Empire Builder To Get Fresh New Look

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rmadisonwi said:
The Empire Builder's equipment is captive, so, in general, it shouldn't mix with other routes.
The way I figure it, they need five fully refurbished train sets to maintain the EB schedule.

Since I haven't had my ear to the rail, I wasn't even aware that they've been refurbishing diners and lounges.

Lucky for me, I booked an October trip back in March. Now I'm looking forward to it even more!

Mr.FSS is correct about the bed sizes. My wife and I took a May round trip on the EB (CHI-PDX). We shared the lower bed and never had the attendant prepare the upper. I am 5'10" (170 lb) and my wife is 5'2" and we both fit on the bed with plenty of room. Even after 39 years together, we still like to sleep close.

We had the refurbished sleepers going and coming. The one out was great, but the return one had already been worn out. Maybe it was one involved in the derailment a couple of months ago. The separate chair that usually is movable was bolted to the floor and wall. You couldn’t move it or adjust the back. It was very uncomfortable.

The bath is a great improvement over the old style and the sink faucets stay on a few seconds after being activated making it easier to wash hands and rinse out a wash cloth.

We were the last of 13 cars on the train and I took advantage of the view from the rear. It was great while going through Glacier NP.

SouthernServesTheSouth said:
the return one had already been worn out. Maybe it was one involved in the derailment a couple of months ago.
If you're referring to the Empire Builder derailment near Vancouver, WA, in April, that equipment is sitting in Beech Grove right now. It's probably not going to see revenue service for a long time.

In fact, that equipment sat out in Washington until late last month, when it was finally prepped to operate in a "hospital train" to Chicago, then to Beech Grove.

According to the website, the bedroom (deluxe) had the same width bed as a family bedroom. My wife and I both slept on one in a family bedroom with no problem. My wife is is like 5'9" 180 and I am 6'1" and well over 200 pounds :(

All the re-built cars in the world won't help the trip if the same old crews "wit attitudes" continue to man these trains... :angry:

Back