FATE OF SUPERLINER LOUNGE CARS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIG WINDOWS

Well now there have been several threads dealing with the new CCC cars, dining service changes, and the like, but nobody has really mentioned the fate of the superliner high window former lounge cars.

One source says they are going to have the windows taken out and replaced with normal coach windows, and normal coach seating. Or will they be mothballed, scrapped, sold? Does anybody know for sure?

Only a few have been taken out of service so far correct? City of New Orleans, and Texas Eagle, all the others are still in service and as far I know will remain in service for the forseeable future. Is amtrak really thinking about getting rid of all the lounges? I thought that was more for just select routes.

At one time the plan was to convert 10 Superliner Dining cars to Diner-Lite cars, and then convert 40 Sightseer Lounge cars to Diner-Lite cars. The last that I've heard, and this is now more than 6 months old, the entire Sightseer Lounge conversion was put on indefinate hold. However, the conversion of the 10 Dining cars has continued with 3 or 4 now out of the shop and on the road.

To my knowledge however, the original plan did not include removing the big Sightseer windows in favor of smaller windows. But again AFAIK, the plan to convert any Sightseer Lounges is still on hold.

Did anyone hear the rumor that some of them may be converted to Coaches? I kind of find it odd that they would be, I figured it is more likely they may be held to be converted to Diner-Lounges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only a few have been taken out of service so far correct? City of New Orleans, and Texas Eagle, all the others are still in service and as far I know will remain in service for the forseeable future. Is amtrak really thinking about getting rid of all the lounges? I thought that was more for just select routes.
The Texas Eagle still has Lounge (Sightseer) cars, at least as of last Friday.

I think it would be a mistake to completely remove them from service, much less convert them to anything other than to update stylings.

I still say the Heartland Flyer needs one !!!!!!!

Yes, the Texas Eagle still has Sightseer lounge cars... only the City of New Orleans is running with the diner-lounges.

I mean once they start building more diner-lounges, it wouldn't surprise me if 21/22 did end up with them too, but for right now they are still on the Texas Eagle.

I hope the Sightseers stay on 21/22 (and the Sunset 1/2). The talk is that since 21 & 22 are normally a 1-night trains, they might put the diner-loungers on them. However, that's not totally true. When I take the Texas Eagle it's usually go to out to Los Angeles... and I'm on the train for 3 nights and parts of 4 days.

It would really stink not to have a lounge car for that long of a trip. (the longest LD route Amtrak runs BTW! -- 421/422)

And wow, I hope they don't mess with the Sightseers at all. Jeez! I mean I usually travel alone and like the seat/window arrangements as they are NOW. I don't want to be forced to sit in a booth in a diner-lounge with other people all the time. I like the single seats in the current Sightseer configurations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back