Excess Carry-on Baggage Fee Began October 1, 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the folks who joined Amtrak to get away from the airport obstacle course will eventually return to the airlines or simply drive as the trickle down process continues. I can imagine Mica saying "I'm not satisfied until you're not satisfied."

Last edited by a moderator:
This potentially raises revenue, but I don't see how it reduces costs. Making a profit it not a sensible goal for Amtrak, , reducing losses is.
Revenue from baggage fees is currently at $693,000 a year. They are projecting increasing that. They see a potential of from $8,000,000 to $20,000,000.

I wonder what percentage of Amtrak customers will actually run afoul of any of the baggage policy. If my cursory eyeballing of what passengers generally seem to bring along as baggage is any indication, specially on the corridor trains, it will probably be a rather small percentage of the Amtrak customers who will run into any issues at all.

But I still wonder if someone has actually looked into doing such a projection within Amtrak or otherwise.

You are required to tag them with your name and address.
I have never seen that on Capitol Corridor unless it was a bag that had already been used as an airline carry on. It sort of defies normal logic when it's a primarily commuter line like corridor services. In fact few bring large carry on, except maybe college students or those commuting only once a week between home and work.

Heck, on the CS I didn't mark anything I bought on board. It was just a computer bag and a small cooler.

US airlines are pocketing around 3.5 Billion each year on luggage fees alone. All you have to do to drive the revenue up is keep shrinking the acceptable size and weight. Eventually everyone will be paying excess baggage fees. The point in time specifics are irrelevant. It's the trend that tells the story.

You are required to tag them with your name and address.
I have never seen that on Capitol Corridor unless it was a bag that had already been used as an airline carry on. It sort of defies normal logic when it's a primarily commuter line like corridor services. In fact few bring large carry on, except maybe college students or those commuting only once a week between home and work.

Heck, on the CS I didn't mark anything I bought on board. It was just a computer bag and a small cooler.
Oddly enough the baggage tagging thing comes from your friendly DHS as a requirement to follow to keep the TSA and VIPER off Amtrak, at least for the moment. So if it is not being followed and enforced that gives the DHS gang a path back onto Amtrak. So be careful. Don;t publicise your exploits too much in this area. ;)

ADA required medical stuff is still exempt from excess-baggage charges, *regardless* of whether you have a "mobility impaired fare". By federal law; anything else would constitute illegal discrimination.

I assume Amtrak is still trying to comply with the ADA, and if they aren't, it would be a fun and easy-to-win lawsuit.

This includes, for instance, a CPAP machine when travelling overnight.

Or my food supply, since Amtrak refuses to reliably provide food I am not allergic to onboard.

On my next trip, we'll be taking a CPAP and a bag of food in addition to our regular carry-ons, and neither will count as "excess" because they're both ADA-required. We'll see whether Amtrak decides to invite a lawsuit. I'm guessing they will not decide to invite a lawsuit.

I don't mind paying a fee myself...I tend to bring one large bag onboard with clothes and snacks and booze (on a sleeper car obviously.) I'd rather pay a fee than not be allowed to bring on the stuff that makes my LD trip more pleasant.

Although it doesn't say it anywhere, Amtrak seems to be generally tightening their policy enforcement, and I could see that they might start asking for disability documentation one of these days. Even if they only want the documentation regarding non-visible disabilities, it could be discriminatory unless they also ask for obvious disabilities.
It's discriminatory to even ask for documentation. That's actually established law now...

They're allowed to ask you what accomodation you require and why. (For instance, I require the accomodation of bringing enough of my own food to cover the entire trip, at no extra "baggage" charge, because Amtrak refuses to provide food on board which I can verify that I am not allergic to. Anyone with a CPAP prescription requires the accomodation of carrying the CPAP without any extra "baggage charge". Et cetera.)

I would like to assume that Amtrak is actually NOT trying to be idiotic and lawbreaking about this, but is really just trying to deal with the "take seventy suitcases" folks. I've watched people blatantly exceeding the luggage limits -- trying to carry on two tandem strollers, in one memorable example -- with no medical or disability reason whatsoever and no attempt to claim one.

US airlines are pocketing around 3.5 Billion each year on luggage fees alone. All you have to do to drive the revenue up is keep shrinking the acceptable size and weight. Eventually everyone will be paying excess baggage fees. The point in time specifics are irrelevant. It's the trend that tells the story.
Yes, but there's also sheer volume on the airline industry side. I think $3.5bn equals an average of about $4/passenger. Granted, on Amtrak that would be $120m (30m pax), but Amtrak has a huge number of commuter passengers (basically toss this for the Keystones, Shuttles, etc.).

While I understand the point of this in coach, the idea of being charged for a bag that is in my room gets way under my skin.

(Also at issue: Does this apply on a per-leg basis or a per-one-way-trip basis? $20 once on a trip is one thing; having that add up to $60-80 for a single bag over several legs? That's a problem.)

Another aspect to remember is that baggage fees can be applied to point redemptions just as easily as they are to tickets purchased with cash. As the luggage rules tighten Amtrak can increase their reach dramatically and help ensure that nearly everyone is forking over at least a little cash, regardless of how they got there. Avoiding ever more restrictive luggage rules will eventually become a major selling point for maintaining status.

I wonder if the folks who joined Amtrak to get away from the airport obstacle course will eventually return to the airlines or simply drive as the trickle down process continues. I can imagine Mica saying "I'm not satisfied until you're not satisfied."
Why would Mica care so much about Amtrak's baggage fees? Far as I could tell, he was focusing on F&B services, not Amtrak as a whole. Furthermore, Mica isn't really in a position of power like he used to be over Amtrak (unless something has changed or I've heard/understood wrong.)

I don't see Amtrak getting as strict as the legacy airlines on baggage fees. Even $20 million in revenue would be only 66 cents per trip. Considering this can include an excess checked baggage fee, excess carry-on baggage fee, carry-on bike fee (if they charge that,) carry on pet fee, and other specialty luggage fees, I would not be surprised if one out of every 30 trips has some sort of baggage fee (and the average would be $20.) The low end of $8 million is very believable, especially if Amtrak can ever figure out trainside checked baggage service and carry-on or roll-on bicycle service.

8M to 20M in revenue from baggage fees? I think they are crazy. Maybe an extra $400-500,000, but 8-20M? No way.
Did they legalize pot in DC?
The suits must be toking up @ 60 Mass to float numbers like that! No way Jose!

These are the same folks who promised the Mica Managers in Congress that Amtrak would cease to lose money on Food and Beverages within 4 years!

If they're really going to use those moronic luggage sizers for carryons then maybe it IS time for Amtrak to go away, or at least their management. One inch out disqualifying may make sense on an airplane, but not on a train.

Tomorrow We will be boarding train 66 from NPN to BOS. Our carry on items include : small roll on suitcase that I have used on an airplane, an LL Bean canvas tote bag for snacks and drinks, a small backpack instead of a purse, a small duffel bag ( within posted size limits, a computer bag, a CPAP bag, and a small suit bag. Do you think that we will be able to board with these items? We could check the suit bag.

Tomorrow We will be boarding train 66 from NPN to BOS. Our carry on items include : small roll on suitcase that I have used on an airplane, an LL Bean canvas tote bag for snacks and drinks, a small backpack instead of a purse, a small duffel bag ( within posted size limits, a computer bag, a CPAP bag, and a small suit bag. Do you think that we will be able to board with these items? We could check the suit bag.
If there's at least two people, there should be no problems with that. CPAP wouldn't count anyways, and it looks like you're under the "4 bags per person" rule.

If they're really going to use those moronic luggage sizers for carryons then maybe it IS time for Amtrak to go away, or at least their management. One inch out disqualifying may make sense on an airplane, but not on a train.
They've been using them for years already.

For instance, here's Pittsburgh's waiting room. Its partially cut off on the right side of the image, just to the right of the ticket machine. Its been there at least five years.

ukRWVvi.jpg

At least I think that's it. Its right next to the Quik Trak machine and about ten feet from baggage check, from memory.

Thank you jebr. There are two of us, so I am not worried now. I appreciate your thoughts.

Why would Mica care so much about Amtrak's baggage fees? Far as I could tell, he was focusing on F&B services, not Amtrak as a whole.
In reality Mica doesn't really care about food, or beverages, or luggage. Those complaints are nothing more than a means to an end. What Mica really cares about it defunding the bulk of the national network and handing the NEC over to a private entity. This has been Mica's official position for years now but just in case it's still not clear here is one of Mica's quotes from a couple months ago.

"Congress is not going to give Amtrak any more money," Mica said. "It's time to stop the Amtrak Soviet-style monopoly, open passenger rail to private-sector competition, improve those lines where we don't have curves and poorly-operated systems and bring us into the 21st century of passenger rail."
Link: http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/amtrak-train-crash-john-mica/2015/05/14/id/644744/

Furthermore, Mica isn't really in a position of power like he used to be over Amtrak (unless something has changed or I've heard/understood wrong.)
Mica by himself is relatively harmless. Mica as a booster among several similarly minded politicians is potentially dangerous to Amtrak.

I don't see Amtrak getting as strict as the legacy airlines on baggage fees. Even $20 million in revenue would be only 66 cents per trip.
Logically, once you start down this path there is no obvious disincentive to continue raising the fee unless and until the act of increasing the fee any further begins to overwhelm the ability or willingness of the customer to pay. In that sense Amtrak would face a situation that is very similar to what the airlines have already experienced. Over a long enough timeline Amtrak would logically be expected to eventually reach similar pricing levels. It's really no different than how Amtrak have continued to raise the fare buckets for many years now. The only difference is that the airlines have discovered you can charge more overall by dividing the total cost among multiple transactions separated by time.

Who cares if it delays the train? Amtrak doesn't promise departure or arrival at a specific time and doesn't bother with refunds. Money is money and Amtrak needs to reduce costs on their way to earning a profit.

:rolleyes:

Amtrak has paid for my hotel stays in DC and Chicago 3 times already this year. The main reason was delayed trains causing me to miss my connecting Amtrak train. More delays means more passengers missing their connections.

I'm sure it costs Amtrak money to pay for my hotel rooms. In Chicago, they had to put me up at the Hyatt Regency in June. They also paid for the taxi ride and dinner/breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back