Empire Builder Train Number 8

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
Wonder what happened to it....it sits in St.Paul.....almost 12 hours late. AMTRAK status says "service disruption"........at that point, what do they do with the people on board and the people that were waiting to leave at 7:50am this morning. I'm new around this stuff.....so don't be to &*)<$ with me.

Wonder what happened to it....it sits in St.Paul.....almost 12 hours late. AMTRAK status says "service disruption"........at that point, what do they do with the people on board and the people that were waiting to leave at 7:50am this morning. I'm new around this stuff.....so don't be to &*)<$ with me.
What they can.... Things happen. I remember waiting on the (outdoor) platform at Lafayette, IN for nearly 8 hours one February day....

From St. Paul, if the train is more than a certain amount late (don't know the exact threshold, usually three hours or so; late enough that connections will be missed), they'll generally run an on-time bus from MSP.

From St. Paul, if the train is more than a certain amount late (don't know the exact threshold, usually three hours or so; late enough that connections will be missed), they'll generally run an on-time bus from MSP.
That's for the passengers boarding at MSP of course. Those on the late train generally stay on the late train and arrive into Chicago late.

That's for the passengers boarding at MSP of course. Those on the late train generally stay on the late train and arrive into Chicago late.
This is correct. One thing to say about the Manager of Stations at MSP is that he is, unusual for Amtrak, very proactive. When it comes to late trains and getting as many people with connections in Chicago, to Chicago, he works very hard at making sure on-time buses are available and will be there.

This is correct. One thing to say about the Manager of Stations at MSP is that he is, unusual for Amtrak, very proactive. When it comes to late trains and getting as many people with connections in Chicago, to Chicago, he works very hard at making sure on-time buses are available and will be there.

You just answered a question that I was ponedring, as to who makes the call for bus bridges, the station or Amtrak central. Sounds like it is the station managers.

Hopefully this doesn't happen...we didn't pay to ride a bus (MSP to CHI), but in the outside chance that it does...do they dead-head the bus to CHI or do they stop at all the regular stops of Amtrak???

Last edited by a moderator:

You just answered a question that I was ponedring, as to who makes the call for bus bridges, the station or Amtrak central. Sounds like it is the station managers.
The gentleman I'm referring to is actually the District Manager Stations. He's responsible for Amtrak stations from Wiliston, ND to Glenview, IL.

Hopefully this doesn't happen...we didn't pay to ride a bus (MSP to CHI), but in the outside chance that it does...do they dead-head the bus to CHI or do they stop at all the regular stops of Amtrak???
What would be the point of running the bus if it was deadheading? (Deadheading means running out of service between two points, if it's carrying passengers, then it's not deadheading.)

There are generally multiple buses used. Sometimes one can be an express, with others making local stops.

In the past, they've sent the buses to Milwaukee, and had passengers transfer to a Hiawatha. I can't recall if that's standard, or if it's dependent on the situation.

Thank you Trogdor....I guess I should have said "express" rather than deadhead....sorry. Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back