Extremely limited accessibility service at Route 128

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi:

As many of you know I live outside Boston in the metrowest 'burb and I work in downtown Boston. I will spare you the details of the absolutely horrid conditions of the MBTA since that is off-topic, however, I have a related Amtrak issue regarding station conditions.

Today I decided to depart from my normal commuter rail line and opt to go to 128 which is a combined Amtrak/MBTA stop. I thought I was doing fine - I found a spot to park despite the limited availability. Until I tried to get to the tracks.

Inside the station, one elevator is completely masked off with CAUTION tape. The escalator going to the second level (which you need to get to use the bridge to cross over to Track 2 for all incoming trains both Amtrak and commuter trains) was out. I took the remaining elevator up, walked across the bridge to find out that the elevator down to track 2 was not working *AND* the escalator to Track 2 was not working.

Now, as it happens, there was an Amtrak station attendant coming up the stairs as I attempted to hobble with my cane down the 2nd flights of stairs. He saw me and told me to be careful and before I could say another word he told me to contact the *STATE* to complain about the problems.

I am more than happy to oblige -- but three thoughts occurred to me:

1.Why is there NO mention of the elevator and escalator outages on the Amtrak service interruptions pages of their website --and who can I complain to about that to fix immediately? There was a poor man with a cane and a huge suitcase struggling up the steps and he was furious! He was an Amtrak passenger I am sure.

2. On the MBTA website, there is a service alert about the *elevator* being out to Track 2 (which is what the inbound commuter rail trains uses) but *NOTHING* about the other elevators or escalators. (In fact, I think the escalator is out on the Track 1 -- which has been a forever thing.)

The T website says if passengers get off at 128, they should ask a MBTA conductor to help them get to a shuttle *OR* ask a station attendant. Well, there are no MBTA attendants at 128 unless they mean the Amtrak attendants and one of them told me to contact the STATE!

3. I am beyond furious. Can anyone provide me with insights into the best way to get someone to fix this stuff? I know I can complain to Amtrak customer service but that won't be an immediate thing.

if this is off-topic, please tell me where to move my post or kindly move it for me.

Thank you!

- Jackie

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie, if I had encountered this situation I would probably be in contact with my State Senator's office. They seem to be able to accomplish things other cannot, especially in that this requires an immediate fix

The other day a ton of commuters boarded 66 at 128 and just stood in the aisles on the way into the city. The entire region is a disaster right now.

The escalator on the NB platform has not worked for over a year at least...maybe 2 years...I was told some story about poor initial installation and then a fight over who was responsible....MBTA vs Amtrak...etc

Jackie, if you can't get any satisfaction from whoever owns the station, you might consider getting an "On Your Side" type of consumer reporter involved. Your story sounds like one they would be interested in, and publicity from them might prod some action. Beyond that, an ADA lawsuit (or threat of one) from a lawyer knowledgeable in disability law, might be your next step.

Charlie beat me to it but I'd suggest getting in touch with one of the local tv stations or The Globe or The Herald (or heck both and a tv station.) From my experience the best way to surpass government inaction is to get the media involved.

Everyone: An update.

1. Called my senator's office.

2. Spoke to train personnel at station re: shuttle/bus. They had no idea (and the woman I spoke with is very nice! I have spoken to her in the past and she has helped me with travel so I know if she didn't know it...she really didn't know!)

3. I called my local TV channel.

I also tried to call Amtrak customer service but the wait time is too long. I will try to send an email via Julie online and draft a letter to Boardman. I am hoping I get some resolution before then, however.

Thanks for all the good ideas!

-Jackie

Well, I guess better later than never...

I guess my complaining worked...but why does it take so LONG?? :unsure:

Elevator and Escalator Outages Affects Northbound Passengers Arriving at Route 128 Westwood, MA Effective Until Further Notice Elevator and Escalator Project to BeginAmtrak and MBTA are actively working to address the escalator and elevator issues at the Route 128 Station. Replacement and reconstruction of the elevator and the escalator is scheduled to start shortly after March 25, 2015, with work on the elevator anticipated to be completed by mid-August and the replacement of the escalator expected to be finished by early February in 2016.

The elevator serving Platform 2 will need to be removed from service for a period of time during this project. At which time, van service will be provided for passengers who need assistance. Platform 2 is used by all northbound Amtrak trains arriving at Route 128, from stations including Providence, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC.

Northbound Passengers Who Are Unable to Climb StairsWhen the elevator is out of service, northbound passengers arriving at Route 128 on the Track 2 platform must use the stairway to gain access to the station and parking garage. Passengers who are unable to walk up the stairway should notify an Amtrak crew member on the train, before their train departs the Providence station. The crew member will make arrangements for passengers to be transported from Platform 2 to the station and garage. Amtrak station personnel will be available to assist passengers on the platform. Passengers may also call station personnel on duty at 781-751-5102.

We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. Reservation and train status information is available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps and at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

PSN 0315-78

Elevator and especially escalator maintenance/replacement projects at rail stations (intercity, commuter, heavy/light, etc) seem to take absurdly long to complete. I'm sure we can come up with myriad reasons for this, whether (unnecessarily?) complex designs, exposure to the elements, and so on, but it does suggest that redundancy might be rather important - having two elevators wherever possible, so it's likely that at least one remains in service.

At one time a road bridge was adjacent to the station and was used to reach the other side of the tracks by both pedestrians and vehicles.The bridge abutments are still there, however, the roadway was removed . Now, the on call accessible van must travel 4.7 miles in a heavy traffic area to reach the other side of the tracks. This is the reason for calling ahead from Providence for the accessible van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back