Favorite meals on CL and TE.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
We are going WAS - DAL and back over the next few weeks and have the opportunity to enjoy lots of meals in the dining cars. Some people rave about the steak - is it usually outstanding. I like railroad toast, and read lots of postitive comments about the Angus Burger. What are the favorite meals of AU folks that you always order when available?

I had a steak on the CL a few days ago and it was excellent! Also, the seafood offering and the chef's marketplace special are usually very good.......

Steak is usually my #1 choice for supper unless they have something interesting such as the Lamb Shank I recently enjoyed on the Lake Shore Limited (one of the best AmMeals I have had!). The Veggie Burger at Lunch has never done me wrong and the Breakfast Quesadillas on the Texas Eagle are EXCELLENT!

Some people rave about the steak - is it usually outstanding?
It may be the best option on the dinner menu for sleeper passengers, but it's never impressed me much. Nor am I convinced that making any specific request for cooking time has any noticeable effect on how it's actually prepared. The over-cooked veggies that come with it don't help. In any case it's certainly not worth the asking price for coach passengers.

I like railroad toast, and read lots of postitive comments about the Angus Burger.
I enjoyed the French toast more than I expected and it's better than any of the other egg dishes I've tried. However, the Angus Burger has been a universally disappointing experience for me. I didn't even know you could completely screw up a burger, but this one has never once been fresh and juicy. Bland and dry is much closer to how I'd describe it.

What are the favorite meals of AU folks that you always order when available?
Besides the French toast the only other dish that's surprised me in a positive way was the chicken curry & rice. If the "Chef's Marketplace Special" doesn't look appetizing I'll generally skip to one of the desserts or just head back to my seat.

... and the Breakfast Quesadillas on the Texas Eagle are EXCELLENT!
Gotta give 2 thumbs up for the breakfast Quesadillas on the TE, I hope they can be available on other routes in the future. Other than that, the only other thing I had to eat on a recent 4 day TE trip was Angus burgers ... for lunch and dinner - loved 'em! By the 4th day, I could tell my dining car attendant Thelma "I'll have the usual." and she knew I meant an Angus burger.

I wouldn't say that the steak is great, but paired with the baked potato it is dependable.

Most of the vegetarian choices make me think that Amtrak hates vegetarians, but one exception is the spicy black bean burger, which is both spicy and tastes like black beans, not like texturized soy protein. I find it best when served with cheese and bacon.

..... love the steak, and I've been lucky as it has always been delivered rare!

..... the lasagna was very tasty

..... like the omelet (with egg substitutes)

..... the French toast has been hit or miss

..... the pancakes were good

..... the Angus burgers were good

..... the veggies burgers were good

..... the sandwich of the day was good .... ham and swiss on rye

..... the absolute WORST items on the train are the desserts ... they are so good

I have to have one at lunch AND dinner (and we do not eat desserts at home!)

(But do not wait for tomorrow to have one, as they have been out of them

on our 2nd day!)

This may be a route-specific offering, but the Zephyr has buffalo (as in bison meat, not spicy 'buffalo' seasoning) meatloaf at times. Definitely worth trying if you get the option-they could plausibly serve that on the Eagle as a special, probably not the Capitol.

Both of your route's menus can be accessed here: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241305537990

That BBQ ribs on the Eagle looks quite inviting, though I've never tried it.

I wouldn't say that the steak is great, but paired with the baked potato it is dependable.

Most of the vegetarian choices make me think that Amtrak hates vegetarians, but one exception is the spicy black bean burger, which is both spicy and tastes like black beans, not like texturized soy protein. I find it best when served with cheese and bacon.
Then it wont be vegeterian now would it?
mosking.gif

Not a fan of their cheese cakes. I just stick to ice cream or sherbet if I want dessert. Or coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shrimp scampe served on the CL last year was good but it tasted more like shrimp creole. I happen to like creole flavoring so it wasn't bad but it wasn't anything close to shrimp scampe. My wife ordered the Chicago steak and she said that it was very good. We never rode the TE so we can't comment there.

It may be the best option on the dinner menu for sleeper passengers, but it's never impressed me much. Nor am I convinced that making any specific request for cooking time has any noticeable effect on how it's actually prepared. The over-cooked veggies that come with it don't help. In any case it's certainly not worth the asking price for coach passengers.

I like railroad toast, and read lots of postitive comments about the Angus Burger.
I enjoyed the French toast more than I expected and it's better than any of the other egg dishes I've tried. However, the Angus Burger has been a universally disappointing experience for me. I didn't even know you could completely screw up a burger, but this one has never once been fresh and juicy. Bland and dry is much closer to how I'd describe it.

Besides the French toast the only other dish that's surprised me in a positive way was the chicken curry & rice. If the "Chef's Marketplace Special" doesn't look appetizing I'll generally skip to one of the desserts or just head back to my seat.
I thought the question was to list your favorites.

:hi: Id say the steak is OK long as you dont have to pay extra for it (ie it's not free but included in the sleeper price but Coach pax pay $22.50, that's overpriced IMO! :eek: ) The Salmon is usually good as are ther Crab Cakes if they have them! Ive enjoyed the Black Bean Burger (it's a little spicey)more than the Angus burger , also the Lunch Sandwich is usually pretty good! All of the deserts except the Cheese Cake, are pretty tasty! Breakfast is probably the best meal IMO, the Omelets are good and filling, the French toast is good too!

As a frequent rider on the Eagle, and as a Texan, gotta tell you the ribs aren't worth it and the brisket sandwich is just edible, real Bar-B-Q is served in the small towns around Austin!! :D Remember on the CL going from CHI-WAS youll have dinner,breakfast and an early brunch if you want in the diner! (it's not announced sometimes, sort of a secret among the OBS and the frequent riders! :excl: )

Says the no-name guest who has no list? :lol:
Guests are immune from the rules. :p

I've always thought that the Angus burger was pretty tasty.

The vegetarian meal when I was on the SWC was a lasagna that was rather good as well.

Not relevant for the OP, but the meals in the PPC on the Starlight were interesting as well.

Amtrak menus aren't all that much different. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the surf and turf dinner served on the AutoTrain. With three dining cars on that train and with 8 or 10 chefs, they have enough people cooking to serve a very good dinner. The other routes that we've traveled the food is very much the same as any other.

As a frequent rider on the Eagle, and as a Texan, gotta tell you the ribs aren't worth it and the brisket sandwich is just edible, real Bar-B-Q is served in the small towns around Austin!!
Good to know! I'm quite the rib fan; my favorite weekend of the year is when the rib cook-off is in town. Several blocks of rib booths from all over, including many from Texas....

As a frequent rider on the Eagle, and as a Texan, gotta tell you the ribs aren't worth it and the brisket sandwich is just edible, real Bar-B-Q is served in the small towns around Austin!!
I agree - that sandwich is awful....

Do you remember the dry-rubs ribs they carried. I think they were out of East Texas somewhere. Those were good

My experience is that the steak is excellent, and what with everything thrown in and no tax being levied on the sale, it comes in about on par with similar steaks of a similar quality (remember, about $1-2 of tax will be heaped on that steak purchase at a normal restaurant, and you won't get free milk with it, either). The way I look at it, I drop $2 off the steak for tax and $2 for milk (and yes, that's what a glass of milk or an order of tea or coffee runs in a lot of places these days). $18.50 on a list price for a steak isn't cheap, but it's not horrid, either, on price alone.

The upshot is that I've always found the steak to be tender and juicy...I've never had a steak that failed to meet or exceed my expectations. This goes for the CL, the LSL, the CZ, and the Silvers (simply put, every LD train I've ever been on). I would honestly choose an Amtrak steak over an equivalent at a regular restaurant (though perhaps not a dedicated, high-end steakhouse...but there, I'm going to pay more for a fancier job than I'd usually expect).

I really enjoyed my steak on the CL last week. It was excellent. The "mixed veggies" weren't all that great.

So far, I've never had a bad meal on Amtrak.

I've had the steak several times and every time it was very good.

Had Rainbow Trout about 3 years ago on the EB and it was the best trout I've ever had anywhere!

For breakfast I usually get the French toast and it's always been good.

I've always had good luck with the Angus Burger also.

When in doubt I go with the half roasted chicken and rice, although the last couple of times I've had the chicken it was very overcooked... just depends on the chef and the convection ovens I guess. The steaks I've had have all been good. And you truly cannot beat the RR French Toast for breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back