Empty Passenger Cars on the Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
I frequently hangout at the HFY station to watch the Capitol Limited #30 arrive and depart. On 12/12 and again today 12/15 there were unoccupied passenger cars positioned in the front of the consist between the locomotive and baggage car. All of the cars displayed the Amtrak logo. I asked the coach attendant on 12/12 where the passenger cars were going and he simply stated they were deadheading east. Out of curiosity, anyone have an idea where they were heading? The cars on 12/12 definitely looked like they were out of service.

I am a neophyte when it comes to train equipment. On the 12/12 train, there were two single level cars that had a non-metallic exterior look to it. It could be best described as a grayish appearance. The windows were not as big as the coach car windows I am accustomed seeing on the NEC regional coach cars. They were more of a narrower rectangular shape. On the 12/15 train, there was one single level car and the exterior this time displayed a metallic look to it. I believe it was labeled as a "First Class Conference Car". Anyone familiar with the cars I saw? I need to start bringing my camera with me to the station!!!

Amfleet I cars are regually used in the Midwest and California every day. I am thinking that the cars you saw might be going somewhere to add cars to consists (as was stated in the ARRA thing).

Maybe just maybe the 2 single level cars were diners heading to New York to be used on the LSL. Why they would be on the CL and not a train that directly serves New York I can't say.

Maybe just maybe the 2 single level cars were diners heading to New York to be used on the LSL. Why they would be on the CL and not a train that directly serves New York I can't say.
That sounds like a pair of Horizons and the Metroliner conference car.
Then why were the between the power and the train and not on the end?

When I've seen the executive cars, they're always run on the back of the CL. Even if they're deadheaded--

The Horizons aren't used for executive trains. So they were just dead heading.

But the Metroliner conference car could also have been deadheading. It doesn't always have to carry an exec.

Yes GML, but if it were being deadheaded it is likely they put it on the rear. They always put it on the rear, even when deadheaded. I've seen it and the BG on the CL five times, three of which it was unoccupied and being deadheaded. It was on the rear. I'm not sure it matters, but it looks nicer being deadheaded on the rear than up front.

Alright, Micah, you may have a point. I don't see the Capitol Limited often. But its the only car I know of on the system with that legend.

Yes GML, but if it were being deadheaded it is likely they put it on the rear. They always put it on the rear, even when deadheaded. I've seen it and the BG on the CL five times, three of which it was unoccupied and being deadheaded. It was on the rear. I'm not sure it matters, but it looks nicer being deadheaded on the rear than up front.
Aloha

ALC I think what you are saying is normal but where they were picked up, or are going to be set out may have made it easier to be different this time. One reason I can think of would be an engine change location where those cars would stay with the original engines and the working train gets new power. I don't know the route of the train but one location I can think of would be a power change in WAShington DC for Electric/Diesel, or such.

That may be possible Eric, but for the same reason it might be better on the rear... It's easier to pull it on and off. I don't know where the executive cars came up--

As for 9800, the OP didn't specify if it was deadheaded in the middle... OP said these two Horizons were in the middle but didn't specify the location of 9800.

That may be possible Eric, but for the same reason it might be better on the rear... It's easier to pull it on and off. I don't know where the executive cars came up--
As for 9800, the OP didn't specify if it was deadheaded in the middle... OP said these two Horizons were in the middle but didn't specify the location of 9800.
As stated originally, I am quite a novice when it comes to identifying train cars and equipment. If the 9800 is the First Class Conference Car, the consist were the two locomotives, followed by the Conference Car, Baggage Car, Transdorm, Sleeper, etc. This consist was the same for the two Horizon cars. They were located after the locomotives and before the baggage car.

I am down at the HFY station on the average around three times a week and have been doing this regularly since I retired back in February 2008. This is the first time I can remember seeing this unsual consist with the unoccupied passenger cars at the front of the train. On the otherhand, I see the executive cars on numerous occasions during this time period at the back of the train as previous posters have indicated.

In the future, I will do a better job in providing pictures and if possible car numbers to any unusual cars on the consist.

Thanks to all posters for the education.

This past Sunday I was on the METRO Red Line heading towards Shady Grove. On the section from Twinbrook to Rockville we were pacing #29. Right behind the engines there was a Horizon car. Since we were running at almost the same speed it gave me the chance to take a good look. The Horizon car was empty, the windows were sparkling clean as if new glass had been installed. I occasionally watch from Boyds and this is the first time I've seen a Horizon car. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to note the car number.

we have been hauling dh horizon cars for the past week. 9800 had to go to Beech Grove to ge some small work done to it. DH amfleets and horizons have to go up front because of the diaphram issue. All of Amtraks exec cars CAN go on the back since they installed tube3lar diaphrams just like regular private cars. The practice of putting dh cars ahead of the bag car is done so the car cannot be used for revenue service at all. Sometimes on 29 out of DC you will see an Amfleet coach between the baggage car and the step-down car. This is done when one of the Superliner cars are shopped.

we have been hauling dh horizon cars for the past week. 9800 had to go to Beech Grove to ge some small work done to it. DH amfleets and horizons have to go up front because of the diaphram issue. All of Amtraks exec cars CAN go on the back since they installed tube3lar diaphrams just like regular private cars. The practice of putting dh cars ahead of the bag car is done so the car cannot be used for revenue service at all. Sometimes on 29 out of DC you will see an Amfleet coach between the baggage car and the step-down car. This is done when one of the Superliner cars are shopped.
Thanks for filling in the blanks. BTW, caught #30 this morning in HFY and it was the usual consist.

I don't believe any of the explanations or excuses posted above. No, I think some special arrangements were being made for the_traveler. :D

OK, you heard it, everyone! Keep your eyes peeled for any PV dome or round-ended observation cars where and when you'd least expect them! If you do, you-know-who may be there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back