Etiquette in a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saturn04

Train Attendant
I will be in my fist roomette in less than a month, and wanted to know if it is okay to listen to music at a reasonable volume without headphones, or should I still use them?

I listen to music and movies in my roomette at a reasonable volume up until 10PM. No one has ever complained.

So i guess my boom box with bass boost playing "Do Ya Wanna Funk" is out of the question...
I'D be okay with that, but I can't speak for your other neighbors. :)

I just remembered that was in Trading Places, so it's sort of train-related. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use your headphones!!! I was about to murder my next door neighbor for listening to his scanner without headphones at all hours of the night and day. It was just annoying with the constant squawking.

I listen to music and movies in my roomette at a reasonable volume up until 10PM. No one has ever complained.
That's because they didn't want to create a scene. See a post in a recent similar thread:

quiet.jpg

I don't mind hearing a little music at a low level during waking hours from another room, but I can't stand to hear people in the next room talking. And, yes, I can hear you whisper, too. So please, pass notes back and forth and refrain from talking.

It depends somewhat on the device being used. An iphone or iPod without headphones would probably not disturb most passengers. Those portable travel speakers that are now available are powerful and could easily disturb other passengers.

When the train us moving there is usually enough ambient noise to limit disruption to other passengers. If the train is stopped and head end power is off, not the best time to be listening to jungle fever by the chakakas.

So i guess my boom box with bass boost playing "Do Ya Wanna Funk" is out of the question...
I'D be okay with that, but I can't speak for your other neighbors. :)

I just remembered that was in Trading Places, so it's sort of train-related. ;)
I still have the episode of "Trading Spaces" from about 10 years ago (when Paige Davis was the host) in which a bedroom in one of the houses was remodeled to look like a Pullman compartment. This is something that immediately went onto my own bucket list. I believe that Doug Wilson was the designer of this Pullman room look-alike. And the owners LOVED it -- at least the male of the species loved it.

:) Great post, fairviewroad.

Actually, I don't understand why, if you really want to appreciate music (as opposed to just sinking into some great noise), you would not use headphones - not just to avoid annoying your neighbors, but to reduce the ambient noise; which already makes it difficult to listen to music on a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back