Favorite Paint Scheme and Logo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on their favorite logo (Pointless Arrow vs Three Sheets) and Favorite Paint Scheme (I, II, III, IV, V, or VI)

Mine are The arrow and phase III, the color of the prototype Viewliners.

Phase VI with the "Three Tracks Merging" logo.

I also like the new "Shamu" paint scheme of the P-42's and think it goes well with the phase VI cars.

Phase III and the "Pointless Arrow" logo definetly, in my opinion, does not fit in today's world. The darker blues and teal colors look nicer.

I like Phase IV paint, especially on the Superliners. The "paint," which really appears to be a giant sticker, on most Superliner I cars is starting to peel off, showing the original Phase III paint. The first time I noticed this, I thought there was orange underneath the silver, but it was really the red from Phase III. It's actually a good way to compare the two paint schemes, especially in Phase IV's blue area, as the blue sections of the two schemes overlap. I wonder what the pointless arrow would look like with the darker, Phase IV, colors?

As a side note, in the right light, you can see the original "Amtrak Superliner" (with Superliner in cursive) and numbers underneath the Phase IV paint. They just stuck the Phase IV paint over the Phase III paint.

Sorry to get off topic, but the Superliner I's are in need of a new paint job. First the grey paint covering up the old Phase III paint won't do it. They should just cover it up with a sheet of stainless steel to match the rest of the car. Then on top of that, apply the stripe "decal".

I noticed the peeling paint on my Capitol Limited trip and the old blue is a lot more lighter than the new Phase IV blue. The old red I would say is more of a orange.

The Pointless Arrow used on the Metroliner logo which was applied against the Phase IV Amfleets used in Metroliner service. The logos were removed about 3 years later thinking they would be replaced by the Acela's.

Amfleet said:
Sorry to get off topic, but the Superliner I's are in need of a new paint job. First the grey paint covering up the old Phase III paint won't do it. They should just cover it up with a sheet of stainless steel to match the rest of the car. Then on top of that, apply the stripe "decal".
I noticed the peeling paint on my Capitol Limited trip and the old blue is a lot more lighter than the new Phase IV blue. The old red I would say is more of a orange.

The Pointless Arrow used on the Metroliner logo which was applied against the Phase IV Amfleets used in Metroliner service. The logos were removed about 3 years later thinking they would be replaced by the Acela's.
I know Click Here.

I liked it on there and would even settle for a look like that, but as I said, I'd try Phase III, with that.

Amfleet said:
Wouldn't you have trouble seing the arrow against the thick blue and red stripes of phase III.
It would be bordered with white like the Metroliner Service and Northeast Direct Service Logos did in Phase III.

Phase VI (or IV) and the arrow with the blue and red darkened to match.

For the superliners getting rid of the old paint is something a little sandblasting couldn't cure. I always wondered if they just painted over the old as on a lot of the cars you can see spots where the old colors are poking through.

tp49 said:
Phase VI (or IV) and the arrow with the blue and red darkened to match.
For the superliners getting rid of the old paint is something a little sandblasting couldn't cure. I always wondered if they just painted over the old as on a lot of the cars you can see spots where the old colors are poking through.
It's the same with the "Lava Lamp" Acela Amfleets. The new paint was peeling around the windows where the old paint was noticable. As for sandblasting that is a good idea, but would it efect the strength of the exterior metal in anyway? I'm guessing the old paint was just "covered" up before because of budget cuts.

Mines is phase III. I'm not too wild about any of the logos , but the pointless one seems better. The new on look like something you'll see for an airline. Phase IV dosent look all that good. There's too little red in there and sometime at a distance the red looks pinkish. It especially looks real ugly locomotives. I perfer them to be in III , but between IV and V I'll choose V.

How about an Amtrak "Warbonnet" or some "fallen flags" colors, just for the sheer BEAUTY of it?

Could you see the Empire Builder in actual Empire Builder colors?

SWEET!

WoodenMike said:
How about an Amtrak "Warbonnet" or some "fallen flags" colors, just for the sheer BEAUTY of it?
Could you see the Empire Builder in actual Empire Builder colors?

SWEET!
WM: I hear that! I'd love to see the Empire Builder colors come back.

Yes, I, too, in a way, would like to see some of the old colors come back....but think about this....equipment utilization....I believe today's SouthWest Chief becomes the Capital limited, does it not? And there are some other things---doesn't the City of New Orelans become something else? Perhaps the Builder? So that would screw up the idea of individual paint schemes.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Yes, I, too, in a way, would like to see some of the old colors come back....but think about this....equipment utilization....I believe today's SouthWest Chief becomes the Capital limited, does it not? And there are some other things---doesn't the City of New Orelans become something else? Perhaps the Builder? So that would screw up the idea of individual paint schemes.
Bill,

You are correct, the Chief does become the Capital. The City of NOL becomes the Empire Builder.

One thing Gunn did say was they were doing away with the pinstripe and the "wave" paint schemes and standardizing everthing in the fleet! B)

Amfleet said:
When you say "pinstripes" and "waves" what do you mean.
Yes, I'm confused as well. I get the standardized scheme, but does he mean the logo and the scheme, or both? :unsure:

The pinstripes are the wide red, white and blue banner from years gone by. The "wave" is the loco some times referred to as the"Shamu".

It seems that the new paint eliminates the car number from big to small numbers,is being placed near the vestible and the number is also being removed from the centerplate and the Amtrak logo replacing it. they are also placing the word "coach" in small lettering near the vestible only.

With the small numbers, it's become very time consuming to put a yardsheet together. Now you have to slow the buggy down and look hard to get the right cars.

B)

No more "Shamu's" :eek: :( I liked that scheme on the P-42. Very flashy. Do you know what kind of design will replace it.

Thanks for clearing up the pinstripes. I though you meant the tiny ones against the broadband of dark blue (aka Phase IV).

Any idea if they're planning to do a Phase VI paint job on the Superliners, or if they're just going to leave the peeling (on Superliner I's) Phase IV paint alone? If they wait too long, the Superliner I's will be back in Phase III. :blink:

I'm guessing Amtrak will repaint Superliner I and II cars in Phase VI. Probably with the same large blue stripe (though with a now more teal color), with the red and white pintstripes, and the word "SUPERLINER" across the top. Where it says Amtrak in the corner of the car it may have the three tracks merging logo instead.

I too hope that any car with peeling paint will get a new paint job.

So wait, we mean bye-bye Phase III, and V. I'd have to agree with Amfleet on the Superliners, I wonder about the Viewliners, besides the obvious change from "Amtrak" to the Three Sheets Logo, I wonder if they'll shrink the #'s and "Sleeping Car" as well. Is the New Loco Scheme going to be applied to the AEM-7's? or just the P-40/2's

The run down is no more Phase III (the three equal red, white, and blue stripes), no more Phase IV (the large broadband of darkblue with the red and white pinstipes), and no more Phase V (the blotchy scheme of teals and blues applied to the Amfleets for Acela Regional service). Now, within a year all cars should get Phase VI which is similar to Phase IV but has a large broadband of dark teal/blue with the read and white pinstripes and on the bottom of the car there will be a red reflector stripe.

I don't know what kind of paint the AEM-7's will get and as for the Viewliners they will probably get the Phase VI treatment with the small roster numbers in the corner and the wave logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back