Empire to go over high tressle bridges?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

Does the Empire go over high tressle bridges? You know the scarry ones that you could fall a long way if it went off the bridge?

Gingee,

I know you're afraid of those high tressle bridges, so you're not going to like to hear that the Empire Builder does go over some of them. I can think of three really high ones off of the top of my head: Minot, ND; Cutbank, MT; and Spokane, WA.

Now, you don't have to worry about falling off of the bridge in the extremely slim chance that a derailment happens. First, the train travels slowly across these bridges, so the engineer would have time to hit the emergency brakes and stop the train before anything fell off. Second, the railroad (BNSF in these cases) puts a couple of supports between the tracks to catch the wheels if they do leave the rail. These supports stop the cars from moving too far in either direction, so they'll stay on the bridge in the unlikely event of a derailment. Think of them as the railroad version of the guard rails on automotive bridges.

The Empire Builder does indeed cross over several TALL trestles/bridges on its route from Chicago to Seattle. One is the crossing over the Mississippi River between La Crosse (WI) and Winona (MN). Another is at Minot (ND) over Gasman Coulee. There is one near Cut Bank (MT) and at least four while passing through spectacular Glacier National Park: one very famous one (I've seen lots of photos and paintings) is at Two Medicine River, another is just west of the Glacier Park (East Glacier) Station, another at Java over the Flathead River, another near Essex, and another just west of West Glacier (Belton). In addition to the trestles, the Builder travels precarously on ledges high above the river four several miles and again above the highway, passing through several snowsheds--and there is Bad Rock Canyon through Hungry Horse, where there was a bad train wreck during the steam era.

Another major trestle is at Sandpoint (ID); the trestle isn't very high, but it is VERY LONG across the Pend Oreille River. Just west of the Spokane (WA) station is another tall trestle over the Spokane River (which was built in 1970 after the BN merger). There are several high trestles in the Cascades--the two most notable ones being at Foss Creek (on which trains curve around from one ledge to another) and at Sunset Falls on the Skykomish River. The major trestles/bridges on the Portland section are at Pasco (WA), crossing the Columbia River; at Vancouver (WA) crossing the Columbia into Oregon onto Hayden Island and then again from Hayden Island to the North Portland mainland and the bridge across the Willamette River. However, none of these bridges is very high, but they (at least the one at Pasco and the two from Vancouver) are LONG. Also, the one at Pasco, the two near Vancouver, and the Willamette River bridges all have movable spans to open and close for river traffic. The Seattle section has one near the Ballard Bay locks. For me, crossing these bridges is part of the fun of riding.

Thanks for the link to the pictures. I bookmarked it and will show it to my husband later. He thinks those bridges are neat. Me personally, I wonder about how well those bridges are maintained and such.

It is very rare for accidents to occur on large trestles over land. They are very well maintained, and get regular inspections by the host railroad. I know first hand that the Vermonter goes over a HUGE trestle in Vermont on the NECR, and they haven't had any issues (and the NECR isn't in the greatest shape). You'll be fine. Remember you're safer on the train than you are in your car.

I showed my husband the pictures and they don't bother him. Maybe it's a woman's thing. Any women on this board that can sympathize with me? LOL

Sorry- cant blame it on the genes! Am going on the EB this week, and the pics just made me all the more excited to go!

Out of curosity- do you fly?

The paint does seem to evolve every few sets of paint or so. They've switched vendors a few times so that might have something to do with it.

To Carolyn,

No I haven't flown in many years since I was leaving Switzerland and they had a hard time getting the plane going and we sat on the inside and waited while firemen were doing something on the outside. From that trip on, I got spooked. I did travel to Florida after that. Also, since we have kids we have driver to most of our destinations. This year was the first time we took a train.

Gingee,

I'm sure that you'll have a blast with your family while the engineer is "driving" the train, chef cooking food for you, chatting with passengers, etc. You don't have to worry a bit.

Riding on train is a TOTALLY different experience than airplane or car. B)

Am taking the EB to Portland leaving tomorrow (!)- so I will let you know how it goes! I fly alot, last summer hit windshear over the middle of the Pacific, flight attendants sitting on the floor holding on to the seats, lots of very frantic people (including the pilot!)...have flown multiple times since then, but cant imagine that it wont be a whole lot safer sitting 10 feet off the ground. I guess you can always take an extended potty- break when the trestles come up?

Carolyn

I know this is a old topic but I was going through trying to find some of the pictures of the high spots the train takes. On the most famous high one, how long are you crossing on that spot?

I know this is a old topic but I was going through trying to find some of the pictures of the high spots the train takes. On the most famous high one, how long are you crossing on that spot?
You need to get over this fear of being on a tressle. There is a better chance you will be hit by a meteor than the train having a problem on the tressle.

Those are good pictures.

To Mr.FS - So does your wife go on these train trips with you?

Aloha

After see Steve's pictures I almost want to hide mine, but the different viewpoint explaine why I didn't realize we were on any treastles. From the train the views dont show the bridges.

Mahalo for the reference.

Eric

As someone who is absolutely terrified of heights, I can say that the builder never really gave me an impression of being too high up for comfort.

Back