Fall Double Points Promo?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
Historically AGR has offered double points in the fall. I'm pretty sure it starts around Labor Day and lasts till Thanksgiving time.

Any buzz about if this will happen? Hopefully us AU'ers get a chance to get some extra points! ;)

One year they had a promotion that gave double points towards select plus status. Sure would love that this year because I am lagging.
Generally that's a targeted promotion offered to those who had status in the past year, were lagging behind and possibly not going to re-qualify in the current year.

One year they had a promotion that gave double points towards select plus status. Sure would love that this year because I am lagging.
Generally that's a targeted promotion offered to those who had status in the past year, were lagging behind and possibly not going to re-qualify in the current year.
That's me. I got about 3600 agr points.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's me. I got about 3600 agr points.
If you're not past the halfway point to re-qualifying, it's very unlikely that you'd be given the offer. I think that they generally look for those who are only 2,000 to 3,000 away from the goal.

Darn. I have so e nice trips planned for October and November. A ride out to Seattle on 7 for Columbus Day, flying back Monday night. And 30 chi-was, acela was-nyp, and 49 nyp-chi for Veterans Day weekend.

I am pleased. It will cover 3 trips of mine. ORL-CHI, CHI-ORL (Gathering) and on 10/31 ORL-PHL :) (any maybe even some points runs since I hear that an AU member from New Jersey will be moving to Florida sometime this Fall)

Yessssss... that covers a trip in Sept, the Gathering, and whatever else I can squeeze in.

Hertz has quadruple points until Dec 31. :eek:

Glad to hear Amtrak is doing it at all. I just booked six short trips on the Keystone trains for September and October. $66 and 2400 points. It's a bit better than buying points, plus the fact I can actually ride the train. I'm at 16,000 points. Looking to get 20,000 for a two zone roomette next year.

Last years Double Days lasted longer. Is AGR getting stingy? :angry:
Well, they are offering the chance to accumulate points at twice the normal level. Doesn't sound stingy

to me. When's the last time your favorite airline frequent flyer program offered system-wide double points?

<crickets>

Thought so.

So even if this year's double points promotion is shorter, it still represents a generous giveaway IMHO. Let's

not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Well, they are offering the chance to accumulate points at twice the normal level. Doesn't sound stingy

to me. When's the last time your favorite airline frequent flyer program offered system-wide double points?
Southwest Airlines had a double-miles promotion for credit card holders that ended August 31, so I guess the answer is 5 days.

Still, I agree that there's no point in complaining that the gift horse is long in the tooth.

Southwest Airlines had a double-miles promotion for credit card holders that ended August 31, so I guess the answer is 5 days.
Okay, fair enough. But the SWA credit card has a $69 annual fee, and obviously not everyone carries it, so I wouldn't

quite call that "system-wide." (Geographically yes, but not in terms of actual customers).

The only time I can remember system-wide double miles on an airline is usually when they enter or exit bankruptcy!

Okay, fair enough. But the SWA credit card has a $69 annual fee, and obviously not everyone carries it, so I wouldn't

quite call that "system-wide." (Geographically yes, but not in terms of actual customers).

The only time I can remember system-wide double miles on an airline is usually when they enter or exit bankruptcy!
There was a double-points promo earlier this summer for all passengers (no credit card required) on SWA as well. It ended June 15, and I earned double miles on one segment due to that.

Back