Favorite Paint Scheme and Logo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me just say this, Phase V to my knowledge hasn't gone away yet in the locomtotives. A few months ago Auto Train sent about half a dozen P-40's to be refurbished (I don't know exacxtly where but I believe it might have been NOL). At any rate when the units came back the were wearing the ugly Phase 5b scheme. To see what I'm talking about take a look at 832 as it backs on to AT a few weeks ago in the road power move. (P.S. 206 and 832 led Mr. Gunn's P052(20) to Lorton yesterday, I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him, but many of the JAX and MIA based crews did meet him)

Miami Joe said:
With the small numbers, it's become very time consuming to put a yardsheet together. Now you have to slow the buggy down and look hard to get the right cars.
Yes, and it will make it nearly impossible for me when I work ready crew. I will have to go up each platform just to read the dang numbers, to make sure I'm readying the right cars.

Imagine having to do that for a monster train like AT, I'd hate to have to work that job, but I'd deal with it.

See that is what makes me mad about the current system. When I sit along the rails with my Camera I want to see constancy from the first axle to the last, including the engines.

Same with me. I hate riding a Northeeast Regonal train and getting an 8 car train with an a total mix bag. Very inconsistant and makes for a bad look. I think the Shamus against the Phase VI cars would go well. Remember the railroads of the '50's would always signiture their locos and the rest of the fleet would be unpainted or in a slightly different scheme.

But look at Railroads like ACL, the continuous paint scheme looks outstanding on them. Why change from your head end to the rest of the fleet? Stock three colors, red, white, and blue.

battalion51 said:
But look at Railroads like ACL, the continuous paint scheme looks outstanding on them. Why change from your head end to the rest of the fleet? Stock three colors, red, white, and blue.
I agree, it did look good, but then again those trains didn't have a true Scheme, except on the name plate. It also ran with cars from several rr's and would change locomotives each time. The ACL (and SCL/SAL) were also able to keep equipment specific to one train, like the Silver Meteor (My Favorite) for example.

Keep in mind about pre-Amtrak trains.....not only did they have cars from the different participating railroads, as shown in the timetable, but also they would quite often borrow cars from completely uninvolved different roads, with their own color schemes as well.

This was especially true of winter season trains to Florida....they might have sleepers on there from the Union Pacific, Nickel Plate, Chesapeake & Ohio, whomever....railroads which participated in the pullman company and had the ability to borrow equipment from all over the country as needed,if it was available, with a minimal amount of red tape.

Now, in the summertime, consists were more likely to be "pure", completely matched from one end to the other.

Adding to the above, I know there are a lot of shots out there showing the East Coast Champion, West Coast Champion,Florida Special and the Silver trains and others, going around curves, showing off a splendidly matched consist. Certainly that happened. I am only saying it didn't have happen quite as routinely as one might suppose.

Seems to me that about the time the SAL and ACL merged there was an effort to "spiffy up" the Florida Special (a winter season all pullman ACL streamliner) with extra amenities, etc. At that time I believe they really did put together a dedicated perfectly matched consist....but I don't think that really held together too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back