Family bedroom for one?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ExFlyer

Does anyone know if there are any prohibitions against a single passenger reserving a family bedroom? I am planning a trip on the Embire Builder this fall and the only accomadation available on the date I have to travel is a family bedroom for $272. The price is bearable if they will allow occupancy by a single passenger.

Thanks much for any information and especially thanks much for this forum. A fantastic resource for new train travellers.

Amtrak doesn't have any restrictions against a single passenger booking a family bedroom. Usually these accommodations are priced higher (about the same as a deluxe bedroom) and that alone prevents single passengers from booking the rooms. The deluxes are also a bit more comfortable for a single passenger since they are upstairs with in room facilities, but if a family room is all that's available and its reasonably priced it only makes sense to snatch it (unless of course you are considering other travel dates). Enjoy your trip and thanks for your kind words about our forum. :)

I had the same situation. I actually priced a MKE-VAC round trip for November, and got a fare of $713 with roomettes on the Empire Builder (plus a roomette on the Starlight, SEA-PDX).

When I was ready to book, all sleepers were sold (westbound) except the family room. Total fare for the round trip with a family room westbound: $723.

You wouldn't happen to be leaving Chicago on November 18 or 19, would you?

When I traveled to New Orleans about a year ago, I upgraded to a family room from two roomettes so my buddy and I could be in the same room. The windows are much smaller than in a normal rooom. This was one drawback in my mind.

If you call Amtrak's 1800 number each morning (early) you might get a roomette that was released do to a canceled reservation, or a ticket that was not picked up by the deadline.

You could book the family room, and then keep trying to get a rooomette. I do not think that you will be charged a change fee, and you will like the roomette better because it has a larger window.

I was told that a group had booked all rooms (except the family room), all cars, both days on the Empire Builder (that would be trains 7 and 27 originating Chicago on 18 and 19 November). I doubt that any rooms would be opening up soon.

Steve4031 said:
When I traveled to New Orleans about a year ago, I upgraded to a family room from two roomettes so my buddy and I could be in the same room.  The windows are much smaller than in a normal rooom.  This was one drawback in my mind.  
The family room has a single paned window, whereas the roomettes and the Bedroom have a double paned windows. The double pane give more depth to your view.

However the family room does offer the advantage of being one of only two bedrooms on the train that actually has a window on each side of the train, the other is the handicapped room. Yes in a Bedroom, one can usually still see out the window in the hall, but you have to keep your bedroom door open to do that.

I am leaving Chicago Oct. 2. Really surprized to hear all roomettes are also booked for November 18th.

Looking forward to the trip even if it is in the family bedroom...I do appreciate all the information. I will book and hope something else opens before leaving or on board.

I retired a year ago from a job that had me on a plane at least once a week and vowed to make future travel enjoyable whenever possible. Did enjoy a round trip on the Coast Starlight last fall. The parlor car is great...wish they could put on more, but guess the first wish has to be for the survival of Amtrak for all the reasons mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

Back