Excess Carry-on Baggage Fee Began October 1, 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I boarded a VIA train from Toronto to Montreal (by way - see what I did there - of Ottawa) last year, all passengers with luggage were required to have bags weighed. Since I was within weight, but had three bags to carry aboard, I was offered an option of either checking one of my pieces (on tomorrow's direct train) for free and picking it up at Gare Central or paying an extra fee to have it tagged as extra baggage and carry it aboard. Since the window of pickup for packages in Montreal was so narrow the next day, I shelled out the extra fare with resignation. (Almost as much as my ticket, itself.)

This is, ultimately, the only way in which I can see the new policy being effectively enforced, with consistency and fairness.

Otherwise, I really think it is a matter of why not leave well enough alone.
This, on the other hand, is why weight shouldn't be a issue. If NS was carrying all his own luggage, why penalize him? Why make it free to encumber resources later?

NorthShore, that makes eminent sense to me. Which probably indicates that this is not something that will happen on Amtrak. Cynical? Moi? :)
To which I say, this DOESN'T make sense to me, which is why Amtrak probably WILL do it. :p

perhaps Men should bring back the murse . Ummm man-purse... Ummm satchel . ;)
Excellent point Peter!
A daypack is a man's version of a purse,so it shouldn't count.

Also, since Amtrak allows carry on Food and drink, coolers and food bags shouldn't count in the carry on allowance either,especially on trains with No food service like the Hiawathas,theEmpire Service Trains NYP-ALB! (and now the Star!) YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent point Peter!

Also, since Amtrak allows carry on Food and drink, coolers and food bags shouldn't count in the carry on allowance either,especially on trains with No food service like the Hiawathas,theEmpire Service Trains NYP-ALB! (and now the Star and the "Chicken Bone Express!") YMMV
Well, for probably the last 7 or 8 years, ever since I swapped out my "roller-board" style suitcase for an LL Bean "backpack" style suitcase, (Hands are always fee this way!) I have never, ever, not once, while boarding an aircraft, (United, Continental, Delta, SWA) had my LL Bean backpack "count" as a carry on. I've boarded, in fact most times, with laptop bag, small duffell bag, and bag of food and/or bag of recent purchases (made in airport) and wearing backpack. I think the "wearing" is the operative word, as the gate agents typically don't "see" the bag being pulled/pushed, or in your hands.

Hey, it's worked out GREAT for me. What works for you?

Personally, I don't have any problem with the new luggage rules/enforcement. But I think the "enforcement" will be the issue.

There will be bumps in the early staging, no doubt, but seeing how much revenue it can bring in, vs. the small loss of passengers/goodwill, it's a no-brainer IMHO.

I just don't see this generating that much revenue on trains without baggage cars. I think a lot of people will just carry lighter loads, which is also a win.

Excellent point Peter!

Also, since Amtrak allows carry on Food and drink, coolers and food bags shouldn't count in the carry on allowance either,especially on trains with No food service like the Hiawathas,theEmpire Service Trains NYP-ALB! (and now the Star!) YMMV
Well, If they start counting daypacks, camera bags, man-purses, etc., wear your jacket over the offending item until you are settled in. If they start counting daypacks but not camera bags (as an example), then obtain a large camera bag for your small camera, which you put in your pocket. This is one reason counting small items carried personally seems so silly.

These are all well known issues and techniques in airline travel. they will be no different here. Multitude of really small pieces will be overlooked (at the discretion of the enforcer) just like they are in air travel.

Deterrence both good and bad. A friend of mine was dating a guy that needed a portable dialysis machine that wasn't overly large, but weighed 75 pounds. He was perfectly capable of handling it himself, but never wanted to take the train out of fear of being denied boarding for a device that only he was going to handle.

Maybe this will improve the boarding experience at my home terminal. I'd think that if this wasn't your first trip out of St. Louis you'd contain yourself to less than Carry On allowance/check luggage for the TE. I just don't get why you'd subject yourself to going up, over, and down(escalator/stairs/elevator) to the platform overloaded with bags.

Given that the policy as written is an illegal ADA violation, I really hope the conductors are trained to understand what the ADA *actually* requires. "This bag is needed to accomodate my disability" should cause conductors to apologize and shut up.

We'll see.

you would think 60 mass would have there legal team check every word they print.

* sigh*

Neroden.....

I feel bad for the conductors . they have to learn the laws that are paramount to trains . Its not fair IMO to have them to be Civil rights experts too. . they have enough to do...

We need train cheifs again . some kinda Grand Poo-bah that has non tech but equle powers as the conductor.

"This bag is needed to accomodate my disability" should cause conductors to apologize and shut up.
That sounds like an easy and painless way for virtually anyone to abuse the rules.
CPAPs and oxygen generators and portable medical devices generally are not counted toward carry-on limits on the airlines. TSA and gate agents know that. No reason why Amtrak personnel shouldn't. They are at least as bright as the average TSA agent.

... especially if Amtrak can ever figure out trainside checked baggage service and carry-on or roll-on bicycle service.
Interestingly enough, Amtrak has figured out train side checked baggage at MTP, FMD, and NEW, and carry-on or roll-on bicycle service on Illinois, North Carolina, California, Oregon, and Washington trains, and on at least one Michigan train.

But regarding bikes, I assumed you are wondering whether Amtrak will ever figure out how to use the bike racks in the new baggage cars for anything other than a hat rack.

... especially if Amtrak can ever figure out trainside checked baggage service and carry-on or roll-on bicycle service.
Interestingly enough, Amtrak has figured out train side checked baggage at MTP, FMD, and NEW, and carry-on or roll-on bicycle service on Illinois, North Carolina, California, Oregon, and Washington trains, and on at least one Michigan train.

But regarding bikes, I assumed you are wondering whether Amtrak will ever figure out how to use the bike racks in the new baggage cars for anything other than a hat rack.

In addition, the Heartland Flyer is preparing to to carry bikes. As for the new bike racks, I guess they must have figured something out since they are offering aSpecial Walk-up Bike service on select Regionals to Richmond VA next month.

So, it is working its way forward. If you've followed the Viewliner II thread, you'd know there are complications in the is area. Currently, only a handful of the bags have the appropriate mod to carry the bikes.

I am curious where the bikes will go on the Heartland Flyer as it currently carries no Coach-Bag. I guess either they will modify the consist to include one or figure a way to hoist them into the NPCU (but I have no idea how large the baggage cavity is on that).

But however it works out it is a great idea. Now I can day trip to FTW and expand my area of wandering.

It's too bad they can't figure out how to make the HF useful for visiting OKC in addition to FTW. I'd like to see the Spurs take on the Thunder while we're both legitimate contenders but none of the options for getting there is very appealing. I-35 is heavily congested and extremely boring, the small town speeding taxes are in the stratosphere, and inviting the TSA into my life for a trip that short feels ridiculous. It would be nice to have another option if they can ever figure it out.

It's too bad they can't figure out how to make the HF useful for visiting OKC in addition to FTW. I'd like to see the Spurs take on the Thunder but none of the options for getting there is very appealing. I-35 is extremely boring and heavily congested, the Podunk speeding tax is in the stratosphere, and inviting the TSA into my life for a trip that short feels ridiculous. It would be nice to have another option if they can ever figure it out.
As they used to say once upon a time "Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us"? :)

I am curious where the bikes will go on the Heartland Flyer as it currently carries no Coach-Bag. I guess either they will modify the consist to include one or figure a way to hoist them into the NPCU (but I have no idea how large the baggage cavity is on that).

But however it works out it is a great idea. Now I can day trip to FTW and expand my area of wandering.
The following says that they're apparently going to set aside enough space to 12 bikes and reservations are needed. The video gets cut off before the reporter finishes though.

http://www.kten.com/category/226290/video-landing-page?clipId=11762714&autostart=true

http://www.ardmoreite.com/article/20150812/NEWS/150819942

This shows a Superliner that was modified for vertical bike racks. Maybe that's what they've done?

http://www.vabike.org/bike-test-amtrak-capitol-limited/

There were lengthy (and scripted) announcements this morning in Seattle's King Street Station about the new baggage rules. The funniest line was "if you can't lift it over your head, it's too heavy." I didn't see much change in actual operations, though.

From the topic title I expected to find a problem. Then I read this:

Amtrak will begin charging at stations and onboard trains for excess carry on bags effective October 1. The carry on bag policy is two small personal items measuring 14x11x7 and under 25lbs each and two carry on items measuring 28x22x15 and under 50 pounds.
I can't imagine needing that much luggage unless I was moving house. This is my typical 'round the world' baggage; the second bag is only for long trips:

DSCF2262.JPG

How do I make pictures smaller?

There were lengthy (and scripted) announcements this morning in Seattle's King Street Station about the new baggage rules. The funniest line was "if you can't lift it over your head, it's too heavy." I didn't see much change in actual operations, though.
The conductor's announcement on 43 (27) about opening the cafe car included a long announcement about the new baggage rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back