Empire Builder Summer Blues Started Early this year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: provisioning. This is only gossip I overheard, but it seemed that Amtrak is REALLY REALLY trying to be conservative with ANY outgo of money or supplies right now and for the past month or so.
that may be so. we were on the eb rt spk-chi a couple weeks ago. 8 hours late into chi and sleeper pax got a nearly full "extra" dinner. coach pax got the dinty moore. also, the lounge car broke out the emergency snack packs. in the past, on 8 hour+ late trains i have seen them stop and stock up on subway sandwiches for coach folks. on our return we were about 8 hours late into spk. we got an "extra" breakfast but those in coach got nothing. not even snack packs afaik. i wondered about it and maybe you have the answer

Re: provisioning. This is only gossip I overheard, but it seemed that Amtrak is REALLY REALLY trying to be conservative with ANY outgo of money or supplies right now and for the past month or so.
that may be so. we were on the eb rt spk-chi a couple weeks ago. 8 hours late into chi and sleeper pax got a nearly full "extra" dinner. coach pax got the dinty moore. also, the lounge car broke out the emergency snack packs. in the past, on 8 hour+ late trains i have seen them stop and stock up on subway sandwiches for coach folks. on our return we were about 8 hours late into spk. we got an "extra" breakfast but those in coach got nothing. not even snack packs afaik. i wondered about it and maybe you have the answer
There were two other curious details.

Newspapers - On EB, none at all our first morning, then on second morning there were only enough for one sleeper car - none for mine nor for the transdorm revenue customers.

Convenience bags [shampoo, lotion, etc] were not placed in each room/roomette, but rather in a basket where the coffee and other drinks were available. All had disappeared by the first evening. Anyone who hadn't known to look for this little amenity and the later riders all missed it. That was on the EB. On the CS 14(30), there were no convenience bags at all. I didn't need the bag, so didn't think to ask about it on either train.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed assessment. Gee, one would think that Amtrak could have done a better job planning that trip. 5 Private cars and barely enough power to get over Marias Pass, plus running out of food sounds like someone did a poor job of provisioning. Having been on quite a few late LD trains, once you lose your "slot" things just seem to snowball.......
An announcement one of the conductors made about having just the two engines suggested that the problem was simply that another loco just wasn't available in Seattle. I hope Amtrak was paid sufficiently to haul those private cars for it to help pay current bills. We had seen the same cars on my CS [30] from CA to Seattle:

Mid-America Mohave MRLX 800651

Wisconsin Valley Lounge 800787

The Milwaukee River 800195

MIlwaukee Road Superdome 800862

Lamberts Point 800702

Overheard an employee on board one of these otherwise empty cars that there had been a Levi Strauss private conference that used these cars in California.

Both the private cars on the end of #28(2) that was so late and #7(4) were Friends of the 261 cars, that had been rented for Levi's Station to Station tour. Way too hipster for my tastes, but talking to the crew, apparently it was a fun time for them. After the end of the tour, the Friends had to deadhead the cars home, so they split them between two routes and sold tickets.

I couldn't afford to ride all the way from California, but I did manage to fly down in the morning on Southwest, spend a few hours looking at mosaics on downtown buildings, and then ride back in the Cedar Rapids and the Wisconsin Valley. The latter is a former Le Pub car (and apparently a hospital car before that).

I'm not sure how many passengers were in the private cars on Golden grrrl's train, but there were a dozen on our trip, including four rail enthusiasts from England who flew over to San Francisco to ride the private cars to St. Paul, are returning to Great Britain tonight and then flying back to Minneapolis next weekend for the 261 steam excursion.

The British group with all their flying made my flying down to Chicago to ride the Cedar Rapids back to St. Paul seem positively sensible.

We were about two hours late into St. Paul. We lost half an hour over a problem with one of the Cedar Rapids' brake shoes, but the real culprit was an interlocking by the Pig's Eye yard just outside St. Paul. Something screwed up the signalling, so repairs had to be made before the interlocking would allow the dispatcher to switch us on to the proper track. It was maddening to be stopped within sight of downtown St. Paul, and not be able to do anything. Well, as it turned out, there was something I could do. I went back to the Wisconsin Valley for another Sierra Nevada.

I like how you board a private car. No standing in line, no kindergarten walk, no show of identity or tickets. On Friday I waited in the Great Hall until 1:45 p.m., then walked to the north side of the station. While Amtrak personnel carefully checked coach passengers' tickets, I announced to a conductor, "I'm riding in the private cars," and walked by. The conductor seemed remarkably uninterested in me, and just reminded me that the private cars were on the end of the train.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed assessment. Gee, one would think that Amtrak could have done a better job planning that trip. 5 Private cars and barely enough power to get over Marias Pass, plus running out of food sounds like someone did a poor job of provisioning. Having been on quite a few late LD trains, once you lose your "slot" things just seem to snowball.......
An announcement one of the conductors made about having just the two engines suggested that the problem was simply that another loco just wasn't available in Seattle. I hope Amtrak was paid sufficiently to haul those private cars for it to help pay current bills. We had seen the same cars on my CS [30] from CA to Seattle:

Lamberts Point 800702

Overheard an employee on board one of these otherwise empty cars that there had been a Levi Strauss private conference that used these cars in California.

Both the private cars on the end of #28(2) that was so late and #7(4) were Friends of the 261 cars, that had been rented for Levi's Station to Station tour. Way too hipster for my tastes, but talking to the crew, apparently it was a fun time for them. After the end of the tour, the Friends had to deadhead the cars home, so they split them between two routes and sold tickets.

I couldn't afford to ride all the way from California, but I did manage to fly down in the morning on Southwest, spend a few hours looking at mosaics on downtown buildings, and then ride back in the Cedar Rapids and the Wisconsin Valley. The latter is a former Le Pub car (and apparently a hospital car before that).

I'm not sure how many passengers were in the private cars on Golden grrrl's train, but there were a dozen on our trip, including four rail enthusiasts from England who flew over to San Francisco to ride the private cars to St. Paul, are returning to Great Britain tonight and then flying back to Minneapolis next weekend for the 261 steam excursion.

The British group with all their flying made my flying down to Chicago to ride the Cedar Rapids back to St. Paul seem positively sensible.

We were about two hours late into St. Paul. We lost half an hour over a problem with one of the Cedar Rapids' brake shoes, but the real culprit was an interlocking by the Pig's Eye yard just outside St. Paul. Something screwed up the signalling, so repairs had to be made before the interlocking would allow the dispatcher to switch us on to the proper track. It was maddening to be stopped within sight of downtown St. Paul, and not be able to do anything. Well, as it turned out, there was something I could do. I went back to the Wisconsin Valley for another Sierra Nevada.

I like how you board a private car. No standing in line, no kindergarten walk, no show of identity or tickets. On Friday I waited in the Great Hall until 1:45 p.m., then walked to the north side of the station. While Amtrak personnel carefully checked coach passengers' tickets, I announced to a conductor, "I'm riding in the private cars," and walked by. The conductor seemed remarkably uninterested in me, and just reminded me that the private cars were on the end of the train.
sounds nice. i've always wanted to ride in the skytop observation car i see parked at st paul(i would settle for the great dome, also).

Hey, the EB is doing pretty well right now! This worst delay is 1:18 from 7(5), It's even estimated to arrive at SEA as much as 40 minutes early, though we all know how accurate the ETA is. Train is currently holding 50 mph heading towards ESX.

Lamberts Point 800702

sounds nice. i've always wanted to ride in the skytop observation car i see parked at st paul(i would settle for the great dome, also).
The repositioning moves the Friends of 261 do can be real bargins. Keep looking at their website for postings. I've had the pleasure of riding on two of their repostioning moves - one time having the good fortune of bumping into Mr. & Mrs. Ispolkom.

Golden Girl's comment about Amtrak having less food onboard is a reminder to everyone to eat early! Especially while the Feds remain shutdown, as I would think Amtrak would/should do their best to conserve cash right at the moment, so the trains can at least run as long as possible if the shutdown drags on and on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take note ALL. Every EB is "green" this AM--first time that I can recall this in at least 6 months!!! It may not last, but weekends do certainly help with the performance.

;-))))))

Every time someone asks why I buy snacks for the train when I'm in a sleeper, I point to threads like this. ;)

Take note ALL. Every EB is "green" this AM--first time that I can recall this in at least 6 months!!! It may not last, but weekends do certainly help with the performance.

;-))))))
We have friends in SD and they had 31 inches of snow. Was the highline affected?

I don't think so. The storm had turned to rain by the time it got to Minnesota. Minot was cold and windy, but no snow. But, winter is coming.

ETA. Southern North Dakota got hit, but not much on the Hi Line

Well the greens lasted for just one brief moment. #7 in MT just lost about three hours going thru the construction and #8 currently in WI lost about 1 1/4 hours after leaving MSP. It was nice while it lasted.

:-(

Well the greens lasted for just one brief moment. #7 in MT just lost about three hours going thru the construction and #8 currently in WI lost about 1 1/4 hours after leaving MSP. It was nice while it lasted.

Indeed, almost everything is red again. The only thing still green is the 8 (7), which just departed SEA on-time.

St. Cloud is a crew change point. Probably waiting on a rested crew, as hours get all out of whack when trains run late.

Another brutal day for the EBs. East bound #8 in MT lost almost 3 hours between Libby and West Glacier-usually a place where they can make up time (and they still have to go thru the worst area this evening-not looking good for this train at all) and #8 in MN is well over 4 hours behind and continues to lose time (best guesstimate into CHI is well after 8 PM). My BNSF guy says some of the delays are due to construction, but a good part may be due to increased freight traffic, which he noted has picked up in a push to move products before winter sets in along the hi-line, especially grain and energy related products and materials for these construction projects. He said expect at least another two weeks of some significant delays from time to time (mostly Monday thru Friday), with a slow down in activity after the second week in November.

Another brutal day for the EBs. East bound #8 in MT lost almost 3 hours between Libby and West Glacier-usually a place where they can make up time (and they still have to go thru the worst area this evening-not looking good for this train at all) and #8 in MN is well over 4 hours behind and continues to lose time (best guesstimate into CHI is well after 8 PM). My BNSF guy says some of the delays are due to construction, but a good part may be due to increased freight traffic, which he noted has picked up in a push to move products before winter sets in along the hi-line, especially grain and energy related products and materials for these construction projects. He said expect at least another two weeks of some significant delays from time to time (mostly Monday thru Friday), with a slow down in activity after the second week in November.

eastbound 8 is now shown as a service disruption at shelby. anyone know what happened?

It does look like the West Bound #7/#27 do a lot Better on the Hi Line and even Make Up All or Most of the Downtime before Arrival into SEA and PDX! Todays #7 and #27 are Right on Time! :)

Hope this Continues, we'll be on #7/#27 out of CHI to PDX after the Gathering and Connecting to #11 for LAX!!!

I didn't think to ask when I was in the lounge. I discovered I left my kindle at home, so spent my 45 minutes in the lounge eating lunch and downloading kindle books onto my iPod touch using the wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back