, it's still a really low bar that's been set.
Apparently, you don't fly American in ecomony. Reduced seat pitch, new planes without seatback entertainment, basic economy. Great stuff.
I take Amtrak every weekday and have been doing that for well over a decade, and I've taken a few LD trips. When I compare Amtrak to airlines, it almost always loses. Onboard food pricing/taste/quality? Airlines win. On time? Airlines win. Clean bathrooms? Airlines win. Safety? Airlines win. Friendly staff? Airlines win. Absolutely, airlines are far more cramped. Amtrak doesn't offer seatback entertainment. I can fly roundtrip Philly to Chicago cheaper ($260 when I just looked) for $30 more than a value fare in early August on Amtrak and $140 cheaper than a flexible Amtrak fare (and the airline gets you there fast so you don't have to sleep overnight in a coach seat). I get this is an Amtrak forum, but denying that airlines do their job very well, and have been getting better over the past decade, is nonsensical.

And to blame Anderson for the inconsistency in Amtrak's product, as someone just did, just reveals the level of denial.

And to blame Anderson for the inconsistency in Amtrak's product, as someone just did, just reveals the level of denial.
I don't think we're blaming Anderson for Amtrak's inconsistent product. I think we're criticizing him for not taking steps to improve that. There's a big difference
You may not be, but others certainly are.

So, in your mind making safety & OTP is not the best interest of the passengers but hot meals are? And remember, Anderson did not create the requirement to reduce F&B costs, Congress did. Anderson is just doing what is required of him.
Anderson does not have to be a puppet. He is perfectly capable of speaking up in the interest of his riders and employees. But it looks like he is more than happy to be a yes man, which is probably why the board will not terminate him.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is no wonder that the ASWC (Teamsters) has sounded off. For each LD route discontinued likely represents 50 OBS positions abolished, with some 75 employees needed to cover such.

But lest they not forget, it is, other than Sleeping Car Attendants, management has prerogative to decide staffing levels to meet requirements of service they have established.

As I've noted previously, "Appendix C-2" will provide compensatory relief to adversely affected employees. Further, those within the OBS craft have additional relief under PRRRIA 15 (Amtrak Act).

So even if their Representatives choose to "paint some dire picture", an adversely affected Amtrak employee in otherwise good standing, will not be residing under a highway overpass.

Why must it be one group or the other? Why isn't he going to Congress and saying "I'm attempting to do things according to your law but I'm running into interference....you know...from YOUR MEMBERS! Perhaps you'd like to revisit this law since it may lead to revenue loss."

I don't disagree that Anderson should tell Congress what they're asking is not doable, or whatever. I was just pointing out that it wasn't his idea...it was there before he started the job. So many people think he came in and just decided to make the F&B on the trains like airlines F&B on his on initiative.

I hope those who purchased the hat and bumper sticker have T-shirt with the name of an available replacement for Mr. Anderson.
While I agree with you, I think the person who replaces him will need to be a David Gunn. Who restores the credibility of Amtrak. While not all of what is happening is on him and on congress. He still has to answer for most of the ongoing issues. I had some hope with him bringing things such as a standardized BC across the system, and even more so listening to the passengers and what they want. But I'm starting to lose my hope on that front.

I hope those who purchased the hat and bumper sticker have T-shirt with the name of an available replacement for Mr. Anderson.
While I agree with you, I think the person who replaces him will need to be a David Gunn. Who restores the credibility of Amtrak. While not all of what is happening is on him and on congress. He still has to answer for most of the ongoing issues. I had some hope with him bringing things such as a standardized BC across the system, and even more so listening to the passengers and what they want. But I'm starting to lose my hope on that front.
The real problem is the Amtrak top job is seen as career poison these days. So Amtrak would be very hard pressed to find a qualified replacement. Anyone willing to take the job would either be close to retirement, or someone who wants to take on the challenge of turning around the organization (which is what I think Anderson falls into). Of course the latter means upsetting some people.

He’s not really turning Amtrak around is the problem.
Depends on what “turning around” means to those with fiduciary responsibility for Amtrak. [emoji6]
Plus there's probably not a wye nearby to make a quick turn around.
default_wink.png

Still available...
At least I not afraid to communicate with stakeholders and passengers on issues, visions, and the path forward.

Anderson could address so many issues with a Town Hall meeting in Chicago about the future of Amtrak. Anderson could of made changes to Charters and PV but wait 12 months before they came in force. Anderson or his Board could be transparent on his performance based salary requirements.

Still not fully invested in getting Anderson fired. But not a supporter either.

Change is not bad, but the lack transparent is a problem.

I've asked this before, but I don't remember where; and I don't think I got a response.

Whatever happened to the damning OIG report that focused on fraud, waste & abuse? There were a couple of high profile contracting issues that were addressed, but has the core issue of fraud, waste and abuse been addressed and dealt with?

It's not up to Anderson's many AND LEGITIMATE critics to offer a replacement.

Anderson, an airline man, was a poor choice.

The derelict board of directors, because they support all these irrational changes, including discontinuing trains, should also go.

Bringing in a man who knows little about rail travel -- and openly expresses his hostility toward trains and the people who ride them -- has to be one of the worst things that ever happened to Amtrak.

Back